V6 Diesel software update recall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If I'm auto I can still shift up or down using paddles or shifter. Only thing with going down a gear is that it switches to manual change.
Changes back to auto after a short while .

A lot of concerns and then there are some posts which mention nothing changed. Hard to make an informed decision on whether its worth having done. It does seem to affect certain engine variants than others. Mine is a 2011 E350 Diesel Sport (265bhp) BlueEfficiency (No adblue) Auto OM642 engine. Sitting here think whether its worth doing or not. Booked in for both the takata airbag (which defo is getting done) and the Voluntary Software diesel upgrade as per the website description below.

Your vehicle is affected by this voluntary service measure.
You will receive further details from us, unprompted, about the specific process as soon as the recall campaign begins. Your Mercedes-Benz Service Partner is prepared for the necessary action and will be happy to answer any questions.
If you have any queries you are welcome to contact us on 00 800 12 777 777.

Further information
In general, Daimler develops software updates for a major part of the diesel fleet with exhaust gas standards Euro 6b and Euro 5 in Europe, which improve the average nitrogen oxide emissions of the vehicles in normal driving operation. The company thus makes an important contribution towards further improving air quality.I have the exact
So I have the exact same car as you. The dealer is doing the airbag recall only. They asked me upfront if I wanted the diesel software upgrade which I declined after listening to people here and also to my Indy who has seen a few cars being adversely affected. My car runs absolutely perfectly and I don’t want it going wonky.

So I have the exact same car as you. The dealer is doing the airbag recall only. They asked me upfront if I wanted the diesel software upgrade which I declined after listening to people here and also to my Indy who has seen a few cars being adversely affected. My car runs absolutely perfectly and I don’t want it going wonky.
Since my post, i spoke to a friend who knows a Merc Technician, who advised not to get it done....case closed (can't name any names unfortunately to protect the innocent)

I've had no paperwork about any updates of any kind. Should my car (2013 CLS 350 CDI) be due for anything, does anybody know? (Apart from any sort of engine ECU change - it's remapped, it's very satisfactory, and it's staying that way...).

If I'm auto I can still shift up or down using paddles or shifter. Only thing with going down a gear is that it switches to manual change.

But not all cars have pedal shifters.

On a 'standard' automatic transmission, you can't shift manually into the top gear. The manual option will only shift up to one under top (because once in top gear there's no difference between manual and D).

Manually shifting into top gear is only possible on cars equiped with the Tiptronic option (aka 'pedal shifter').

I've had no paperwork about any updates of any kind. Should my car (2013 CLS 350 CDI) be due for anything, does anybody know? (Apart from any sort of engine ECU change - it's remapped, it's very satisfactory, and it's staying that way...).
It's more the euro6 that was cheated on by mb .

But not all cars have pedal shifters.

On a 'standard' automatic transmission, you can't shift manually into the top gear. The manual option will only shift up to one under top (because once in top gear there's no difference between manual and D).

Manually shifting into top gear is only possible on cars equiped with the Tiptronic option (aka 'pedal shifter').
My 2004 e320 didn't have paddles , but I could use the gearstick + and - to still shift with the car in D .

What's a pedal shifter ?

My 2004 e320 didn't have paddles , but I could use the gearstick + and - to still shift with the car in D .

What's a pedal shifter ?

My car has the 7G+ box, and no paddle shifters. In Manual mode it will only go up to 6th gear. To get it to go to 7th on the Motorway I need to take it out of manual mode and put it back in D.

Paddle shifters is an option that allows you to manually change gears via pedals behind tbe steering wheel, racing-style:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

(EDIT: 'pedal' was an autocorrect typo....)

Dennis, have you had the airbag recall ? I got a separate letter for both.

Dennis, have you had the airbag recall ? I got a separate letter for both.

Check your reg on the Mercedes recalls website.

Check your reg on the Mercedes recalls website.
There's no mention of an airbag, so I presume my car is not affected. The website records that the software update has been done, which may explain the remap of unknown provenance that was on it when the second owner took it up to MSL for their remap; maybe the first owner had the software update, found the car worse than before, and had it remapped to fix the fix...

There's no mention of an airbag, so I presume my car is not affected. The website records that the software update has been done, which may explain the remap of unknown provenance that was on it when the second owner took it up to MSL for their remap; maybe the first owner had the software update, found the car worse than before, and had it remapped to fix the fix...

Indeed . A tuner told me after the update a new map for fuel efficiency and power can be reinstalled. I was sceptical about what happens to ad blue spraying, he assured me that doesn't change. But fuelling does change . I may still go for a remap myself £300 for 300 bhp and 720 nm of torque . Maybe better economy and better gear changes .

I've got second letter through post few days ago (first was posted back in 2020 or 2021 but ignored it ) for software update I've got W212 E220 CDI 2011 (I believe Euro 5 ) that I've purchased back in 2017 from first owner. My car is now very close to 130k miles, last 70k is M4 motorway mileage and I have to say after reading all your posts I'm a bit confused as what should I do...Car performs well (only 5 speed auto) with the lowest recorded consumptions of 63MPG (on average between 48-58 depending on traffic and weather )and has been serviced with INDY in Reading. TBF a bit disappointed with 212 generally comparing to my older Mercs, , some 'typical' OM651 problems, leaky injectors, water pump, intake manifold, leaks from oil and fuel filter housing, recently new rear subframe as the original one corroded and nearly killed me, and a few more defects....But back to the subject after spending so much money over past few years I don't want to ruin it with new software to get poorer performance, higher fuel consumption or possible EGR or DPF faults. As mentioned before I service it with INDY , it hasn't seen dealership since 2015 (according to history) so few questions here:
1: can I ignore this recall based on fact that I'm not going to service my car in dealership ?
2: will it affect my future MOT if I refuse an update (on MOT GOV it states that it was recalled due to emissions) ?
3: From what I read I understand that update its not compulsory?
Apologies for renewing such an old post but didn't want to create new related one.
Regards

Jack

Hi,

I know this is an older post, but I've literally just been informed of this software update.

Basically, several weeks ago now, I got the Airbag recall letter for my 2012 C350cdi Sport. I called the local MB Dealer (not the one I used to use, I'm not down that way any more) and was told there was some additional software update I was due as well, but they did not have the details of it to hand. As my car is booked in for tomorrow, I just got the online Check In email sent to me, so I checked in, as it said it will have the complete schedule of work.

Now, I'd previously said to the dealer that under no circumstances did I want an anonymous update performed on my car, where they cannot tell me what it does. Period. They mentioned it would be discussed when I got there. However, the schedule of works I got when checking in clearly shows it's software update SMPC756 they're talking about. So, now I know what they're planning and will clearly refuse the update.

However, I do wonder where I stand if MB ignore my request? If they wreck my fuel economy / performance I'll be very unhappy. My car is running very well indeed, will happily get 50+ mpg on a long run, flies through the MoT with the testers remarking how clean it runs. The car doesn't get used much, perhaps once or twice a week, but does do a reasonable distance when it is used. I really don't want to rock the boat when it's running, and has been running well for the past almost ten years of ownership.

Early on they seemed to install without informing customers and often ignore requests. The impression I've gotten from being on this forum is that the request is usually respected these days, according to members on here.

You'll be able to tell by when the car shifts into 7th gear, along with checking the diesel software update database with your VIN, not to mention the decreased MPG.

The airbag recall has nothing to do with a software update so it's not required for the airbag recall, but if you say nothing they will update your car's software as a 'courtesy' (and to meet their quota).

If they ignore your request, you'll get nowhere, is my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom