V6 Diesel software update recall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Find a dealer you can trust (Mercland aren't too far from you ;) ), or have the one who will be doing the airbag confirm in writing that that is the only thing they will do? You might then have some comeback.

Hi,

I know this is an older post, but I've literally just been informed of this software update.

Basically, several weeks ago now, I got the Airbag recall letter for my 2012 C350cdi Sport. I called the local MB Dealer (not the one I used to use, I'm not down that way any more) and was told there was some additional software update I was due as well, but they did not have the details of it to hand. As my car is booked in for tomorrow, I just got the online Check In email sent to me, so I checked in, as it said it will have the complete schedule of work.

Now, I'd previously said to the dealer that under no circumstances did I want an anonymous update performed on my car, where they cannot tell me what it does. Period. They mentioned it would be discussed when I got there. However, the schedule of works I got when checking in clearly shows it's software update SMPC756 they're talking about. So, now I know what they're planning and will clearly refuse the update.

However, I do wonder where I stand if MB ignore my request? If they wreck my fuel economy / performance I'll be very unhappy. My car is running very well indeed, will happily get 50+ mpg on a long run, flies through the MoT with the testers remarking how clean it runs. The car doesn't get used much, perhaps once or twice a week, but does do a reasonable distance when it is used. I really don't want to rock the boat when it's running, and has been running well for the past almost ten years of ownership.
Does it use ad blu ?

Thanks. I'm all for the airbag replacement of course, I just didn't trust the software update - even before I knew what it was.

I've now informed them twice (I called earlier) to say I don't want the software update. They said I need to tell my assigned tech on the day too. You'd think communicating it ONCE would be enough. I've not used a main dealer in a while, after some less that stellar experiences, so I certainly have trust issues, even though I've not used this particular dealer before. The "telling my tech on the day" thing is also quite funny, as I was supposed to post my keys and not see anyone until after the work was complete. Well, that's not happening.

All that said, the first person I spoke to - when I'd just got the recall notice for the airbag and was told about the "unknown" (at the time) software update - did indeed put a note in the schedule to say that "customer consent required" for the software update. So hopefully they will honour that.

Urgh, you know, I hate that I always anticipate problems...I hate it even more when I get proven right more often that I'd like.

Find/go back to a dealer you trust, or have the one who will be doing the airbag confirm in writing that that is the only thing they will do? You might then have some comeback.

I don't really trust any of the one's I've used up until this point - they've all made significant and costly (to me) mistakes. I do technically have in writing that customer consent is required, so I'll screenshot that. I will of course make it clear on the day too.
Does it use ad blu ?

No, it's a 2012 model, the last before Adblu was added.

I suppose it depends on the dealer. I had the air bag recall on my 2010 A207 350cdi recently. The dealer (Salisbury) didn’t mention anything about an engine ecu update when I made the appointment. Mentioned it casually at booking in and asked if there were any mods on the cars ecu. I didn’t answer that question but requested no ecu update. He wrote on the job sheet the same and that was that. No ecu update.

Thanks. I'm all for the airbag replacement of course, I just didn't trust the software update - even before I knew what it was.

I've now informed them twice (I called earlier) to say I don't want the software update. They said I need to tell my assigned tech on the day too. You'd think communicating it ONCE would be enough. I've not used a main dealer in a while, after some less that stellar experiences, so I certainly have trust issues, even though I've not used this particular dealer before. The "telling my tech on the day" thing is also quite funny, as I was supposed to post my keys and not see anyone until after the work was complete. Well, that's not happening.

All that said, the first person I spoke to - when I'd just got the recall notice for the airbag and was told about the "unknown" (at the time) software update - did indeed put a note in the schedule to say that "customer consent required" for the software update. So hopefully they will honour that.

Urgh, you know, I hate that I always anticipate problems...I hate it even more when I get proven right more often that I'd like.

I don't really trust any of the one's I've used up until this point - they've all made significant and costly (to me) mistakes. I do technically have in writing that customer consent is required, so I'll screenshot that. I will of course make it clear on the day too.

No, it's a 2012 model, the last before Adblu was added.
I’ve had the airbag done and just mentioned no ecu updates please. They only did the airbag. I think they know about customer complaints re the update and won’t do it if specified. Less work for them too.

I suppose it depends on the dealer. I had the air bag recall on my 2010 A207 350cdi recently. The dealer (Salisbury) didn’t mention anything about an engine ecu update when I made the appointment. Mentioned it casually at booking in and asked if there were any mods on the cars ecu. I didn’t answer that question but requested no ecu update. He wrote on the job sheet the same and that was that. No ecu update.

Nice. I hope things are as straight-forward with the dealer I'm visiting tomorrow.
I’ve had the airbag done and just mentioned no ecu updates please. They only did the airbag. I think they know about customer complaints re the update and won’t do it if specified. Less work for them too.

Cool, good to hear. I'm going to MB in Kidlington (Oxford) as they're the closest to me - well, that's what the dealer finder for the recall said - so hopefully they'll honour my request and just do the air bag. I hope they don't do the "here's a list of things your car needs" move as I'm a new (hopefully one-off) customer.

They've said it shouldn't take any more that about two hours, so I'm waiting for the car.

Hi,

Just thought I'd post a quick update. Airbag done today - just got back - I was waiting almost exactly two hours. The tech I spoke to seem very aware of the issues with the proposed software update, so I confirmed not to apply it and he was fine with that. Car was washed, didn't expect that, and on the drive home nothing appeared to be different. It was a very pottery, traffic-heavy drive though.

Bonus: It rained on my way back...forgot what rain was like lol.

You were lucky to be able to speak directly with the tech, at my local dealer it used to be nigh-on impossible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom