Utterly pointless?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Clawhamer

Car
Current: C43 C205 Gone: BMW M4 Cab
Realised I’d left my sunroof open so tried to close it from the house using the key. Discovered this feature only works when you’re stood within a few feet of the vehicle. What’s the point of that? I can’t think of a situation that would require opening/closing the doors/windows/sunroof whist stood right next to it. Am I missing something? It just seems utterly pointless to me.

If you have got out of the car and locked the doors only to see the sunroof has been left open its easier to long press the lock button again to close the sunroof rather than faff about opening the door, turning the key to Pos 1, and closing the sunroof on the button.
Its just more convenient as far as I can see.

Can you lock the doors from the house using the key ie. are you not just out of range of the key ?

If you have got out of the car and locked the doors only to see the sunroof has been left open its easier to long press the lock button again to close the sunroof rather than faff about opening the door, turning the key to Pos 1, and closing the sunroof on the button.
I agree with all that, but would be better if you could do it from distance, and also a lot cooler. :cool: :)👍

I agree with all that, but would be better if you could do it from distance, and also a lot cooler. :cool: :)👍

Agreed. If you can lock and unlock the doors from 25+ metres away, closing the sunroof without being almost touching the car would help.

Stand further away, put the key against your head...and see what happens

It's a safety thing. Imagine leaving kids in the car and deciding to close the sunroof when one had his head through the open roof. Though...I could do this 21 years ago in a 5 series.

Can you lock the doors from the house using the key ie. are you not just out of range of the key ?
You can lock/unlock the doors from the house, but to open/close the sunroof/windows you have to stand about 8 inches from the door handle pointing the key at the handle, looking a bit of a berk really. :dk: 👎

Summer opening is IR from the key methinks.

Possibly the advantage is if you drive windows / sunroof open you can close after locking. Then they all return to their partially open (or full) before you get in after unlocking. Just saves a bit o faff when you get in.

Reactions: 219
It's a safety thing. Imagine leaving kids in the car and deciding to close the sunroof when one had his head through the open roof. Though...I could do this 21 years ago in a 5 series.

Much of your statement makes me think of “natural selection”.

Also, the Mercs have a built in safety feature so windows stop closing if they feel resistance.

I get that but it would be a more useful feature to be able to do this from the house too or further away. Even from the app.

The sunroof is on the same system as the windows, which work on infra red, so you need to be close to the car. If it's been hot I just open all the doors first and let the hot air out, saves the Aircon working overtime.

It’s IR for safety: to make sure that you’re next to the care to check for obstructions. Like limbs.

But they stop closing anyway if they feel resistance?!?!
Stick your finger in the gap then close the window.

It takes more resistance than you might think.

They should, and once a limb or other object has got in the way that should prevent the most serious consequences. Being next to the car should prevent the limb or other object getting in the way in the first place.

it’s not designed for opening/closing windows/roof when away from the car. The primary use is to open windows/roof from outside of the car in hot weather - it enables the driver to let the hot air out of the car before getting in - I did this only yesterday.

Realised I’d left my sunroof open so tried to close it from the house using the key. Discovered this feature only works when you’re stood within a few feet of the vehicle. What’s the point of that? I can’t think of a situation that would require opening/closing the doors/windows/sunroof whist stood right next to it. Am I missing something? It just seems utterly pointless to me.
On my car the 'comfort locking' facility is IR and not RF , so only works from close proximity .

The idea , as stated is that if the sunroof or a window has been left open , it can be closed at the touch of a button ( or with older cars by holding the key in the lock position for a few seconds ) .

The most useful side of the function is that , if you return to the car on a hot day , when it will be like a greenhouse inside , you can open all the windows and sunroof BEFORE you get into the car .

Much of your statement makes me think of “natural selection”.

Also, the Mercs have a built in safety feature so windows stop closing if they feel resistance.
Newer ones do ; earlier ones didn't .

My W140 does ; none of my other cars ( W201 , W123 , W116 , W126 , W124 , W114 ) did that ; the W124 had comfort locking but not detection of obstructions , and indeed only one of my W124s ( the Indian one ) had a remote fob , all the others were locked/unlocked by putting the key in the lock .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom