V-Class sills & Microns

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alanuk400

Car
2018 W222 Mercedes S-Class LWB & 2006 R171 SLK 55AMG
I am just back from Mercedes to submit a claim for rust on the bottom of the doors & the sills.
They claim that the bottom of the sills have been painted because the Micron readings are 260-280, they say it should be 80-110 which is what the tops of the sill & doorpost are reading. The bottoms look like they have sealant on it ie rough feeling, he says that shouldn't make a difference. Can anyone enlighten me if this is true.
Thanks
Alan

Hi Alan,
I can't imagine the dealer giving you wrong information. Lots of manufacturers use a rubberised protective coating on certain areas but Mercedes-Benz would be fully aware of that. There should be no reason why a dealer would try to wriggle out of getting the vehicle repaired especially if they contract out their work?

Have you had the vehicle from new, or can you find out its complete history?

Good luck with the repair,
John

No I purchased the vehicle last December & don't know full history of it but the paint looks & feels thicker on the bottom of the sill, I have checked another one & it is the same. That would give a higher Micron reading anyway, I think he has got it wrong & the reading should be higher. If someone has a Micron reader & could check their sill that would help
Alan

You could ask the dealer to show you the measurement on another vehicle (one which, to you, feels the same).

I had thought of that, I will see what they say when they get back to me.
Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom