V8 addict

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rik430

Car
CLK430
Hello. As some of you may know, I recently bought a 2000 plate CLK430 and I absolutely love it! Admittedly the fantastic V8 engine has ZERO respect for fuel but I love it and that sound...... sooooo good :) :)
After a bit of research it come to my attention that there is only about 230 CLK430’s (avantgarde) models registered on the U.K. roads. So with that mind and the fact that mine is fortunately rust free with a good spec I’ve now decided that I’m going to have it as more of a weekend car but I also want to grow my Mercedes V8 collection with a SL500 (for the sunny weekends) I’ve always wanted one and what with the Covid pandemic I’ve noticed a slight decrease across the board on all used car prices. But being that I’ve not had the pleasure in owning one before or had the privilege to drive one, I’m unaware of any known common issues/faults and what to look out for. So I’m turning to you guys for your helpful advice and tips. Obviously full MB service history is a must and the lower millage models are more desirable however is there anything specific that I should be looking out for? Also what are the model options for the SL500 and what is the differences? Like the CLK has the options of an elegance or avantgarde, is that the same with the SL? Does the engine and gearbox have the same bulletproof reputation? Is there a flappy paddle option? Do they suffer with the same notorious rust issues like the early SLK’s and CLK’s? All help and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Stay safe

It might help if you state which model or approx age you're considering; there are basically four different models of SL500, ie the 107, 129, 230 and 231 series, all very different.

It might help if you state which model or approx age you're considering; there are basically four different models of SL500, ie the 107, 129, 230 and 231 series, all very different.
Sorry my bad! I’m looking for one that is between 2004 and 2006. I think not 100% sure but it’s the 230? Thanks

Sorry my bad! I’m looking for one that is between 2004 and 2006. I think not 100% sure but it’s the 230? Thanks
Yes that is the R230.
Choose very carefully, or it will cost you a fortune and your sanity. A pre purchase inspection is an absolute must with this model.
Water leaks being the main issue.

Yes that is the R230.
Choose very carefully, or it will cost you a fortune and your sanity. A pre purchase inspection is an absolute must with this model.
Water leaks being the main issue.
Water leak?? where does the water leak from........the roof?

The SL500 must be the most asked about model on MB forums. Using the search facility on the forum will give you all the information anyone will ever need on the model!

I believe the revised model after 2008? has better water seals so the problem of the boot flooding is not so common. I would personally look for a car with "air scarf" and a panoramic roof
kc

For the ABC suspension alone , make sure you have £5k set aside for pump and struts just in case . I love the look of the car and am always searching them on Autotrader , but there are some scary stories out there with costs of thousands a year in repairs .

Hello. As some of you may know, I recently bought a 2000 plate CLK430 and I absolutely love it! Admittedly the fantastic V8 engine has ZERO respect for fuel but I love it and that sound...... sooooo good :) :)
After a bit of research it come to my attention that there is only about 230 CLK430’s (avantgarde) models registered on the U.K. roads. So with that mind and the fact that mine is fortunately rust free with a good spec I’ve now decided that I’m going to have it as more of a weekend car but I also want to grow my Mercedes V8 collection with a SL500 (for the sunny weekends) I’ve always wanted one and what with the Covid pandemic I’ve noticed a slight decrease across the board on all used car prices. But being that I’ve not had the pleasure in owning one before or had the privilege to drive one, I’m unaware of any known common issues/faults and what to look out for. So I’m turning to you guys for your helpful advice and tips. Obviously full MB service history is a must and the lower millage models are more desirable however is there anything specific that I should be looking out for? Also what are the model options for the SL500 and what is the differences? Like the CLK has the options of an elegance or avantgarde, is that the same with the SL? Does the engine and gearbox have the same bulletproof reputation? Is there a flappy paddle option? Do they suffer with the same notorious rust issues like the early SLK’s and CLK’s? All help and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Stay safe
I have owned 2 R230s, both SL350s, one 2007 and the other 2010. I specifically avoided cars with ABC suspension but not sure if all SL500s have it as standard. Both mine were bought at around 30K miles and were totally trouble free. Do make sure that the roof seals have been looked after or replaced, and make sure that the roof drainage chanels are kept clean. Both mine were made after the timing chain issues were sorted. I would go for the youngest and lowest mileage one that you can afford. Good luck with the search!

R230 SL500's only come in one flavour. The year range you are looking at will have different COMAND head units but pretty much everything else is the same. IMO options to look out for are AMG bodykit (quite rare), panoramic roof and staggered 18" or 19" alloy wheels. There were also a number of different wood trims available.

Make sure you check the boot for leaks and check the ABC suspension, ABC is sublime and much cheaper now to fix. As already said do a search on the forum, I have posted numerous times on what to check, as have others, and then ask any questions for clarity.

BTW, if you think an SL350 would suit you better then don't drive an SL500!

thank you to all who have replied with your help. I’m wondering if it would be more sensible for me to hold out a bit and save a little more and just go for a SL55. I’ve seen some really well looked after examples that are reasonably priced with full MB service and low millage. Being that I may come across issues with ABC suspension and to sort it could be around the 5k mark I’m thinking if I was to put that towards my search budget then I maybe able to afford my dream car within the next 12 months. Also I know that if I got a 500 then I’ll be wishing I held out and got the 55. Does the 55AMG have the same suspension issues?

Last edited:
thank you to all who have replied with your help. I’m wondering if it would be more sensible for me to hold out a bit and save a little more and just go for a SL55. I’ve seen some really well looked after examples that are reasonably priced with full MB service and low millage. Being that I may come across issues with ABC suspension and to sort it could be around the 5k mark I’m thinking if I was to put that towards my search budget then I maybe able to afford my dream car within the next 12 months. Also I know that if I got a 500 then I’ll be wishing I held out and got the 55. Does the 55AMG have the same suspension issues?

The comments re the SL500 are also relevant to the SL55. To get an equivalent SL55 you should budget to spend roughly double on the car and be prepared for all spare parts to cost a lot more. That said the SL55 is a fantastic car.

I know that the SL55 will be a lot more expensive in maintaining but I think the overall feeling and excitement the car will give me every time I drive it will be much more rewarding plus I have to consider the re sale value when I want to upgrade it to the 55. I will probably lose more than half of what I paid out. So it makes more sense to hold out and buy the one I really want. Like someone said on another thread, when it comes to buying these cars your more likely to choose with your heart over your head which is not the best way to go.

The SL55 in your post looks like a nice one, its missing the panoramic roof though. Personally I find my SL500 gives me everything I need in a V8 convertible, I agree that the SL55 is the nicer model but for me its not twice as nice! My comment re don't drive a SL500 if you want and SL350 holds true for the SL55, I.e. don't drive a SL55 if you want an SL500! Although I did and still bought my 500.

The SL55 in your post looks like a nice one, its missing the panoramic roof though. Personally I find my SL500 gives me everything I need in a V8 convertible, I agree that the SL55 is the nicer model but for me its not twice as nice! My comment re don't drive a SL500 if you want and SL350 holds true for the SL55, I.e. don't drive a SL55 if you want an SL500! Although I did and still bought my 500.

i completely agree with what your saying cos when you drive one your always going to be let down when you drive the better. I’ve previously dabbled in occasionally importing cars from over seas if they have all the options I’ve been looking for at a good price when I can’t find one in the U.K. offering all my needs. So with that said I’ve widen my search and you would be surprised what is on offer at great value. Do you have any option on the SL600?

This car is stunning...... yes it’s left hand drive but like at it!!! For £25000 including shipping costs along with DVLA registration fees I think that’s great value. Also being from the States it’s not gonna have been neglected from the awful British weather

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom