Using MB branded engine oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HKnMBenz

Car
Mercedes, C220D 2016 Saloon AMG Line
Hi,

sorry if this is already out there but i have been looking for which engine oil to buy. I was thinking shell but it’s like £50 for 5 litres and I rang MB and they do their own branded oil. I did ask with cars that get serviced is it only MB engine oil that is used which they did say yes on. But I do know BMW services use Shell or quality CastrolEdge oil and they don’t have their own branded oil.

Mercedes are charging me 5litres £25 which i find is reasonable but I’m just thinking that why is Shell so much more expensive. If mercedes have approved engine oil with their own brand i’ll go with that but does anyone have bad history with this oil? 😂 thanks

£50 for 5 L is madness. I've used shell MB spec oil in the past and it was half that price. Best deal at the moment is genuine MB oil on ebay at £72 for 20L.

I used MB £25 for 5 litre and £5 for extra 1 litre.all good.

I'm running the Mercedes stuff from eBay in my M156 and it's not complained...previously I was running Mobil 1.

Without starting the oil debate, as long as it meets the spec, the rest is believed to be down to marketing and brand loyalty commanding premiums.

I recently found out baby formula is made to legislative specification; while there are varying levels of ingredients, a certain minimum is required. Taking the same logic with oil blends, if it meets a certain specification, then it's fair to assume anything extra is exactly that, extra.

And that's where the personal choice or use case comes in, if there's an element your use case needs, it may be that the Mobil blend is preferred over the other blend and so forth. But if we're talking about meeting a specification without any additional requirements...then crack on with whatever suits your budget and preference according to required spec.

I've done plenty cold starts, ran the engine to red line, drove it hard in manual mode and I don't notice any difference what so ever, other than a huge saving to my bank balance...

Just buy the MB branded stuff. It's the right stuff for your car and cheap if you buy it on eBay from dealers or authorised sellers

If anyone is buying oil expensively in 5L containers because they think a 20L container will spend too long on the shelf before it all gets used then it really isn't a problem. The oil manufacturers will say it's good for 5 years and in reality you will use most of up in 3 oil changes or 2 years from the first change.

The MB oil is good stuff - it may be what the dealer puts in if you have your car serviced at a main dealer, but not necessarily as dealers are free to use any brand of oil which meets MB specifications. If you're not sure which viscosity and spec is required for your car then your MB parts counter can confirm. Buy bigger containers for better value.

If anyone is buying oil in 5L containers because they think a 20L container will spend too long on the shelf before it all gets used then it really isn't a problem. The oil manufacturers will say it's good for 5 years and in reality you will use most of up in 3 oil changes or 2 years from the first change.
I agree. The only draw back with the 20 litre container is that it can be heavy and cumbersome to pour. I used to leave one at the dealer for them to use when I had my cars serviced - saved a lot of hassle!

As far as I’m concerned, if the oil meets or betters the MB recommendation for the engine oil, I will buy the cheapest. This along with the correct oil service is and how I’ve always run my cars.

While we're on the subject, and it's a bit cheeky I know, but I have a brand new 5L MB 229.5 oil container, which I have no use for anymore - £15 collected from Bozeat, nr Wellingborough :p

I decant the 20l into my empty Mercedes 5L "gallons". There is something strangely satisfying lining up the 5L gallons (but then I do have OCD).

I also buy oil filters in a bundle pack and get discount. Both the wife's and my car use the same filters.

While we're on the subject, and it's a bit cheeky I know, but I have a brand new 5L MB 229.5 oil container, which I have no use for anymore - £15 collected from Bozeat, nr Wellingborough :p
If you're in no rush to get rid of it to clear up space, I'm happy to buy it/pay for it now and collect down the line at some point.

I have a mate who lives in Northampton so could visit him and collect the oil then, just have no idea when that'll be...

Better yet I could ask my friend if he's willing to collect it for me that way you don't need to sit on it. He lives pretty much slap bang in Wellingborough town centre...

Reactions: GLK
If you're in no rush to get rid of it to clear up space, I'm happy to buy it/pay for it now and collect down the line at some point.

I have a mate who lives in Northampton so could visit him and collect the oil then, just have no idea when that'll be...

Better yet I could ask my friend if he's willing to collect it for me that way you don't need to sit on it. He lives pretty much slap bang in Wellingborough town centre...
Thanks!
I'm alright with storage space - a brand new shed just went up last weekend ... as soon as I oil it (different type, not 229.5 I promise!), I can begin stuffing it up :rolleyes:
So yes, if you want it - it's yours. Either way is fine - whatever is more convenient for you.
I'll PM you the details.
50490781066_9cb64d0045_o.jpg

Jesus Christ, I'm a moron. 229.51 is what I use, not 229.5 🤦🏽‍♀️

Last edited:
Reactions: GLK
Poor understanding on your behalf !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom