V12 coil pack import

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveskeggy

Car
S55 AMG
When I was trying to find a coil pack for my S600, Melk63 asked me to let you all know how I got on, and I guess any other V12 owners could be interested.
I had no luck in finding a pack in the UK, except for MB dealers, and then they were few and far between absolutely nothing locally, so I had a look around American suppliers.
I eventually came across these:
BMW Parts, VW Parts & European Auto Parts| Racing Pro Shop - Above All Motorwerks
Who did have them in stock, but I see now that they are out, so I probably had the last one.
They had two choices of shipping, I went for the fastest at 113 dollars, the other was something around 84, so I figured that 20 dollars was a small price to pay for faster delivery.
The unit was 1170 dollars and the handling was 2.50 dollars.
After conversion that all came out as 818.58 pounds.
It was ordered on 19th July, dispatched on 20th and arrived on 28th, which I thought was quite good.
Then there was the import duty, customs duty, and clearance fee which all came to 194.79 pounds.
So the total cost to me was 1013.37
So, the question is, how does getting one from the US stack up against going to a UK dealer, was it worth it?
Probably not.
But, then again, it could be.
Dont bother posting that you could get one for a lot less because you can get discount, thats not the point of the exercise (and if you could, then why didnt you let me know when I asked?).
The point is, what if you dont know the storeman at your nearest MB dealer, mine is 26 miles away and I dont know him from Adam, so you would have to pay full price.
I dont know exactly how much a coil pack would be from a MB dealer at full price, but I think it works out about the same if not a bit more, but not much more.
So the only advise I could give on the subect would be, if you can get one here then get it, but if you cant then go stateside.
Oh, by the way, it cured my misfire!!:bannana:

Yes, and if that was there when I was looking for one, I would have had it.
But its a bit pointless to post that now, I did actually say that if all else failed in the UK, and not to bother posting saying that you could get one for less.
The object of this post is to inform those who are in the position of needing a coil pack, now or in the future.

They had two choices of shipping, I went for the fastest at 113 dollars, the other was something around 84, so I figured that 20 dollars was a small price to pay for faster delivery.
The unit was 1170 dollars and the handling was 2.50 dollars.
After conversion that all came out as 818.58 pounds.
It was ordered on 19th July, dispatched on 20th and arrived on 28th, which I thought was quite good.
Then there was the import duty, customs duty, and clearance fee which all came to 194.79 pounds.
So the total cost to me was 1013.37
So, the question is, how does getting one from the US stack up against going to a UK dealer, was it worth it?
Wasn't Clarksons £870 + vat, so £1022..umm, next day.

Yes, and if that was there when I was looking for one, I would have had it.
But its a bit pointless to post that now, I did actually say that if all else failed in the UK, and not to bother posting saying that you could get one for less.
The object of this post is to inform those who are in the position of needing a coil pack, now or in the future.

You're a prickly SOB, aren't you!

I did inform those who are in the position of needing a coil pack, now or in the future. I'm strongly suggesting they look on ebay & at UK based breakers before scouring the rest of the world.

You're a prickly SOB, aren't you!

I did inform those who are in the position of needing a coil pack, now or in the future. I'm strongly suggesting they look on ebay & at UK based breakers before scouring the rest of the world.

SOB? Charming I`m sure.
Which part of If all else fails in the UK didnt I make clear?
And how is that going to help someone looking for a pack in six months time?

In anyone needs parts from the US, let me know. I have a wholesaler account here and as long as I can fit in a flat rate box, shipping will be reasonable.

Thanks, its always good to have plenty of options available.

In anyone needs parts from the US, let me know. I have a wholesaler account here and as long as I can fit in a flat rate box, shipping will be reasonable.

Thanks Steve for the update. Much appreciated.

The eBay item is the old part number and I think the US part was one of the revised design ones with a different part number. I read somewhere (or heard from MB parts dept) the old parts were prone to failing due to heat. I may be wrong.
Mel.

Yes spot on mate.
The old P/N`s were :
A275 150 04 80 For the R/H side (Offside in UK) and A275 150 05 80 for the L/H.
The new P/N`s are:
A275 150 06 80 for the right and A275 150 07 80 for the left.

My replacement had the new part number, the other side still is the original with the old number so be assured that the new ones and the old ones work together fine.

I did come across the same sort of coil pack with the part number A275100580, which BBA advertise that they remanufacture, this is for an SL600 Turbo, and I dont think that it would be safe to assume that one of these would do the job on any model that uses the same as the S600 W220.
BTW When I rang BBA they didnt want to know about remanufacturing mine, and it sounded like they didnt do the turbo one anymore, even though they still advertise it.

Thanks Steve for the update. Much appreciated.

The eBay item is the old part number and I think the US part was one of the revised design ones with a different part number. I read somewhere (or heard from MB parts dept) the old parts were prone to failing due to heat. I may be wrong.
Mel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom