V6 Diesel inlet port shut-off motor FIRE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackC55

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
E55K SL500 E250X2 Smart44 Brabus Track car E450Cabriolet X350 Pick up
05a0e61a.jpg

On a V6 diesel the inlet port motor caught fire.

The white stuff is foam from the extinguisher.

Very scary stuff as the flames were huge!!

Cheers for that Olly!

You've just had me rushing out to my Car, sandwich in one hand, torch in tother! :eek:

Did this happen when you were working on the car or when it was on the move. Very scary I imagine. Not common either? Any reasons to why and the potential costs to fix

Yikes! Scarey stuff! How old is the car in question? I'm assuming it was oil that burnt rather than anything else?

Yikes! Scarey stuff! How old is the car in question? I'm assuming it was oil that burnt rather than anything else?

Probably. I know of a W211 320 cdi that was gutted while entering the dealers premises, due to an oil leak.

Question. If the car burnt to a crisp due to a mechanical fault, would your insurance company cover it under fire or would they weasal out and say because the fire wasn't vandalism, or burnt due to a house fire but rather a defect with the car, that its not their liability?

It's just fire, so covered unless deliberate arson by the insured.

Question. If the car burnt to a crisp due to a mechanical fault, would your insurance company cover it under fire or would they weasal out and say because the fire wasn't vandalism, or burnt due to a house fire but rather a defect with the car, that its not their liability?

You getting ideas?

Mesh bonnet - Merc barbecue.

Just add meat ...

how would one secure the mesh on? its hard to screw into rust.... now if it was a Kia or a Hyundai, there would be no rust, so no problem.

It did it on the guys driveway. It was in a Chrysler 300C with the MB V6 fitted.

This looks like the 300c swirl motor that caught fire after the swirl motor was cleaned off with brake cleaner..which is flammable... then started.

This looks like the 300c swirl motor that caught fire after the swirl motor was cleaned off with brake cleaner..which is flammable... then started.

It was not even in my workshop. It just did it when he started it up at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom