Using Microsft Edge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
Tried using Edge as a browser tonight as Chrome is really dragging.

Positives.... Its fast and intuitive, favourites are easily imported. But that's about it. Maybe I need more time with it.

Negatives... Favourites from Chrome couldn't be imported:wallbash:

Annoying pop up adverts every new page. No support yet for any add ons or extensions which mean no adblock plus:wallbash: MS really have got this browser locked down.

Difficulty in changing search engine from Bing to Google.
Microsoft really are collecting a lot of info from us and hammering adverts they think are pertinent to me.

I'm getting really fed up the way Google/FB/MS are collecting my personal info every time I click on a web page. I really am wondering if the huge increase in unwanted scam/PPI/claim/survey phone calls I'm getting are somehow connected to this info.

Big brother is most certainly watching.

I use IE at the moment (still on 7) but I intend to try out Edge when I switch and move away from IEIEO.

I notice IE was pausing quite badly this evening too. I wonder if it is the ads issue again...

I didn't realise anyone still used IE browser except for business these days:D

I've used it for 20 years now so it's hard getting out of the habit!

I think the need to use IE was true up until a couple of years ago but many MS based cloud apps now support Chrome and Safari just as well as IE, although IE still tends to be the only browser offering drag and drop configuration support in applications such as SharePoint and MS CRM. Bit of a nuisance for us as we have to power up IE in Parallels just to do some small config jobs.

I see that all versions of IE now account for less than 7% of web visits compared to 12%+ in 2013 and 20%+ in 2011.

Will Edge reverse the trend?

Having installed W10 and spent a month trying it out is there a way to return to W7 please?

Having installed W10 and spent a month trying it out is there a way to return to W7 please?

Scrub this request. I googled it and it's now done..........back to some degree of normality. and relax. :D

Quite true. At work there are some sites that I have to use that will only work in IE and actively refuse connections from other browsers.

I do force my users to have IE though as there are more AD Controls for IE than there are for Chrome and FF

Scrub this request. I googled it and it's now done..........back to some degree of normality. and relax. :D

Should have been just like a Program removal.

Did you do it and it worked alright?

Whats up with W10? miles better than 8 and far better than 7, takes a little while to get your head around some of the microsoft counter intuitive logic but once youve figured that out I think its good. Tried Edge a few times and whilst better than IE it doesnt come close to Chrome

I used to only use Chrome for home use, but now I find that Firefox is much faster and uses less resources. I don't use Edge at all unless I really have to on certain sites.

Whats up with W10? miles better than 8 and far better than 7, takes a little while to get your head around some of the microsoft counter intuitive logic but once youve figured that out I think its good. Tried Edge a few times and whilst better than IE it doesnt come close to Chrome

My experience exactly.

Some people adapt to change and some simply won't.

'Cutting your nose off to spite your face' smiley.

Should have been just like a Program removal.

Did you do it and it worked alright?

Yes , no bother. Lost all the stored passwords but it did that going to W10 so no real deal.

Because of the way I use W7 (desktop icons) it was a real pita to work round. Why should I change my modus operandi to suit what MS thinks is a good idea? And the photo app (if that's what they call it) is just gross.

My experience exactly.

Some people adapt to change and some simply won't.

'Cutting your nose off to spite your face' smiley.

Usual tactless insulting comment from you. If you've not got something useful to add why don't you just not bother?

'My face is fine the way it is' smiley.

Yes , no bother. Lost all the stored passwords but it did that going to W10 so no real deal.

Because of the way I use W7 (desktop icons) it was a real pita to work round. Why should I change my modus operandi to suit what MS thinks is a good idea? And the photo app (if that's what they call it) is just gross.

Usual tactless insulting comment from you. If you've not got something useful to add why don't you just not bother?

'My face is fine the way it is' smiley.

Jeez mate, if you find my comment insulting you need to keep your emotions in check. :rolleyes:

Back on topic, Microsoft Edge isn't too bad and if it would take AdBlock it would be fine. I was massively disappointed with Windows 8 so W10 can only be seen as an improvement by me.

One thing that is being slowly introduced into Win10 is advertising:wallbash:

Only to be expected I guess considering the OS has to be paid for some way.

(Just noticed why Chrome was running so slowly yesterday........ I was accidentally using a proxy:wallbash:. Usually reserved for streaming content you can't get here in the UK or sites my ISP blocks.)

One thing that is being slowly introduced into Win10 is advertising:wallbash:

Only to be expected I guess considering the OS has to be paid for some way.

(Just noticed why Chrome was running so slowly yesterday........ I was accidentally using a proxy:wallbash:. Usually reserved for streaming content you can't get here in the UK or sites my ISP blocks.)

I must confess that I advertise on Google and Facebook sometimes. Against all my instincts FB gets better results than Google, I've not tried Bing yet but am considering it.

Sorry about the ads, I never see them due to AdBlock :p

Sorry about the ads, I never see them due to AdBlock :p

I don't see them either, unless forced to use Edge:D

Edit: We are at cross purposes here. I meant MS are introducing advertising into the Start menu on Win10 preview build 10547.
It's the sign of things to come.

Last edited:
I've always looked forward to new versions of Windows have been keen to jump - albeit waiting until I knew everything would work in later upgrades (I learnt the hard way moving to Windows 95 and 98 too early).

However, I think 7 is by far and away the best OS they've released to date (excluding 10 which I've not tried yet properly).

I am just about to upgrade to 10 now I have a clear month to really try it - but I am finding it difficult to motivate having already tried it.

However, Windows 7 loses support in 01/20 which is not far away - and I will end up on 10 anyway (plus it is free now for a year!).

So I will probably persist and hopefully will end up liking it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom