V220 component location/troubleshooting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3narf

Hi all- my wife had problems with our V220 today; it cut out and refused to start, leaving her & the kids stranded. It will start, and run, intermittently.

I'm 4000 miles away, at the moment, but I want to get some information so I can get stuck in when I return on Monday. It's going to be a total pain getting it to a garage, so I want to sort it myself if possible.

I assume it's a fuel delivery problem, possibly fuel pump, so could someone please tell me the location of this, plus any other bits, electrical connectors etc I should check first? Or alternatively, are there any useful websites which could offer relevant information?

Many thanks in anticipation, Andy

Oh well, about as much interest in the V class here, as the Merc owners forum...

Welcome to the forum.

There are relatively few V classes around, probably not many members here have experience of it. Your thread title may also have stopped people (like me) who didn't know much about the V class from reading it.

Can you perhaps clarify the problem. You said it wouldn't start, then in the next sentence "It will start, and run, intermittently". When it does start, does it run normally? Does it then just cut out suddenly, or misfire etc.? How long does it run for before this happens? How long before it will restart again?

etc.

Maybe you'll get some suggestions then.

Whats a V 220??

The V class was the "people carrier" version of the old shape Vito van (the Viano is the equivalent for the current model Vito). I think the 220 was the diesel version (there was also a 2 litre? petrol 4 cyl, and a 2.8 V6 petrol - 'borrowed' from VW).

Try pulling out an injector and starting it up to make sure fuel is reaching the engine. Make sure the engine is cold when you try that. also you can try pulling out one plug with a plug spanner to see if sparks are coming from the distributor. do not touch the plug please as it is high voltage.This is for the petrol though as diesel only have glows and not sparkers .
Is yours a diesel

Try pulling out an injector and starting it up to make sure fuel is reaching the engine. Make sure the engine is cold when you try that. also you can try pulling out one plug with a plug spanner to see if sparks are coming from the distributor. do not touch the plug please as it is high voltage.This is for the petrol though as diesel only have glows and not sparkers .
Is yours a diesel

Though please don't do the two things at the same time ......

Ok the V220 is a CDi diesel.

There was also a V200 diesel, and V230 and V280 petrol.

The 220 is a CDi and as such all 220CDi problems should be investigated.

Only one thing will stop a diesel, lack of fuel delivery. With this in mind check for air leaks at the pipe unions but having said that my money goes on this being the crankshaft position sensor. Not very common on diesels as they don't get so hot but can still go duff and will stop the engine without any codes.

Can I start by saying that I know how these forums work, and sometimes you have to get a bit impatient to spur people into action.

So: thanks to those who replied!

The problem is, I work away from home, and my wife needs the car to ferry the kids about. When I get home from Dallas on Monday, jetlagged and worn out, I have a day to try & get a grip on things before I disappear down to Heathrow again. So I want to arrive exhausted but at least armed with some rudimentary information, regarding where to find the various components, etc.

I had come to the conclusion that it's fuel related, as it's a diesel. I partially blocked fuel filter would probably show up with a drop in performance, and as it happened suddenly, and runs intermittently, I'm thinking that it could be injector or pump related.

If I haven't given much info, it's because I don't have much! You can't beat being their when the breakdown occurred, but as I wasn't, I'm having to put the clues together as best I can...

Once again, thanks. I'll pass on what I find out as and when.

Can I start by saying that I know how these forums work, and sometimes you have to get a bit impatient to spur people into action.

Like you many people are away working and get to their PC when they can, please don't insult board members for not replying to your posts, because you believe you are somehow more important.

Perhaps you mistook this forum for a BMW one??:rolleyes:

Makes mental note. Don't reply to 3narf's requests again.

Still: good luck with the fault.

Hi 3narf,
I have no idea how other forums work, but I do know that this is an extremely friendly site where we ALWAYS try to help each other out. Unfortunately your PR skills are perhaps jet lagged ;) :eek: :eek:

The problem your wife is experiencing will be common to any other 220CDI and you might want to consider a more generalised request simply because the V220 is not a popular model. Having said that we once owned a very nice V220CDI Ambiante automatic. My wife still thinks it was the best vehicle we ever owned.

Dieselman is an extremely knowledgeable member and I would check out his suggestion first.

Good luck resolving the problem and welcome to a great forum.

Regards,
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom