V6 Diesel software update recall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I suspect that, in the small print on the contract that you have to sign before they do the service work, it will likely say that you are indeed giving them carte blanche for them to do whatever they want to your car. Most people are not going to go through the entire contract. There’s no separate contract for the software update from what I can remember.

I’d be very interested in hearing from anybody who has successfully declined the work, while going ahead with a service?

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that response from MB.

So if 'Voluntary' does not really mean voluntary.

I then wonder what is their definition of 'relevant'

"We ensure that the software update has no relevant impact on the certified fuel consumption and Co2 emission values, nor on the engine output, torque, noise emission and service life of the vehicles"

So what is the point of the update if there is no 'relevant' impact. Surely there must be an impact of some kind? Hopefully not to do with clogging of EGR valve or inlet flaps, increased number of DPF regeneration cycles etc...

I am definately not against cleaner emissions, but not keen on compromising the function of a well running Euro 5 rated engine either.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that response from MB.

So if 'Voluntary' does not really mean voluntary.

I then wonder what is their definition of 'relevant'

"We ensure that the software update has no relevant impact on the certified fuel consumption and Co2 emission values, nor on the engine output, torque, noise emission and service life of the vehicles"

So what is the point of the update if there is no 'relevant' impact. Surely there must be an impact of some kind? Hopefully not to do with clogging of EGR valve or inlet flaps, increased number of DPF regeneration cycles etc...

I am definately not against cleaner emissions, but not keen on compromising the function of a well running Euro 5 rated engine either.

I'd wager that the key word there is 'certified' as in 'certified fuel consumption and Co2 emission values'. My reading is that the CO2 and fuel economy figures at certification will remain unaffected but real world values could (or will be). The certified values were never realistic (even without cheating) and can still be easily achieved. But not when you put your foot in it in the real world. Plausible?

Aimed at reducing NOx which can only mean even more EGR operation .

An engine should breathe clean , cold and filtered air only .

Introduce hot sooty exhaust gasses and there are consequences .

One positive to several negatives...
Is this update the same as
4985 - Update Powertrain Control Unit Software - 1809P54C74 ???

Didn't get the letter, but just popped down to dealership to get an 'Aux Battery Malfunction' and was told that there is a recall for my car with the above details.

Last edited:
Is this update the same as
4985 - Update Powertrain Control Unit Software - 1809P54C74 ???

Didn't get the letter, but just popped down to dealership to get an 'Aux Battery Malfunction' and was told that there is a recall for my car with the above details.
Don't think it's the same, I had mine updated earlier this year and was told it was just a transmission update regarding gear changes. Mine felt just the same after, possibly smoother to drive but could just be my imagination.

Don't think it's the same, I had mine updated earlier this year and was told it was just a transmission update regarding gear changes. Mine felt just the same after, possibly smoother to drive but could just be my imagination.
Brilliant, thank you for your quick response, very much appreciated as only back in London for 1 week this trip and trying to get several things sorted.

On my dad's 2010 265BHP car it as listed as above - 'Carried out campaign SMPC756. Diesel control unit update'. On my car, the service sheet didn't show anything about it, I just got the 'letter' from Daimler Benz on my passenger seat when I got in, which I took a photo of a few pages back.

I don't know if his car has decreased MPG as he never uses it.

Hmm, the problem with your argument is that it appears that the update ensures continued adherence to Euro 5 definitions.

Recall of certain Mercedes-Benz vehicles with emission standard Euro 6b (2018) | Daimler
Lots of links and some explanations- all to do with reducing NOx. One reason there is a "campaign" rather than a specific recall would appear to be that each engine/model needs slighty different ECU software mods to achieve the necessary reduction in NOx- its definitely not a "one size fits all" modification. As people know who have been following this topic its all to do with reducing combustion gas temperature which in turns reduces NOx in the exhaust. I have speculated its mainly the EGR that's involved but on some models that may not be enough-it might be necessary for example to reduce the overall engine running temperature by changing thermostat opening parameters. There's a heating element as a part of the thermostat assembly meaning its precise opening point can be electronically controlled/modified. If the engine is programmed to run cooler that's going to effect thermal efficiency /fuel consumption. Has anyone noticed their engine is running slightly cooler since being modified?

Got this email today. Interesting info for anybody who thinks this is a 'voluntary' measure:

I would like to take the opportunity to clarify the Service Measure that was carried out on your car. It is correct that it is described as a Voluntary Service Measure, however this refers to our voluntary cooperation with the German authorities in updating the software in the engine control unit of various diesel cars with the Euro 5 emissions.

As with all Service Measures released for our cars, this work will be completed when your car is next on site with a Mercedes-Benz Retailer. Whether this is servicing or repair work, all outstanding Service Measures must also be completed. It is therefore not possible to have your car serviced with a Mercedes-Benzes Retailer whilst also declining to have the described Service Measure completed.

Yours sincerely

Harry Owrid
Customer Service UK

Hmmm.
I would guess that this response, if indeed it is MB (Mercedes Benzes in their reply?) policy, is driven by the need to fulfill some sort of target. It is, of course, their prerogative to insist on something but I haven't come across it before. Likewise, it's the customer's prerogative to take their business elswehere. The joke is that for years customers of many 'brands' have complained that dealers don't always carry out work that they're supposed to do, yet charge for, ie filters etc. etc., yey now, we seem to have a situation whereby the dealer insists on doing something that the customer DOESN'T want.

If that really is their policy then they may well deter / lose a number of customers; maybe that's why they try so hard to sign up people for service plans.

now, we seem to have a situation whereby the dealer insists on doing something that the customer DOESN'T want.
I don't think the dealers can choose. The Indy I use has invested in equipment for MB's and will enable him to update the Electronic Service Book etc. He was telling me that when he connects a car to the system, he called it "pass through", it connects the car to Mercedes in Germany and they automatically carry out any updates they think it should have.

I received the letter about this from MB today, re my 2015 E350. Having read this and other threads I am quite sure that I don't want it done. The car has done 42K miles, does nearly 46mpg on a long motorway run (9g gearbox) and about 1000 mile sper litre of Adblue. The performance is fantastic for a great big tank of a car.
On the last MOT using the latest Euro 6 tester they could not detect any smoke at all from the exhaust.
I have just spoken to my local Indie,H&C Motors in Maidstone who are able to enter my service record on the MB system. They say that they will definitely not do a software update using their kit and that its a different system required to do that anyway.
I may set up MB dealerships as "blocked" zones on Command and will use the MB letter to light the logburner tonight

Had my letter today will post it for those interested

Attachments

• 7CCCBE03-106A-44A0-A723-1AC02EDA3A16.jpeg
    7CCCBE03-106A-44A0-A723-1AC02EDA3A16.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 3A15D3F4-8FF4-44B0-9F3F-B27A7CD4704F.jpeg
    3A15D3F4-8FF4-44B0-9F3F-B27A7CD4704F.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 37
I don't think the dealers can choose. The Indy I use has invested in equipment for MB's and will enable him to update the Electronic Service Book etc. He was telling me that when he connects a car to the system, he called it "pass through", it connects the car to Mercedes in Germany and they automatically carry out any updates they think it should have.

I got my letter today and I don't want it done, though it seems from the above quote the dealer doesn't have a choice once he plugs in to mb system, so, short of giving up service contract what to do?

I got my letter today and I don't want it done, though it seems from the above quote the dealer doesn't have a choice once he plugs in to mb system, so, short of giving up service contract what to do?
Go and get it remapped now, with one of the companies who say they will reinstate the remap for free in the event of Mercedes writing over it. I can't think of any other options?

Had MOT and service this week on my 63 plate CLS 350 CDI Shooting Brake. Software was also updated; COMAND, maps, and this ECU update were installed.
Thus far no issues. Car feels the same, performance is the same. I am monitoring fuel consumption and will report back when I have sufficient data to conclude something.

Go and get it remapped now, with one of the companies who say they will reinstate the remap for free in the event of Mercedes writing over it. I can't think of any other options?

I'm thinking of doing this. I'm still paying for a service plan currently, but before the next service, I want to take the car to MSL for a remap and cancel the service plan. The only reason that i haven't cancelled the service plan yet is on the 0.01% chance that anything happens to change the situation and a further software update that rectifies things somewhat.

However, in the case that MB do some kind of further software update to change the 7th gear issue or somehow improve economy, I'd probably want to go back to MB to get that update.

To reiterate, if you take the car to a tuning company, they will tune the CURRENT map on the car, they don't rewrite the entire map with their one. They basically just edit/change some figures around on the current map.

I've received the letter this morning. Not sure what to do. The current mpg on my GL aint great and i definitely don't want it to get worse. Anyone had the update done on a GL?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom