V6 Diesel software update recall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone dabbled with this claim / looked into it much? Adverts on telly saying diesel Mercs between 2007-2018 or so...

Thanks Robin. My car (350cdi CLS Shooting brake) had the update and I have never seen better than 38mpg even on a long motorway cruise at 70mph.

My e350 has had the update and I see over 40 mpg regularly.

My car has had the update on a 40 mile mixed roads journey it did 40mpg at an average speed of 56mph.I suppose the summer temp helps to lift it a bit

I’ve never seen anything quite like the advert on TV regarding Mercedes and legal action. I assume that there’s nothing that can be done to stop it or else they wouldn’t risk and Mercedes wouldn’t stand for it!

Mine is a 2015 E350 Bluetec and I received the recall letter from MB a few months ago. Having read all of the tales of woe above I didn't take it to a dealer and lit the fire with the letter.
On Wedneday I took it into my local MB indie for service and MOT, they are linked up to the MB system and the service is recorded on the MB system, but they had previously assured me that this would not mean that software updates would occur.
Today I happened to log onto the Mercedes Me web site and it tells me that my vehicle is up to date with software. Tokk the car for a 60 mile drive and all seems normal.
Phoned the MB dealer that I bought the car from and they said the car had not had the emisions software update (phew!, more amazingly that there is no update for my car???
It just shows once again how useless the Mercedes Me website is.

Hi guys,

I've had the update done in February, ever since my engine management light has been on. I called mercedes and they told me it would be £110 just to diagnose. Took the car to an indy had the DPF sensor and EGR valve replaced and still my engine management light is on with an error on the EGR and ECU, anyone else had this issue?

Piece of advice DO NOT HAVE THIS DONE, it will ruin your car.

Hi guys,

I've had the update done in February, ever since my engine management light has been on. I called mercedes and they told me it would be £110 just to diagnose. Took the car to an indy had the DPF sensor and EGR valve replaced and still my engine management light is on with an error on the EGR and ECU, anyone else had this issue?

Piece of advice DO NOT HAVE THIS DONE, it will ruin your car.
Get it on Star that'll hopefully pinpoint the issue for you. It does more than just read codes, each individual module/control unit can be tested in depth etc.

When the Indy changed the DPF and EGR did they diagnose the issue first and carry the work out as a remedy, or did they just change them on your instructions?

Having gone through electrical gremlins with my car it's so easy to get thrown off the right track without Star diagnostics.

Hey Bert,

They used the diagnostics, first had a DPF error and then a EGR. Had both fixed, recalibrated, wouldn't do a forced regeneration due to no soot in DPF. Engine management light turns off for a few days, then its back on. Now saying Egr blockage and ecu error. Honestly so frustrating.

All this started as soon as I had the update. Spoke with my dealership today and its going in on Wednesday, honestly all I can say is if this doesn't effect your insurance and isn't required, do not get this update done. Its cost me £500 in mechanical errors so far and still going on. Nightmare.

Mitch

[QUOTE="Isdyl, post: 2912038, member:

Harry Owrid of UK Customer Services quoting a statement from Daimler AG '.....has no relevant impact on the certified fuel consumption and CO2 emissions.....'.

[/QUOTE]

The important word here being 'certified'. Certified and real life can be worlds apart.

If it made no difference in real life, why wouldn't MB have done it originally when setting the parameters.

Got a letter today re software emissions update, they even sent a " DVSA booklet", " An urgent message, the UK safety recall scheme" and the letter uses mandatory, well it's neither an urgent safety issue or mandatory, what it is, is mb trying to cover their backs, they say any alteration to BHP, Torque power loss , or MPG will be rectified for free, the only noticeable difference will be slightly less mileage from the Bluretec tank than previously, well if it's all so good why are people complaining? Why also, are law firms queueing for our business on no win no fee? Others determined to take half your money win,lose or draw. Well for my money they can shove it where the sun don't shine. I told them last March at my bm service contract, even wrote it on their paperwork, and was told , "it's your car , do what you like. Well it won't be done again. Sod it. This service I think will include the gearbox oil change, maybe someone on here could confirm, my car has now done 67,500 MLS, and I' think it's due, it would be good if it is cos it's the last of four services on my contract, may go to independent in future depends wha t they want for renewal cost. I do think the free European cover is handy especially with our Spanish trips, but house now on market, so will still do European countries. Don't know how leaving EU will affect things, c'es la vie. 👍

Got a letter today re software emissions update, they even sent a " DVSA booklet", " An urgent message, the UK safety recall scheme" and the letter uses mandatory, well it's neither an urgent safety issue or mandatory, what it is, is mb trying to cover their backs, they say any alteration to BHP, Torque power loss , or MPG will be rectified for free, the only noticeable difference will be slightly less mileage from the Bluretec tank than previously, well if it's all so good why are people complaining? Why also, are law firms queueing for our business on no win no fee? Others determined to take half your money win,lose or draw. Well for my money they can shove it where the sun don't shine. I told them last March at my bm service contract, even wrote it on their paperwork, and was told , "it's your car , do what you like. Well it won't be done again. Sod it. This service I think will include the gearbox oil change, maybe someone on here could confirm, my car has now done 67,500 MLS, and I' think it's due, it would be good if it is cos it's the last of four services on my contract, may go to independent in future depends wha t they want for renewal cost. I do think the free European cover is handy especially with our Spanish trips, but house now on market, so will still do European countries. Don't know how leaving EU will affect things, c'es la vie. 👍
Bump!!!!

1700 rpm on a torquey Diesel is very reasonable (might be a bit low for a 4-Cyl petrol).

It's a moot point for me though, my car does not have flappy pedals and so I can only manually shift it up to 6th.

No idea what gear it's using when cruising at 70mph (though I can probably figure it out if I put my mind to it).
Can you not just change gear with the shifter? Push it side to side for up or down? Mine does.

You have to move to manual, change gear, then back to auto if I remember, not been in top gear for 10 months..

I switched to manual on the motorway, which tbh is exactly when you want it to be on auto...

You have to move to manual, change gear, then back to auto if I remember, not been in top gear for 10 months..

And given that most roads in Westminster and in Islington are now limited 20mph... I don't think that the top half of my gears have been used in the past year....

If I'm auto I can still shift up or down using paddles or shifter. Only thing with going down a gear is that it switches to manual change.

A lot of concerns and then there are some posts which mention nothing changed. Hard to make an informed decision on whether its worth having done. It does seem to affect certain engine variants than others. Mine is a 2011 E350 Diesel Sport (265bhp) BlueEfficiency (No adblue) Auto OM642 engine. Sitting here think whether its worth doing or not. Booked in for both the takata airbag (which defo is getting done) and the Voluntary Software diesel upgrade as per the website description below.

Your vehicle is affected by this voluntary service measure.
You will receive further details from us, unprompted, about the specific process as soon as the recall campaign begins. Your Mercedes-Benz Service Partner is prepared for the necessary action and will be happy to answer any questions.
If you have any queries you are welcome to contact us on 00 800 12 777 777.

Further information
In general, Daimler develops software updates for a major part of the diesel fleet with exhaust gas standards Euro 6b and Euro 5 in Europe, which improve the average nitrogen oxide emissions of the vehicles in normal driving operation. The company thus makes an important contribution towards further improving air quality.

"...Further information
In general, Daimler develops software updates for a major part of the diesel fleet with exhaust gas standards Euro 6b and Euro 5 in Europe, which improve the average nitrogen oxide emissions of the vehicles in normal driving operation. The company thus makes an important contribution towards further improving air quality."

This sounds to me like a drunk who urinated in public and was then made by police to clean it up, proudly telling passers-by that he's helping to keep the city's streets clean :thumb:

A lot of concerns and then there are some posts which mention nothing changed. Hard to make an informed decision on whether its worth having done. It does seem to affect certain engine variants than others. Mine is a 2011 E350 Diesel Sport (265bhp) BlueEfficiency (No adblue) Auto OM642 engine. Sitting here think whether its worth doing or not. Booked in for both the takata airbag (which defo is getting done) and the Voluntary Software diesel upgrade as per the website description below.

Your vehicle is affected by this voluntary service measure.
You will receive further details from us, unprompted, about the specific process as soon as the recall campaign begins. Your Mercedes-Benz Service Partner is prepared for the necessary action and will be happy to answer any questions.
If you have any queries you are welcome to contact us on 00 800 12 777 777.

Further information
In general, Daimler develops software updates for a major part of the diesel fleet with exhaust gas standards Euro 6b and Euro 5 in Europe, which improve the average nitrogen oxide emissions of the vehicles in normal driving operation. The company thus makes an important contribution towards further improving air quality.
I have the exact same car and engine and age.
As a person of modest means and also not wanting to be left stranded with errors, I've not elected for the update for the following reason:

If you get the update done, I believe it 'tightens' the parameters required for the NOx sensors. There are 2 of them.
The NOx sensors will not be changed when they do the update.
Shortly after the update, it's possible the car will throw an error. £200 for diagnostics later, you will be told you need a new NOx sensor compatible with the new software (V2 or V3 I think, compared with the V1 or V2 NOx sensors we will currently have). £1000+ please.
Off you go on your merry way.
A while later, the car might thrown another error. £200 for diagnostics later, you will be told you need to replace the other NOx sensor. Another £1000+ please.
So £2400+ potential direct cost as a result.
You might or might not get some contribution from the Merc dealer.

Also worthwhile understanding.
As mentioned by @Gazwould earlier in this thread, it is to reduce NOx, and reduced NOx means more fuel consumption, more soot and less torque.
That soot will EGR its way into your intake manifolds and clog them and the swirl flaps up.

You might also 'lose' 7th gear below 75mph (more specifically linked to 120kph I suspect), whereas currently I my autobox will shift to 7th as slow as 58mph under smooth, level ground conditions).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom