V Belt edge frayed (C209 CLK )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MWCLS

MB Enthusiast
Car
S320 CDI Perlite Gray Metallic 2005
Has anyone had a new serpentine belt fray on the outer edge no more than 100 miles after changing?

Reason i ask is mine has, i have noticed the last few colds starts a chirp chirp noise which if i am honest i have heard with past MB which disappears after a 30 secs a min max.

This car a 06 60k CLK 280 chirps until the water temperature is upto around 60oc.

I always replace the serpentine belt as a matter of course on all the MB i have owned tbh the belt that came off looked fine.. maybe a little glazed.

Know my mechanic friend a ex MB tech isnt around until Wednesday i dont need to use the car. I spoke to his dad they have a small vat registered garage he said it sounds like one of the several pulleys. Could be? Although the belt they came off wasnt frayed it may well have been over torqued when fitting although this mechanic has fitted several belts to different MBs i have owned without issue.

Getting there, what pulley is likely to be the culprit or it a case of removing the belt and checking each individually and hoping for the best.

Last question would the car be safe to drive say 5 or 6 miles the frayed outer edge is probably 1.5" on the outside edge ( away from the pulley) down by the alternator.

Any tips advice appreciated

Michael

Last edited:
Remove the poly V belt and spin+ plus "rock" manually any idler and tensioner pulleys. Any wear in the bearings should be apparent. Can't remember if your car has an overrun pulley on the alternator which might be another problem ? They can be replaced if faulty.

Last edited:
Remove the poly V belt and spin+ plus "rock" manually any idler and tensioner pulleys. Any wear in the bearings should be apparent.

Thanks Grober, the car does have a FMBSH. I am probably more likely to do more damage than mend. But now i have a starting point as to what to see what they look at.

Finally got the car down to Gemtech Romford. New tensioner and belt. £217.00 supplied and fitted by John at Gemtech ..no more chirping!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom