V8 CDi & ML63 Running Costs/MPG etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just perusing the internet this morning planning for my eventual change of car in a couple of months and I can't stop looking at ML & GL V8 CDI's and the ML63.

I've got used to low 20's mpg in the Discovery, so that's not that much of a concern really, but I do like to know what I'm letting myself in for.

Any real world mpg figures on both would be appreciated (I know it's all relative)

And for those V8 CDI owners; how's the reliability? Anything you would see as being good advice would be well received.

I had a D3 and replaced it with a GL 420CDI ( now gone).

Driving around locally I got about 22 to 23mpg out of both of them.

On a gentle motorway journey at about 70 to 80 the GL would deliver 27 to 28mpg. Can’t really remember what the D3 did. I don’t do many gentle motorway trips.

Attempting a fast 700 mile journey from Uk to Bavaria I would get about 22 from the D3. I say attempting because the D3 didn't really do fast. Doing the same journey in the GL at speeds the D3 couldn't even contemplate the GL managed about 22mpg. This is travelling at speeds of 110 to 120 for hours at a time.

So fuel consumption is about the same. Performance is in entirely another league.

GL was pretty reliable over some 50k miles. Couple of injectors which the dealer said was unusual and one suspension damper. That’s about it.

GL is a brilliant car; the D3 just doesn't compare. The third row seats in the GL are adult sized. If you really want to it can do just about anything off road that the D3 can manage, it just doesn't have the same off road ride as the D3.

GL is a brilliant car; the D3 just doesn't compare. The third row seats in the GL are adult sized. If you really want to it can do just about anything off road that the D3 can manage, it just doesn't have the same off road ride as the D3.
Brilliant, thanks a lot for that Ray, that was just what I was looking for.

The 3rd row of seats in the D3 are the best seats in the car to be fair.

I had cause to run down the M1 this morning and as much as I like the D3, it isn't a happy-chappy over 70 which is where I spend most of my time when on the motorway, whereas I know that both the ML & GL is comfortable at those speeds.

I've just been researching the Brabus D8 chip, it'll take the V8 up to 350bhp and the peak torque to 800nm.

This may be the best 'compromise' if I were to buy the GL, with there being no 63 available.

ML420 with chip and paddle shifters is certainly fun!

As others have said, mpg is anything between 20-30. I had a GL on loan and liked it a lot. If you don't do many motorway miles, have a look at 500 ML/GL as suggested above - 420 are thirsty in town.

ML420 with chip and paddle shifters is certainly fun!

As others have said, mpg is anything between 20-30. I had a GL on loan and liked it a lot. If you don't do many motorway miles, have a look at 500 ML/GL as suggested above - 420 are thirsty in town.

Do you have a Kleeman kit on yours? Is it any good and what does it cost?

Do you have a Kleeman kit on yours? Is it any good and what does it cost?

I have a Kleemann chip and it was about £750 2-3 years back. Brabus chip was double that but it reads data from a few more sensors. They both add about 50 HP and you could feel the difference pretty much after it adapted - the acceleration is quicker and the whole car just feels more lively. I was unable to see any effect on the fuel consumption. Rumour has it, the car should return up to 5 mpg more.

Well...I'm in the market for the 420 V8 CDi I'm sure, although I'll not discount a either a good 320 V6 CDi or '63 AMG.

I'm thinking about buying that garish gold chrome ML420 CDi on eBay and having the wrap removed because it does look high spec.

I would make sure they take it off before you buy it though, what if you remove it and someone has poured battery acid over the car??

I would make sure they take it off before you buy it though, what if you remove it and someone has poured battery acid over the car??

They state in their advert that they can remove the wrap before sale, so I'd just get them to do it and then have a butchers.

Or I could keep the wrap and drive around town wearing a gold shell-suit on, with a bit of bhangra pumping out the stereo... :cool:

I remember seeing that one as it popped up in the search suggestions from another posted eBay ad on here.

£4500 for a gold wrap I think it was...

Bargain. I imagine that wasn't the amount paid.

:crazy:

I suspect they may have made their choice nearly seven years ago?

Still thanks for unearthing an old thread.

Lee has probably had 462,525 cars since this thread was started... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom