V12 Coil Packs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

helgi33

Car
500 SEC & CL600
I suspect I have faulty Coil Pack on my CL600. am getting the codes P0300 P0310 P0311 and P312. I have been going throught the forum for advice on best prices and possible repairs and havent really got anywhere..

I have found in USA new packs for decent price but would prefer to buy them in UK and then of course would be best if they could be reapired.. all info is apreciated...

I think BBA Reman can repair them.

If you want some new ones I can source you some.

Just email me the reg and I will get a price for you. [email protected]

Will email you.
I checked BBA Man website and they have the coil there but with an error in the partnumber.. listed as A275100580 Q1 with the digit 5 missing after A2751 .. see Select Country

I called them and they say they dont do the coilpacks anymore...

I did of a gamble here.. I have noticed on various forums that some people had this misfiring P0300 and then few cylinders on either side.. like P0310 P0311 and P0312 and then after changing the coil packs .. then it didnt fix the problem but it turned out to be the Voltage transformer 0001500258.

So I gambled on the Voltage Transformer.. have now installed it and the car changed a lot but it didnt fully cure the problem.. I can push the car much more now before the engine light comes on and now only get the P0300 and P0311 codes.. no more P0310 and P0312..

This makes me wonder if some of the time there is a dual failure.. ? coil pack gets damaged due to faulty Voltage Transformer or opposite.. so when people have the dual failure .. and replace either coils or transformer .. then it looks like troubleshooting gone wrong and they replaced the wrong part, when in fact both parts had gone wrong...

Well just a conspiracy theory at the moment. Will now buy the coils and install and then if everything is fine, will then install the older Voltage transformer and see if everything is working normally with that one installed..

I havent really found anybody yet who can repair those.. all leads have so far ended in a blind ally... so will go for new.

The best price so far in UK is about Gbp 1035 each with 2 year warranty but found them at Autozone in USA new both for Usd 1135 (Gbp 695) without shipping, customs duty and VAT and have limited Life Long warranty (need to check the fine print on what that actually means )

The only complication there is that they have to be bought online to get this price and have to be paid by a credit card with US Address and be shipped to US address. I have found a friend who will assist and am expecting to get both coils over to UK for less than Gbp 1000..

When I had this I swapped around the HT leads and found the error followed the leads.

Why would you risk buying from states for £35 less?

What if there are issues, you have to send all the way to USA?

The V12 engine doesnt have HT leads. It has 2 coil packs where each serves 6 cylinders at two plugs per cylinder. So each coil pack is assembly with 12 individual coils which attach directly to the sparkplugs.

see attched photo of V12 Coil pack

Attachments

• V12 Coil Pack.jpg
    V12 Coil Pack.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 23
According to another forum the problem of premature coil pack failure is allegedlly attributed to the cylinder shutdown feature placing more stress on the coils due to inconsistent spark plug wear. This can be de-activated via star. More prevalent on pre 2003 cars. Others point at the high under bonnet temperatures.
AutoSpeed - Cylinder Deactivation Reborn - Part 2

here's a poor quality video
[YOUTUBE]ijuC3Qgwt08[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Why would you risk buying from states for £35 less?

What if there are issues, you have to send all the way to USA?

Hi Jaymanek
The Gbp 1000 for the coils from Autozone USA would be for both coils or about Gbp for Each. The best price in UK is Gbp 1035 for each so the US coils are Half price arrived here in Uk with all custums duties freight and VAT

According to another forum the problem of premature coil pack failure is allegedlly attributed to the cylinder shutdown feature placing more stress on the coils due to inconsistent spark plug wear. This can be de-activated via star. More prevalent on pre 2003 cars. Others point at the high under bonnet temperatures.
AutoSpeed - Cylinder Deactivation Reborn - Part 2

here's a poor quality video
[YOUTUBE]ijuC3Qgwt08[/YOUTUBE]

The 2003 and newer have the Bi Turbo installation and do not have the cylinder shutdown feature. min is 2004 and is Bi Turbo. I have also seen this subject that coil pack failure was much more frequent in pre 2003 cars due to the shutdown feature...

I have also seen that many with coil pack failure have traced it to oil leak from the valve cover to a sparkplug seat causing shortage of the spark, apparantly water can do the same so care has to be taken if engine is jetwashed, to dry spark plug areas with compressed air afterwards. One more failure seems to be the soldering from the individual coils to the eletronic board in the housing seems to crack and seperate..

latest update.. have bought the coils in USA from Autozone.com . It was bit of a jungle to get to the final price.. advertised price then 20% discount through promocode, then the state tax then shipping and then minus shipping as order was over usd 100 and then strange minor discount.. and then had to get my money to my friend doing the online purchase at 4% through paypal..

So in short both coils ended up being Usd 1355 at my freight forwarder in NY or at Gbp 836 or Gbp 418 each. Now I will have freight cost to UK and Vat when it arrives..
so they will go somwhat over Gbp 500 each.. probably wont exceed Gbp 550 each

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom