V Belt change....When

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Best to go by a visual check during service, you should be advised if its needed, I'm not sure if there is a service schedule for aux belts.

Sounds like you need a bit of peace o'mind medication there. 'Appen buy one and put it in the boot as a spare and then have it changed at your next service interval as preventative maintenance. Both my cars carry spare V Belts - just in case.

If it has little cracks change it. Don't assume a mechanic will have bothered!

Exactly what I've just done. Mine is starting to look tired, so I now have one in my boot from ECP (£15). If it fails the moblio mechanic can fit it for me!

Sounds like you need a bit of peace o'mind medication there. 'Appen buy one and put it in the boot as a spare and then have it changed at your next service interval as preventative maintenance. Both my cars carry spare V Belts - just in case.

That is exactly what im after mate, never crossed my mind to carry a spare...:thumb:

Best to go by a visual check during service, you should be advised if its needed, I'm not sure if there is a service schedule for aux belts.

That's exactly what Olly PCS advised when I asked him about this.

Change it when you see small cracks in the belt.

Which reminds me... I need to change mine once the weather warms up. The new belt has been sitting in the boot for a few weeks now hehe.

Exactly what I've just done. Mine is starting to look tired, so I now have one in my boot from ECP (£15). If it fails the moblio mechanic can fit it for me!
I usually put a new one at my leisure and keep the old one with the car, not that I've ever needed it. Got to be easier than doing it at the roadside.

Carrying a spare saved me on a cold wet evening in cardiff a few years back. Was just starting my 2 hour journey home when I accelerayed onto the M4 and snap I lost the belt.
Luckily I had a spare and they are easy to fit on the smaller cdis so I thought no problem ill have it on in a couple of minutes...a 320 cdi engine is too long in the 210 engine bay!!! Nightmare to do with no torch. Still, I got it on with some bleeding knuckles and drove home. All for the sake of a tenner (ish).

Just remember to also put the tools in that are required to change it.
It won't have them in the on board tool kit.

Some years back I was driving a borrowed Granada when I felt burning smell in the cabin.

Stopped and opened the bonnet, and the belt driving the aircon compressor was smoldering and bellowing thick black smoke. The compressor pulley had seized and the belt was rubbing against shiny metal.

I poured on the belt the contents of a bottle of coke I had in the car, to little effect - burning rubber can be difficult to extinguish.

Worried that the car will catch fire, I cut the belt with a Leatherman (time consuming) and threw it away - safely - then drove off.

The funny thing was the the car's owner was very unhappy when I told him I had to cut the belt.

Just remember to also put the tools in that are required to change it.
It won't have them in the on board tool kit.

I'm not so sure about that, actually. The tensioner has a 17mm 12-point nut on it, that a standard 17mm socket fits. I haven't tried it, but it seems likely that the wheel-brace would do the job. There's certainly room for it on my E220CDI (OM646, same as OM611 down there). Once you have too many cylinders (OM612 270, OM613 320) you may not be able to get to it so easily.

The only other tool you need (not strictly necessary but makes the job easier) is a pin of approx 4mm diameter to hold the tensioner "open".

Or you can pull it on by hand without any tools.
Not every engine is possible but most cdi engines are very easy to wrap around and then just pull up onto the water pump pulley.

The adjuster is 12 sided & your standard wheel brace will be six sided.
I will try it on the next 1 that comes in though

I replaced the belt on my S211 320CDI a little while ago and removing the radiator electric fan assembly which is more awkward than difficult made the job very easy.

I replaced the belt on my S211 320CDI a little while ago and removing the radiator electric fan assembly which is more awkward than difficult made the job very easy.

Strangely enough I changed mine on Saturday on my S320 CDI which is a V6 engine.
I never had to remove the radiator fan or cowling, plenty of room. Is yours the straight 6 engine?

Yes, mines the straight 6 lump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom