v230 fashion cooling fan and temp gauge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trenchman

Car
v230
hi first post and first mercedes!!

i have a v230 fashion and have a couple of problems, only just bought it so a bit gutted.:doh:
1. the cooling fan doesn't kick in when engine gets hot
2. the coolant temp gauge fluctuates badly, jumps from 0-90 constantly so unsure of temperature.
3. a whining noise from engine. when its out of gear and in gear. just sounds a bit too whiny?

the previous owner put a switch in to turn the cooling fan on/off which makes me abit suspicious.

i have notice there is a small pipe connected to radiator that the temp sensor&fan operating sender is on, but this doesnt get very hot, is there a reason for this?

bit baffled, im pretty good with my hands and am a mechanical technician but just not got the knowledge/experience on these engines

im thinking maybe water pump isnt circulating properly?

any help or advice will be greatly recieved

cheers all

trenchman

I would say you need to look into the possibility that the water pump and/or head gasket are kaput. The whining noise may point more towards the former than the latter.

Did you buy it knowing of the noise it was making?

v230

yeah but its had a new water pump recently. had it all in bits found that the temperature gauge was just a loose connection so thats sorted now. on the radiator there is two thermo switchs, one cuts the fan in 95-105 degrees and the other cuts the fan in 105-115 degrees.

these both were knackered, the first one was open circuit so the fan wouldnt go off (hence switch wired in by previous owner)

the second had just given up all together.

phoned mercedes and they wanted £125 for the lower temp switch!!!:eek: i wasnt going to pay that.

my local auto parts place got them both for £25 so was happy with that.:bannana:

just got to put it all back together now.

was thinking off replacing the pollen filter next but understand its a fiddly job, any tips/advice/pictures will be brilliant?:dk:

cheers all :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom