v5 - Can I be scammed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidjpowell

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 w212 and Ford Ranger
I've had several emails today about the Esapce from what appeared to be a interested buyer. He said that he wanted to do a HPI check and asked me to email him a copy of the V5 and a photo of the VIN number.

I did this (although the V5 was plastered with COPY watermarks all over it), but was not sure at the time that i was doing the right thing.

I've heard nothing since, so am now really wondering. Could anyone do any harm with the info on the V5? Ebayer had decent feedback so perhaps I am worrying over nothing.

I would have certainly removed my personal details from the photocopy before providing it to some random person on the internet. (name and address etc)

For a full guaranteed HPI you do need the VIN, and I think even the Document Reference number. They had asked me enough questions to make me think they were genuine. And if they had said what is your address to come and view the car, they would have had that anyway....

I can't think though what good the information does really. But equally not sure if I'm going to regret this in the future...

For a full guaranteed HPI you do need the VIN, and I think even the Document Reference number.

I've asked these details off sellers in the past for that very reason. Never had a seller refuse so far.

I've asked these details off sellers in the past for that very reason. Never had a seller refuse so far.

Agreed me too. A basic HPI check only needs the registration number. However for a full HPI check (one which included an insurance type payout if their info turns out to be incorrect) you do need the VIN, Document reference numbers (checks for stolen V5 / MOT certificates) and I think engine number.

When I've done HPI's in the past you can do a basic check with the reg number and then supply the other information later (although prior to completing the purchase).

to get the guaranteed check you need the vin and V5 cert number but you would usually inform HPI of this whilst viewing the vehicle to verify the VIN plate against the V5. You certiainly don't need to give any personal details of the registered keeper.

You may very well have been scammed, i'm sorry to say, saw a programme on t.v. the other day that showed all you need to know to clone a car, these were V5 and VIN Number. A lot of V5's were stolen some tome ago and have since started to crop up with increasing regularity, people getting speeding tickets, and congestion charges from hundreds of miles away. Speak to the DVLA and tell them what happened, then speak to police about same. Better to be safe than sorry. On a lighter note, it could very well have been a buyer being very thorough, but personally, I would err on the side of caution.:thumb: As mentioned previously in this thread, each V5 has its own I.D. number, make the calls, I would.

Last edited:
you just want to hope that this person does not have a decent quality colour lazer printer as if he does then he will be to very easily make another v5 with even the most basic image editing software !!! i think you would have been better qiving specific infomation only and not a copy of the V5, if someone were to ask me for a copy of my V5 personally i would NOT have given it especially as you dont know this individual, and probably dont even know where he is from for deffinate and "oily rag" has made some very good points, call the DVLA and speak to the police ASAP !!!!

Last edited:
You have no duty or liability to keep this information secret, even if they have cloned your V5 (unlikely) there's nothing bad that can happen to you per se - worst case is you get a load of threatening letters that you can safely ignore, seeing how the onus is on them to demonstrate it was your vehicle and not vice versa.

The stolen V5 blanks are unlikely to be used to clone an old Espace - they're much more valuable in so many different ways.

Wouldn't worry about it too much.

You said the ebayer had a good feedback, does he or she have any items for sale? I think you should be alright this time but may just info and no copies of any docs next time.

Thanks for all the advice folks. Ebayer has no items for sale at present.

David

seeing how the onus is on them to demonstrate it was your vehicle and not vice versa.QUOTE]

Not my experience. When I reported a copy numberplate on my Vespa (bumped into a matching reg bike at the lights - what are the chances of that?), I then had to take the bike to the DVLA for an inspection to prove it was what I said it was, I was then visited by an insurance company when said clone bike was reported stolen a year or so later and had to the same again as they were convinced I was scamming them....:mad:

The DVLA did nothing throughout as they said that until a criminal act has been committed and reported, they are powerless..

Having said that, I wouldn't fret about sticking the info out there, if someone wants to clone your Espace, not a lot you can do about it.

Web chat forums have put the fear of god into people buying and selling privately. Provided you are not being asked to transfer money to Nigeria I wouldn't worry.

My experience of buying and selling privately has always gone fine. Has anyone on here been properly ripped off in a private sale?

Good luck with the sale.

Ade

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom