Väth 4.7 M113 engine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

itiejim

Car
Väth 4.7 M113 engine being fitted to Triumph Spitfire
Hi folks, it's my first post here. I'm afraid I don't own a whole Mercedes, but have recently bought a Väth 4.7 engine which I will be mating to an E46 M3 gearbox and fitting to (what was once) a Triumph Spitfire.

I'd like to know a bit more about this engine and this seemed like a good place to start. I have the original receipt from Väth which describes a replacement crank, performance cams, head work, pistons and mods to the ECU. The crank certainly looks special, but if anyone has any more info about this engine I'd be very interested to hear about it..

Also, does anyone know how easy it is to access the data on the standard ECU so that I have something to start with to set up a stand alone one?

Thanks all 👍20210325_115640.jpg

Welcome 👍

Can’t help I’m afraid but very interesting project. Please post your progress and photos.

My wife had a Jeep that I dream about dropping a V8 into. The spitfire will be a beast 😁😎

Looks like you have some sheared water pump bolts to deal with there. Best of luck, sounds like a major project

Looks like you have some sheared water pump bolts to deal with there. Best of luck, sounds like a major project
I'm sure that'll be the least of my problems!

Thanks for the interest folks 👍

Seems like a lot of hassle and expense to end up with something less powerful than a 55 engine. Can't imagine Vaeth had many takers.

I suspect I know where this originally came from, if I'm correct then it's got around 200k on it.

What rear end are you intending to put in it?

Last edited:
It's only got to pull about 750kgs, possibly less, so I'm not worried about it not going well enough and I'd rather have the simplicity and less weight of an NA lump.
The car has a coilover setup at the back with an Impreza R160 plate LSD. It'll be severely traction limited, so can't see me ever breaking that.

Hi , it's a M113 engine and I am sure you have researched it well , I know nothing about the Vaeth side of it but while the lump is out of the car you will want to do some of the obvious M223 stuff , forgive me if you already have these covered. Some of these faults are very rare but have happened.

• As you have the intake off , check carefully the condition of the plugs bunging up the holes on top of the engine case in the middle of the V. I though when one of mine popped (around 135K miles) that it was a super rare fault , but a few members on here had it happen to them.

• Oil pick up tube 'o' ring fails under extreme use , again rare but catastrophic when it happens as there is no oil pressure warning on this engine unless you fit it yourself. The failures I have seen online are normally on engine that are used on tracks . But every engine that had been stripped has found the o ring to be very brittle and MB have changes the 'rubber' that it is made from.
  • Crank position sensor replace.
  • The usual oil weep from rocker seal area and oil cooler/filler assembly. (look sorted in your photos)
Thankfully all of the above are cheap fixes with the engine out.

If the M113 don't work out a mate of mine has a complete V8 engine and trans he took out of an Audi A8 Quattro (that he drove into his workshop and broke for spares) All the ECU's and manifolds are present and correct , ready to go ! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom