Using sealant to fix a slow tyre leak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ozboy

Car
W213
I have a very slow leak in front tyre c. 0.5 Bar over 2 weeks and wondering if using a sealant, such as Slime, that is fed through the valve a viable fix? I am considered using Slime as it does not harm the run flat pressure sensors.

I have already had the tyre refitted and the rims cleaned during my this process to ensure it was seated correctly. They could not find a leak in the tyre when placed in water.

This slime is good .But the tyre shop hate it .I know i used a tin on one on my Rover V8 tyre on a super slot alloy. I was miles form home, and it was going down fast .When the tyre shop opened it up, i could not understand thier lingo but i know F was in there

The use of Sealant would be my last resort, as already mentioned the Tyre Fitters won't be best pleased and I have heard of places refusing to deal with Wheels/Tyres filled with Sealant!

As an aside! How old are the Rims? I had a similar situation to your on a Renault, it turned out to be the Alloy Rim had become Porous! (Age related)

The use of Sealant would be my last resort, as already mentioned the Tyre Fitters won't be best pleased and I have heard of places refusing to deal with Wheels/Tyres filled with Sealant!

As an aside! How old are the Rims? I had a similar situation to your on a Renault, it turned out to be the Alloy Rim had become Porous! (Age related)

I am part exchaning my car in June when new one arrives so just looking for a quick fix. I average less than 5000 miles a year.

The car is a 2013 E-Class and rim just has nornal kerb damage from London parallel parking.

Any other ideas are approciated? I am loathed to buy a new tyre or wheel.

It could well be the rim. Had the same on my old focus and had to change the rim eventually after they'd tried cleaning and putting sealant on and all sorts.

Oz how fast does it go down? I lived with mine for a while, just a quick pump up at the weekend.

Oz how fast does it go down? I lived with mine for a while, just a quick pump up at the weekend.

Goes down about 0.5 bar in two weeks before the tyre pressure indicator lights up. The car is seldom driven.

Get a tyre garage to apply some bead sealant and see if it cures it

Get a tyre garage to apply some bead sealant and see if it cures it

Bead was sealed when tyre shop re-seated the tyre. Currently using coin operated gauge at local shell garage. Always the same one.

Wow... just had a quick look at the Slime FAQ and this is their advice:

I’ve heard Slime will ruin my rims, is that true?

Our Slime Sealant for tubeless tires is formulated with rust and corrosion inhibitors as well as a pH buffer making the product more alkaline. All of these ingredients work to protect the integrity of your rim. It is important to note there are factors which can allow damage to occur in spite of this. If you want to err on the side of caution, you can use Slime as a roadside repair. All you need is Slime and an air compressor! Slime can have an adverse effect on certain types of aluminum rims. Because alloys differ, it is difficult to predict how Slime will react with your rims specifically. Over the years, though, we have found that older rims are more susceptible to damage from Slime. Make sure that, if you have tubeless tires, you are using our tubeless formula. Our inner tube formula does not contain rust and corrosion inhibitors. Do not leave Slime inside your tires for more than 2 years. After that time, we cannot guarantee the integrity of your rims. If pre-existing damage is present, we do not recommend using Slime.

Also had a slow leak and nothing showing from the tyre. Kwik-fit charged £25 to take the tyre off clean both rims with a rotary wire brush coat with sealer and remount. No more trouble so far but will probably have the wheel refurbished at some point.

Had a similar slow leak in my old wheels, after visiting the tyre shop, they found a cracked wheel. Even though you are getting rid of the car it may be advisable to get whatever it is fixed. The tyre shop should do a bath test to see where the leak is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom