using non bt email addresses through bt broadband

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DavidL

MB Enthusiast
Car
s203 C55, x218 CLS63
I've kept the same email address for ages (old freeserve one). I've used several ISP over the years and simply altered the smtp for the new provider to allow me to send mail.
I've just signed up with BT and I can't get this to work. I did, I managed to get one mail out but I didn't realise the significance and I can't remember how.
I've used the settings on the bt page but keep getting errors. Its uses ssl with a normal password.It asks (sometimes) for a password for mail.btbroadband.com and I've used all the ones I have setup whilst setting up the account but no joy.
Now reading around it I now see that BT doesn't like other email addresses through their smtp but I got one out!
I wish I knew what I did.
Anyone done this successfully?
Thanks

I see no reason why a freeserve address should work with any other providor. If it did work then it would be a weakness on their system to allow emails to be sent without authorisation.

So, sorry I cannot offer any advice on how to make it work, as it should not work.

From a very distant memory - I had to speak to BT to get them to switch a setting off. This was years ago so there may be a setting somewhere nowadays I think...

I see no reason why a freeserve address should work with any other providor. If it did work then it would be a weakness on their system to allow emails to be sent without authorisation.

So, sorry I cannot offer any advice on how to make it work, as it should not work.

I've just swopped from plusnet and using their smtp settings I had no issue sending freeserve emails

It shouldn't matter - we got BT broadband and happily continued to use our old sky.com, gmail, hotmail, etc accounts.

That doesn't help you set it up, but at least you should approach BT with confidence, to get it sorted :)

I've just swopped from plusnet and using their smtp settings I had no issue sending freeserve emails

It could be that PlusNet bought a part of Freeserve so allowed your connection. To allow non authenticated email through your server will get your server address blacklisted, do a google on "open relay"

I think BT allow relay as long as you use your BT account user/pass to authenticate the non BT email address.

This is the guide from PlusNet which effectivly provides an open relay for three providors, it could be yours was free-online? to allow non authenticated emails to be sent. Very bad practice IMHO.

https://www.plus.net/help/archive/email/email-switch/

Last edited:
Yes it was common practice for ISP's to allow SMTP relay for 3rd party email accounts. That said, not seen anyone need this still in the 21st C?

Came across this which may help. Its old and refers to BT Yahoo, not BT Mail, but is still present in their support website.

Can I use an existing non-BT Yahoo email account when I connect? | BT

Seems to follow Mark's post above i.e. suggesting you log the non BT account on to the BT server using your BT username and then tick the box to drop server authentication.

This appears to be the BT Mail equivalent:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/...tting-up-an-external-email-address-in-bt-mail

Both of these seem to refer to accessing your old ISPs email system, is this what you are trying to do, or is it just using the old address with BT's email system?

Last edited:
My primary email address is still wanadoo - even though my ISP has been BT for quite a few years. Windows Live Mail checks incoming emails on both my Wanadoo and my BTinternet email accounts, and I can choose which email address I send from.

As Mark says, ISPs will let you use their SMTP server if you authenticate with it (ie use your username & password to login to their outgoing mail server)

Sometimes the problem (of not being able to use an ISPs outgoing mail server) can be got round by connecting using a different port such as 456 or 587. The traditional port 25 for SMTP is usually blocked for all non-authenticated users

It sounds complicated - and can be - but, once you realise that mail sending (via SMTP) and collecting (via POP or IMAP) are completely different tasks, it becomes a lot clearer

Nick Froome

Sorted. In the end using orange details worked and getting the correct combination of things. It really isn't helped by different ISPs using different terminology regarding authentication and passwords. For the uninitiated (me) working out what they all meant was the stumbling block.
Thanks for your input.
David

BT changed this suddenly overnight maybe about 10 years ago as used to have an open relay. Obviously this became an issue so they stopped it.....overnight..... suddenly....With not notice. One morning no BT business customer could send mail....caused a fair bit of grief for many for a few days!

There are two ways round it. Either authenticate with your BT details to their outgoing mail server. Or call them and get them to add your domain/email address on to their DNS/server for your account.

We came across this now and again but only because we don't often come across BT connections. Most of our customers have our connections of course

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom