Using Sky+ or Q at more than one address?

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by MD5, Oct 11, 2018.

1. MD5

MD5 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    wme451 a124 r129 s211 r230 w251
    I've been speaking to Sky today about using my Sky+ box in two different properties whilst also considering Sky Q as an upgrade. One dept says I can use the Sky+ in two different locations and another says I can't.

I know the Q package needs an additional adapter, but does anyone have experience of using their Sky boxes in other locations away from home, whether it's Sky+ or Sky Q?

2. SPX

SPX MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That one
    I do - I used to own a static caravan on the glorious coast of East Yorkshire and took our Sky box with us when we went (I had a Sky dish installed there).

Just be aware though that the Sky Q cables are different from the “old” Sky ones; we had to have it upgraded when we changed to the Q.

MD5 likes this.
  3. addbuyer

addbuyer Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Panamera Turbo S
    Are you talking about taking a sky box from one property to the other to use. Our Sky box stays at home but we can watch it anywhere in the world by using SlingPlayer and their app through devices like iPad, Android box, fire stick, Apple TV etc. You get a slight delay of say 3 seconds whilst changing channel or accessing the planner etc but that’s all. No second contract or moving boxes. I would get Sky Q if only it was compatible with SlingPlayer but alas....

MD5 likes this.
  4. bob6600

bob6600 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    AUDI S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)

Shouldn't have needed to change them mate, the cables are the same, it's the LNB on the dish that needs changing for a 'smart' one. I just had mine upgraded and just the boxes and LNB were changed.

@OP if you only have one box and want to use it elsewhere it won't be a problem. This is true definitely for SKY+/SKYHD boxes. It should be the same for Sky Q but I haven't explored it properly yet.

If you are looking to use a second/multiroom box elsewhere it used to be a problem because you needed it connected to a phone line so they could tell where it was. They stopped doing this around 18 months ago. Sky Q mini boxes will not work on their own as they need the main box to work

MD5 likes this.
  5. SPX

SPX MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That one
    Yes Bob, you’re quite right, I’m getting confused in my old age!

bob6600 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    MD5

Car:
    Thanks for the replies, all. My Sky contract has expired, and I will be spending my time between two properties. Ideally, I need broadband at both, and a physically transportable TV package. The second property has a communal dish, which I believe will accommodate Sky Q, but they adamantly tell me the Q package is confined to the primary property. I currently have Sky+HD, which from what you say will be viewable at both, although some of Sky denies this.

The current Sky Q package on offer is less than half of what I'm paying at the moment, but it's not really any good if I can't use it at both. Is Sky Q that much better than HD to warrant my dilemma? They are calling me back in the morning, as their system went down earlier this afternoon.

7. Lennox

Lennox Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    GTD /A6 Ultra - Merc next time!!
    My parents do this with two Sky+ 2TB boxes works perfectly. UK and France. Just don't connect the phone line abroad.

I may be wrong but since you don't get multiple sky cards with Q you cannot therefore use it in two locations. Slave boxes just connect over the internal WiFi
    Not sure if you could open gateways to connect over the Internet. Doubt it

The function to record once and watch in multiple rooms (love this feature) and 4k (limited) are the main attractions but if you are not going to do that, pointless. Plus I prefer the old listings view. Q almost has too many options. It's like I drive, simple screens, but the Mercs command has too many layers.

One huge advantage though of you house was wired for multiroom as mine was (5 rooms) you can remove all the cabling. The sky chap actually change not only the LNB but the dish and the main cable as well. House looks so much better with out a hindered meters of black cables wrapped round it.

And Sky DON'T want you to be using in multiple locations. If you connect the second location to the telephone they used to deactivate the cards. I know a senior person in billing at Sky and we have had this discussion recently. Not aware of any policy changes as Bob hints towards.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    MD5 likes this.
  8. bob6600

Car:
    I only say about the policy changes because I had this discussion about a year ago when I disconnected one of the phone lines to a box because it was dead. Sky sent letters, a phone call to them stopped that and they didn't insist on reconnecting it. Also on Sky Q installation the engineer said it was about 18 months ago but he could be wrong.

I would have kept my SkyHD as it was always dearer to have Sky Q however a recent offer meant no additional cost and A 2TB box plus a mini for £20. I also got another mini for £26 after a lot of arguing!. The feature to record more than 2 channels is a plus for me however I don't currently have a 4K TV yet so no benefit there (yet).

I am currently having connection issues though so if the engineer can't sort it next week I may be going back to SKY HD

MD5 likes this.
  9. ShaunB

ShaunB Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W212 Diamond White E63
    I don't even bother connecting my sky q box to the phoneline

MD5 and Deleted96908 like this.
  10. SPX

SPX MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That one
    You can use the Sky Q box in different locations, I did so without any bother.

MD5 likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    MD5

Car:
    Thanks Lennox, that's really helpful. A couple of questions below, if you can help please?

Thanks for everyone else's replies. I'm wondering how important the phone connection is, and how a viewing card is disabled? I've disconnected the phone cable here this morning, and I haven't blown up yet!

Sky is currently quoting a one off £20 payment for the 1TB Q box installation or £199 one off for the 2TB Q box.

Lennox likes this.
  12. bob6600

Car:
    As I said, phone connections are not important anymore. If you do receive a letter or email from them, just tell them you have moved it to another room and cannot rewire the house just for the sky box!

Sky Q doesn't use a phone line

MD5 likes this.
  13. addbuyer

addbuyer Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Panamera Turbo S
    Since getting the “catch up” dongle thing that you plugged into the Sky box (and now it’s built in of course) I haven’t plugged into the phone line and Sky haven’t chased me about it either. It’s all done over the internet now

14. 400ixl

400ixl Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E250 AMG Sport Convertible
    Phone connection was for you to order services such as box office which is revenue and why they wanted you keep it connected. Clause in the contract that says you must during the minimum contract period. But who does. Disabling a card is done via the dish, so you can't avoid it by unplugging the phone.

As for can you use it in multiple locations, technically yes, contractually no (which may explain why you had differing answers), morally only you can decide.

For Sky Q you can't use a mini outside of the network of the main device, but if you have two main devices you can use them. But seeing as all now allow you to use them on a tablet device, then maybe just get an Android box and plug it into your second location's TV and do it over the internet.

MD5 likes this.
  15. ShaunB

ShaunB Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W212 Diamond White E63
    He can work away then :D

MD5 likes this.
  16. Lennox

Car:
    Not a problem.

Re card needs:
    You need to order multiroom for Sky + as you need two cards unless you are happy hot swapping between locations. I. E. Only one house is in operation at a time.

Then take the 2nd card and box to the new location.

Re: phone connrction
    For Sky: critical to establish location
    For you: zero

Re: box
    1. If you need two cards
    Order the cheapest and then buy this
    Sky+ HD Box Amstrad WIFI DRX895W 2TB PVR6 - 2016 VERSION 3D READY WIFI | eBay
    2. Don't need two cards
    Sky+ HD Box Amstrad WIFI DRX895W 2TB PVR6 - 2016 VERSION 3D READY WIFI | eBay

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

MD5 likes this.
  17. Lennox

Car:
    Yes if you move the physical box...... Not the easiest solution.

Happytalk73 likes this.
  18. Lennox

Car:
    Nice deals, we got it early on but as I know a few people there I got a friends and family deal.. We have 4K tvs in a few rooms but as I refuse to wear my glasses it could be SD for all I know.

bob6600 likes this.
  19. Lennox

Car:
    I don't think you can anyway.......

20. OP
    OP
    MD5

Car:
    Thanks again,everyone. I didn't realise how persistent Sky are! For the time being, I've recontracted my current package, saving £46 pcm, and will facilitate their free housemove service (part of a VIP reward?) and use my existing package in its entirety at the second property where I'll be for about 3 months. I can move it back again foc after, and by then I will have a clearer idea as to what I want, where. I can also experiment a bit myself.

Great replies, thank you.

Ted and Lennox like this.