Using universal roof bars??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shshivji

Car
Mercedes C280 avantgarde SE sport package 2006
Hey all! I've got a w203 c class saloon and I've been looking for a set of roof bars, I priced up a per of genuine ones from mercedes and thought the price was high for what they are. Has anyone here used a universal set of roof bars, is there a particular brand worth going for? Or should I just purchase a set of genuine ones??
Also does the genuine w203 roof bars only fit the w203 and are the estate - saloon ones different?!

Thanks
Shak

Last edited:
I have genuine MB roof bars for my estate and in my opinion they're worth the money. The dealer didn't have the non locking version in stock so they gave me the locking ones for the same price. Naturally they fit properly and I think they look good too.

Estates have rails running the length of the roof onto which the bars mount, so unless you have roof rails on your saloon the estate version won't fit.

Have to agree, get genuine bars designed for your model if you can. If you're lucky and patient, you may bag some from ebay!

Nothing wrong with decent "pattern" roof bars- after all the Mercedes ones will be made by someone else --- Thule??? There is varying quality out there and a friend who keeps his bars on all the time says the " aerodynamic" type bars are conspicuously quieter at motorway speeds than the standard ones [ which in their favour tend to have slightly higher load ratings] So as always you pays your money etc etc . I have roof bars---- so bought some cheap and "cheap and cheerful " Halfords ones---- seem good quality to me. [ not lockable tho]

Last edited:
Cheers for the response guys, will keep a look out for some second hand ones on eBay if none come up I may get some universal.....

Cheers

Shak

I think I paid about £70 for my Thule bars (E220 saloon) from here.

Thule for me too - they aren't completely generic - you specify your model and the guide tells you which bar and clamp to use.

Used to have Thule gear on my other Estates but decided to go for the 'Rolls Royce' of Bars this time and bought some of the Prorack Whispbars!

Mercedes Benz E Class est (03-09) for cars with roof rails:prorack roof bars package - S16 bars with K328 kit.

They're are that quite and make no discernable difference to fuel economy I leave em on all the time now. (Click on the Video link in the above link to see them being noise tested)
Make Merc Bars look shyte! :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom