V6 CDI/7G hesitation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Would you recommend I get the box reset and have the software updated? Is this likely to make changes smoother and less prone to holding onto gears up to 3500rpm when I am not putting my foot flat to the floor?
I am finding my gear changes to be really erratic just lately and a car like this just shouldn't behave this badly

Resetting parameters and making sure you have the latest software will hopefully help.
As you know the box stores info about your driving style and then adapts itself accordingly.
When you start afresh; you can also teach your box when you like to change up by moving the gear selector right at your preferred rpm/speed.
I have also found leaving the car idling for 3-4 minutes in 'p' seems to settle it a bit.
There is another accelerator reset you can try. Respected indies say this is just a placebo effect and does nothing. Others (myself included) feel it works.
I suppose you have nothing to loose...

1. When the car is warmed up, switch off the engine.
2. Turn the key/ ignition to position 2 (this is the position to just before the car would start).
3. Push the accelerator down all the way down past the kick down and hold it there. Count slowly to 5...
4. Switch off ignition completely. Count slowly to 5 again.
5. Now release the accelerator.
6. Wait 3 minutes. You may hear a whirring noise at the end of this period.

Now have a drive and see if the car feels different... :)

A good Indie (I swear by Olly in horndean) will soon plough through and hopefully sort out your box.
See olly's post here about changing ATF fluid... and you'll realise it's not a simple case of 'out with the old and in with the new'.

These are complicated cars and need some TLC... I found changing my air filters, and engine oil and filter made the car much smoother and the gear changes much more refined!

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. i will give it a try.

Unfortunately i bought the car from Car Giant and it looks like towards the end of its lease things were missed when the vehicle was serviced, such as ATF/filters etc. I am now in the process of catching up and it is costing me money!!

Would you recommend I get the box reset and have the software updated? Is this likely to make changes smoother and less prone to holding onto gears up to 3500rpm when I am not putting my foot flat to the floor?
I am finding my gear changes to be really erratic just lately and a car like this just shouldn't behave this badly

You need to have the latest software imo, it will make things better and should only be an hours labour at the local stealers.

You need to have the latest software imo, it will make things better and should only be an hours labour at the local stealers.

Can it only be done at local stealers or can i take it to my indie who has a star machine?

I don't even know what version of software the box is on???

I was dreading that you'd say that!!

Resetting parameters and making sure you have the latest software will hopefully help.
As you know the box stores info about your driving style and then adapts itself accordingly.
When you start afresh; you can also teach your box when you like to change up by moving the gear selector right at your preferred rpm/speed.
I have also found leaving the car idling for 3-4 minutes in 'p' seems to settle it a bit.
There is another accelerator reset you can try. Respected indies say this is just a placebo effect and does nothing. Others (myself included) feel it works.
I suppose you have nothing to loose...

1. When the car is warmed up, switch off the engine.
2. Turn the key/ ignition to position 2 (this is the position to just before the car would start).
3. Push the accelerator down all the way down past the kick down and hold it there. Count slowly to 5...
4. Switch off ignition completely. Count slowly to 5 again.
5. Now release the accelerator.
6. Wait 3 minutes. You may hear a whirring noise at the end of this period.

Now have a drive and see if the car feels different... :)

A good Indie (I swear by Olly in horndean) will soon plough through and hopefully sort out your box.
See olly's post here about changing ATF fluid... and you'll realise it's not a simple case of 'out with the old and in with the new'.

These are complicated cars and need some TLC... I found changing my air filters, and engine oil and filter made the car much smoother and the gear changes much more refined!

I tried your instructions twice but i have to say it doesn't feel any better. Still very jerky in the first few gears and the same on the way down. Acceleration seems sluggish compared to the amount of rpm being generated.

Looks like further investigation is required.

But thanks for the advice, you were right there was nothing to lose by trying.:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom