V5.0 DVD for W211 COMAND - First Report

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

saorbust

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS350CDI
Yep - I picked it up today - about 30 minutes ago.

Many thanks to those who provided the part numbers etc - the guy at the depot told me they have a whole bunch to send out for back orders - so yours should be here soon for those that ordered them.

Okay, so its the V5.0 Nav Disc. I'll keep it short on features because I'm still exploring, however I can confirm this:

1; No Birds Eye View :mad:

2; TMC for the UK (both A roads and Motorway) :D

3; Toll Road :D

4; Dynamic Routing Capability :D

5; You don't have to be tuned in to Classic FM (Phew !! :rock: )

I used it from Birmingham (the parts depot) to my office in Coventry - and within 20 seconds of updating and starting, navigation system showed a multitude of traffic information. More could be found from the TMC hot key - with full details. The system has FAR more information than the old CD based version in my CLK, and its seriously fast too - in fact I can't tell the difference between the new and old version - despite the traffic information now being displayed.

Depending on your display options you can decide to show all TMC info or only that on route. I had my display set to the 10 mile scale, with auto zoom to 0.2 miles when new directions would be advised. (You don't need to be on a route to see the TMC info btw).

I noticed signs for road closed, tailback icons, and little red and yellow cars showing various traffic density volumes.

I'll try to take a picture tomorrow and post it - but suffice to say its here.

Cost: £209 - significantly less than I thought.
Part: B6 782 34 89 (thanks to those that provided this).

Clarky.

saorbust said:
Cost: £209 - significantly less than I thought.
Part: B6 782 34 89 (thanks to those that provided this).

Clarky.

Brilliant news... and way, way cheaper than I expected.

Thanks for the update.

Regards,
John

Great news....order will be going in shortly.

glad you finally got it, I take it you are really pleased, so worth the wait then. There are a large amount of backorders so patience to those that are still waiting is probably advised, although there seems to be large amounts of stocks so might not be the case.

3D view I believe is being considered and tested for the next version, so there is hope that it may appear soon. Shame really that it was not included in this release as they have it in the new S class amongst others.

The s class nav is even quicker in route calculation and rerouting but then again in terms of technology it does use a hard disc for nav and is a generation ahead. I would expect to see this filtering through to be included in the facelift for the E class.

Last edited:
thanks much for the details, Clarky,

Did the DVD incorporate a COMAND firmware update, too?

Hi Calum, No idea sorry !
VBD - yep thanks I think its great. Worked a treat this morning and yesterday on the way home. Again I will try for a picture to post tomorrow.

Re the price - slightly wrong sorry. Its 219 + VAT. About 259. Still v good considering the cost of the previous version.

Clarky.

Eh - I thought V4.1 had only just come out? Mine was upgraded from 4.0 for free by my dealer when the car went in for warranty work. How does that work then? I don't wish to shell out and then find that I am entitled to another free upgrade!

Fady said:
Eh - I thought V4.1 had only just come out? Mine was upgraded from 4.0 for free by my dealer when the car went in for warranty work. How does that work then? I don't wish to shell out and then find that I am entitled to another free upgrade!

I think you had a very understanding dealer. :) I purchased my vehicle in the February, an upgrade came out in March and I was simply told 'Tough', but not in such a blunt manner.

Buyers of the older straight six 320CDI will not be getting a free upgrade to the V6 is perhaps what my dealer was hinting at.

I do however appreciate the many free upgrade my vehicle, and everyone else's 211 has had, so I will no doubt be biting the bullet. I was expecting a retail price in the upper £300 price range.

It is frustrating that this version contains 'necessary' programming that will allow my COMAND to perform one of the designed functions that I wanted when purchasing the vehicle.

John

firmware upgrade too?

saorbust said:
Hi Calum, No idea sorry !
thanks Clarky.

Did it come with the same sort of firmware upgrade instructions as did v4.1? MY v4.1 came with a note saying:
===
0. Do not yet insert DVD
1. Switch on COMAND
2. Press NAV
3. Insert DVD

After a brief wait, software loading bars will appear. When loading bars disappear and basic Nav menu appears, first step of update is complete.

2nd step is to re-initialise COMAND:
1. Lock vehicle from outside.
2. Wait 2 minutes

Afterwards, COMAND is fully operational again.
===

glojo said:
I think you had a very understanding dealer.

I bought my car September 2004 and it was supplied with 4.0. It's just been in for a service and they replaced the 4.0 with a 4.1. When I queried it and said that I'd rather wait until 5.0 was available before they swapped it :D I was told that the recall only applied to 4.0 discs being swapped for 4.1 :( .

hunter said:
I bought my car September 2004 and it was supplied with 4.0. It's just been in for a service and they replaced the 4.0 with a 4.1. When I queried it and said that I'd rather wait until 5.0 was available before they swapped it :D I was told that the recall only applied to 4.0 discs being swapped for 4.1 :( .

Some folks have all the luck...

Well done.
John

rang greenoaks maidenhead, knew nothing, they kindly rang milton keynes they said febuary :crazy: ......mercedes oxford said same, till i got the partnumber from here, now ordered none in the uk, loads in germany so here is hoping for a delivery in the next few days........

kenny

calum said:
thanks Clarky.

Did it come with the same sort of firmware upgrade instructions as did v4.1? MY v4.1 came with a note saying:
===
0. Do not yet insert DVD
1. Switch on COMAND
2. Press NAV
3. Insert DVD

After a brief wait, software loading bars will appear. When loading bars disappear and basic Nav menu appears, first step of update is complete.

2nd step is to re-initialise COMAND:
1. Lock vehicle from outside.
2. Wait 2 minutes

Afterwards, COMAND is fully operational again.
===

Sorry - now I understand the question - yes is the answer !!

hash said:
rang greenoaks maidenhead, knew nothing, they kindly rang milton keynes they said febuary :crazy: ......mercedes oxford said same, till i got the partnumber from here, now ordered none in the uk, loads in germany so here is hoping for a delivery in the next few days........

kenny

Ring MB Parts in Birmingham - you won't have an issue. Most dealers unfortunately appear not to want to 'push the button' to dial the central point of info.

Clarky.

saorbust said:
Ring MB Parts in Birmingham - you won't have an issue. Most dealers unfortunately appear not to want to 'push the button' to dial the central point of info.

Clarky.
What is the number for MB Parts in Birmingham please?
There are a bunch of numbers for Mercedes in the directory and the first couple I tried were no good.

many thanks,
John...

saorbust said:
Thanks for the info.
I called and spoke to a very friendly lady who told me that they were out of stock but will have more in about a week. They can't take payment over the phone so I would have to go to Birmingham or I could just order it from my local dealer. So I called MB at Brentford who also said about a week but I would have to visit them and prepay before they would order it. It'll be good when MB come into the 21st century and have online ordering and payment for parts such as this.
Oh well, best head off to Brentford......

John...

MB at Dartford are adament V5 is not available. Even produced email from Germany, TMC not available till Jan. Please post pics so i can shove them up her nose! Spoke to me like i was village idiot and did,nt know difference between Beemer and Merc systems.

plgibson said:
Spoke to me like i was village idiot and did,nt know difference between Beemer and Merc systems.

You What!!!!! Village idiot you say????

There's only one village idiot on this forum and your certainly not going to take my title that easily :rolleyes:

The cheek of it :)

Certainly reassuring to know that the right hand is still keeping the left-hand informed on current events.

John the Village idjut

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom