V5 not matching DVLA records

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lfckeeper

Car
Bmw 5 series (Former W203 C class and 2x W219 CLS owner)
Went to buy a new (to me) CLS this evening from a dealer.

When I went online to register the car into my name with the DVLA, it said the V5 doesn't match the records they have.

What he said is its in a traders hold (yellow slip filled out) and because he used the v5c/2 (new keeper supplement) to tax it the DVLA are awaiting a new keepers part.

This doesn't seem right to me and it appears the V5 is just the wrong one?

Do traders get issued a new V5?

lfckeeper said:
Do traders get issued a new V5?

If the yellow trade slip is used this will not issue a new v5 but will notify the dvla the trader is in possession of said vehicle.

If the yellow trade slip is used this will not issue a new v5 but will notify the dvla the trader is in possession of said vehicle.

Thanks for that.

Hes just told me his wife/office manager changed the keeper details on Friday (to whos name I dont know) and I dont know why, knowing the car was sold, they would do that.

A large part of me wants to run a mile from this. They've got my £500 deposit though :doh:

Thanks for that.

Hes just told me his wife/office manager changed the keeper details on Friday (to whos name I dont know) and I dont know why, knowing the car was sold, they would do that.

A large part of me wants to run a mile from this. They've got my £500 deposit though :doh:

If you otherwise like the car , perhaps leave it on hold , without paying any more , until this is resolved .

Did they tax the car for you , and perhaps register it to you to do this ?

If they have changed the registered keeper details that will surely add another keeper, which maybe you don't want.

Is it possible they had a previous buyer who pulled out after they had sent off the V5c in their name?

If you otherwise like the car , perhaps leave it on hold , without paying any more , until this is resolved .

Did they tax the car for you , and perhaps register it to you to do this ?

Because he said it was done online, if true, the correct V5 should be with them this week so ill certainly give him that amount of time (till Thursday)

If they have changed the registered keeper details that will surely add another keeper, which maybe you don't want.

Is it possible they had a previous buyer who pulled out after they had sent off the V5c in their name?

Im notsure how I feel about the extra owner, number of owners isn't a problem for me but will affect sell on value.

He seemed pretty keen to get me to fill out the V5 he had, I think this is playing on my mind, its like hes thought of every excuse he can as to why its the wrong V5 (oh it must be cause I taxed it on the V5C/2, then he claimed he didn't know change of keeper could be done online, then tells me his office manager/wife did it online on Friday).

I've always been a believer that whensomething doesn't feel right pull out of the deal, unfortunately hes got my £500 (so he could MOT and service it, why cars aren't serviced and MOT'd before sale I'll never know!)

Im notsure how I feel about the extra owner, number of owners isn't a problem for me but will affect sell on value.

He seemed pretty keen to get me to fill out the V5 he had, I think this is playing on my mind, its like hes thought of every excuse he can as to why its the wrong V5 (oh it must be cause I taxed it on the V5C/2, then he claimed he didn't know change of keeper could be done online, then tells me his office manager/wife did it online on Friday).

I've always been a believer that whensomething doesn't feel right pull out of the deal, unfortunately hes got my £500 (so he could MOT and service it, why cars aren't serviced and MOT'd before sale I'll never know!)

The MOT I can understand as it will run down if a car doesn't sell straight away .

The extra keeper is a PITA , but if a genuine error I think it can be undone , although not without a lot of hassle from DVLA . Otherwise , you'd have a good bargaining point for a free service / warranty or just money off to reflect the difference in value after , say , three years .

One would assume if the V5 doesn't show id be with in my rights to cancel the sale and ask for my deposit to be reimbursed? Cant find anything on Google thats similar to this situation

One would assume if the V5 doesn't show id be with in my rights to cancel the sale and ask for my deposit to be reimbursed? Cant find anything on Google thats similar to this situation

Thought you already have a CLS?

Or is this a newer one?

I'd just wait it out and see what he says by the end of the week

All sorted... evidently he and his office manager don't communicate very well!

I've just spoken to the DVLA , the car was registered into MY name on Friday ... so alls good I pick her up tonight !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom