V power nitro +, how good is this stuff

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It just is.

Based on my experience, I believe that fuel additives do a very good job of keeping intake systems clean.

In my DIY days I removed many a cylinder head, and deposits on carburetors and injectors were inevitable, as were hard black deposits on exhaust valves.

On my V6 Vuaxhall Omega I used regular fuel and added Redex to every tankful for its first 40k miles. When I removed the injectors rail at 40k, they were all clean shiny metal as they were on the day they left Elsemere Port... and through the plug holes I could see the valves reasonably clean for the mileage. This is something I have not seen on a 40k miles engine before.

I appreciate that this is anecdotal evidence from a single engine, and not a Randomised Sample with a Control Group, hence not sceintifically valid, but to the extent that anyone can be convinced without joining the Academy, this is proof enough for me that Redex works.

By extention I would expect that other fuel additives, and 'Premium Fuels' that have detergents added to them, will have similar effect to Redex. Hence why I use V-Power. However, until I remove the cylinder head on my M271, I won't know for sure.

So on balance, I am reasonably satisfied that Premium Fuels will keep my engine clean.

And, I worked-out that for my annual mileage, the additional cost of running the car exclusively on Premium Fuels is £100-£150 per annum, which, again on balance, is worth it for me.

Whether the engine actually runs smoother or the car goes faster on V-Power I would not know, because I have never used anything else on the Merc and therefore can't compare.

Last edited:
Ello Ello, right as above this fancy v power nitro +, how good is it and are any if you guys in here using it and experiencing the difference, be nice to know maybe I'm missing out lol

You don't need additives, they're already in V Power.

For me there was a noticeable difference when I started using it.

Bottom line is use a couple of tankfuls and see for yourself if there is a perceptible difference. Don't worry about being able to scientifically measure a difference, that's probably impossible in the short term. Trust your senses.

Whether the engine actually runs smoother or the car goes faster on V-Power I would not know, because I have never used anything else on the Merc and therefore can't compare.

This seems to be the pattern?

I note F1BHP's 'judgement' on how good fuel is comes down to one factor: price. (Which isn't even qualified that it should be a premium fuel at all - so I guess he's also quite happy to believe that buying RON95 at an expensive rural station is better than RON99 in a cheaper area.

I think threads on premium fuels should be banned - there's too much of a religious aspect to the belief in them. Many of those using this stuff are buying into the product rather than just buying it.

Don't worry about being able to scientifically measure a difference, that's probably impossible in the short term. Trust your senses.

Unbelievable.

Seriously. Is that all that people need to know?

Unbelievable. :fail

Unbelievable.

Seriously. Is that all that people need to know?

Unbelievable. :fail

No, it's all I need to know. Other people must make up their own mind.

Nota bene - I am saying that I rely on my perceptions and senses, not science.

I realise that you can't cope with this topic and that it causes you a lot of stress, not least because you yourself lack credibility, but looking at what you have said, you have actually said nothing meaningful, only challenged what others, including Shell, have said.

You pass yourself off as being the scientist, so go ahead, convince us using your superior scientific knowledge that you really can 'debunk' the myth of V Power. Evidence!

DID this test years ago with V Power diesel.

We had 4 vans brand new on contract hire.

Two used v power the other two supermarket diesel.

The vans had mixed drivers so no one tied to any particular registration, none of them could say there was any difference in performance or cost as both the monthly fuel bills were the same.

After 6 months of keeping to the fueling regime, we sent a 3.5mm flexi camera into the engine inlet manifolds turbos and cylinder heads checking the valves pistons and bore tops, also removed the dpf's for cleaning.

Result

No difference between any of them after @ 15,000 miles they all looked the same and the dpf's contained equal amounts of crap.

We moved to a local supplier of bio-diesel and stayed with him for 2 years :)

Last edited:
No, it's all I need to know. Other people must make up their own mind.

Nota bene - I am saying that I rely on my perceptions and senses, not science.

I realise that you can't cope with this topic and that it causes you a lot of stress, not least because you yourself lack credibility, but looking at what you have said, you have actually said nothing meaningful, only challenged what others, including Shell, have said.

You pass yourself off as being the scientist, so go ahead, convince us using your superior scientific knowledge that you really can 'debunk' the myth of V Power. Evidence!

This is definitely a new religion.

And you're using the same defence as well - which is to pronounce your faith - then say its up to others to disprove your case.

And the pattern is basically the same in the majority of the posts - essentially 'I believe' with no substance.

Well you're welcome to your faith.

But if you offer up 'advice' based on that faith and nothing more then expect me to question it and point out the fallacy of your position based on the lack of tangible evidence - and in fact even on the lack of tangible claims.

This is definitely a new religion.

And you're using the same defence as well - which is to pronounce your faith - then say its up to others to disprove your case.

And the pattern is basically the same in the majority of the posts - essentially 'I believe' with no substance.

Well you're welcome to your faith.

But if you offer up 'advice' based on that faith and nothing more then expect me to question itand point out the fallacy of your position based on the lack of tangible evidence - and in fact even on the lack of tangible claims.

But that's exactly what you're offering too. I'm not offering up advice, I am relating my personal experience and inviting the OP to do likewise, and freely acknowledge that in my case it's senses and perceptions. What's different about your position?

If you want to do some debunking you're going to have to do better.

Last edited:
I've actually found Asda & sainsburys diesel has given me better mpg than nitro having used nitro for a good while! Maybe it's cos I've only got 2.1 4 cylinder diesel..

But that's exactly what you're doing too. I'm not offering up advice, I am relating my personal experience and inviting the OP to do likewise, and freely acknowledge that in my case it's senses and perceptions. What's different about your position?

The difference is before I accept somebody is guilty I want them tried properly.

If you want to do some debunking you're going to have to do better.

And the faith position is essentially guilty before innocent.

I don't have to prove anything. Its for the manufacturers and the apparent faithful to prove something. Not placebos, not fuzzy claims, not buyer affirmation, but tangibly put forward some hard evidence.

The problem with premium fuels is that even the manufacturers back off making tangible claims.

The faithful buy into the intangible claims and repeat them. And repeat them and repeat them until the myth becomes accepted.

The only hard and fast quality difference is the RON number. And it looks like a large number of the faithful don't really understand that to start with - and things atually are fuzzier when it comes down to whether an engine will benefit (and if so by how much).

And even on that issue it would not be hard for the manufacturers of the fuel to confirm with the car makers a list of cars that actually would benefit from the higher RON number. They don't even do that.

I've actually found Asda & sainsburys diesel has given me better mpg than nitro having used nitro for a good while! Maybe it's cos I've only got 2.1 4 cylinder diesel..

The situation with premium fuels is different for diesel vs petrol.

Premium petrol typically has a higher RON number. So some claims can be made regarding performance. Though most of the blurb is about cleaning as a differentiator.

Premium diesel OTOH doesn't get to have a RON to distinguish it - so it's all about cleaning as a differentiator.

You may also find there are seasonal differences that further confuse the difference in diesel. Though the industry stays very quiet on the seasonal changes to the diesel product.

The only hard and fast quality difference is the RON number. And it looks like a large number of the faithful don't really understand that to start with - and things atually are fuzzier when it comes down to whether an engine will benefit (and if so by how much).

At least when a doctor discusses diet he does so understanding the digestive and metabolic systems.
Few enough understand combustion to enter into any scientific discussion on fuel quality.
In reality these threads are male versions of a Mumsnet argument as to which dishwasher tablet is best...

Some posts I read as: Supermarket champagne brands are better than Moet because I get drunk faster.:wallbash:
Do you guys really believe that top brands are at the top just because of some stupid marketing slogans? Come on, get serious.
Maybe you will get better MPG at some point but fuels can't be compared on this basis only. Especially with MPG, there are so many parameters involved that you can't get same circumstances unless you are alone at some race track.
After all if all products are the same and cheapest ones are the best why don't we all drive Dacia? It will also take us from point A to point B.
But no, we all appreciate luxury, smooth ride, low dB in cabin, good braking and instant acceleration. We accept that MB invest millions in development of each model but at the same time don't believe that other companies in some other businesses do the same and much more.

At least when a doctor discusses diet he does so understanding the digestive and metabolic systems.
Few enough understand combustion to enter into any scientific discussion on fuel quality.
In reality these threads are male versions of a Mumsnet argument as to which dishwasher tablet is best...

A reasonable analogy.

And how do mums choose which dishwasher tablet they are going to buy? Putting price aside, they'll probably try several brands and settle on the one that they think is best for them. Marketing blurb and science will quite possibly play little part in the process other than to bring the brand to their attention. Some will pay a bit more if they think the tablet is a better performer; for others price will be the major factor. Whether or not the chosen one is scientifically provable to be better than any other will remain unknown.

It's the same with many other choices in life.

The more money there is spent on marketing, the less there is left for creating a quality product.

The more money there is spent on marketing, the less there is left for creating a quality product.

This isn't a universal truth.

If you're the likes of MB then if marketing is potentially critical in achieving volumes that amortise your development - and so *successful* marketing gives you the level of business that allows you spend more on development and create a better product.

And if you're selling branded cold remedies and paracetomol then there is very little room for product development - so marketing is effectively your equivalent of product development - creating artificial USPs and brand strength.

Go on Dryce, get it all of your chest sweetheart. If you need someone to talk to, about anything in the world, I'm always here :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom