V Poly Belt/pump issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stoker

Car
E 350 CDI Sport /E 250 CDI Sport Convertible/ Nissan XTrail Tekna/W220 S500 Gone/ E220 CDI gone
Sorry if this has ben raised many times before

I bought a S 500 from another member on here 3 weekds ago and up until now it has been pure pleasure

Service needed message came on (last serviced less than 7k ago but also 2 yrs ago) so I booked it in with local dealer
Agnews Belfast

£380 later and minimal work including advice to change spark plugs at £300 plus and brake fluid change, air filter and fuel filter all at an eye watering total of £750 which evenually they agreed to reduce to £599 Whew!

Anyway less than 100 miles since the service up on the dash came the message Battery Charge take to workshop and a 100 yards further Coolant take to workshop (or words to that effect)

Fortunately I was close to home and the car immediately overheated.

On inspecting the engine bay I discovered the poly belt had split/broke (how flimsy this thing apperars compared to a normal fan belt.
Also I saw a pulley and wheel in the engine bay (from whatever pump or other that is on the lower right looking from the front of the car)

Breakdown service called (complimentary following service)

I have voice my disquiet and frustation with Agnews and wait with bated breath (and anguish) for the outcome.

Any ideas as to cause and consequences please?

Apologies for all the detail and rant involved

Thanks in anticipation

Stoker

Could you upload a photo?

A lot of work on the front of these Mercs engines is actually pretty easy & easily DIY'able.

A/C compressor would be a bummer though. Hopefully it's just a belt tensioner or idler pulley.

Every once in a while I take the belt off and feel if any pulleys are iffy to avoid this sort of thing. Very easy to do.

A lot of work on the front of these Mercs engines is actually pretty easy & easily DIY'able.

A/C compressor would be a bummer though. Hopefully it's just a belt tensioner or idler pulley.

Every once in a while I take the belt off and feel if any pulleys are iffy to avoid this sort of thing. Very easy to do.

Cheers for that

The car is back with Mercedes
I'm waiting for an update

stoker

Cheers horatio

Got word from Agnews MB yesterday

£200 to replace belt and pulleys, happy days or so I thought

further update this morning

AC compressor etc needs replaced

They claim to have cut labour and parts cost approx £1200 all in

Oh dear

Stoker

I have empathy for you.. these were expensive cars when new.. I have spent in excess of £2000 since buying mine in June this year and having covered just 400 miles.. hopefully all good for another 100,000 miles! Just routine servicing please.

I have empathy for you.. these were expensive cars when new.. I have spent in excess of £2000 since buying mine in June this year and having covered just 400 miles.. hopefully all good for another 100,000 miles! Just routine servicing please.
Cheers

I really hope this is the case

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom