V8 praise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T81

Car
CLS 55
On a drive out yesterday I overtook a couple of cars which were going very slow, soon after I then pulled into a petrol station and one of the cars followed me, an elderly chap got out and walked over and said how he loved the sound of a V8, ha I’ve got to admit it does sound amazing!

Best sound in the automotive world imo; a cross-plane crank V8 👍 Although ultimately for me it has to be a pig-iron American one from the 60s or 70s ;)

Last edited:
Yup, MUST be a cross plane.
The V8 is closely followed I think by a 5 or a 10.
Don't forget V12s ;) I had a 5 before the current V8, they are indeed a charismatic sounding engine 👍

12s are best at high.
Don't find that myself - can't go wrong with 1000nm's of torque. Having said that noisewise can't beat an old school Chevy 327 with a mild cam, headers and big 4 barrel. Missing that, since the children "inherited" it off me.

Don't find that myself - can't go wrong with 1000nm's of torque. Having said that noisewise can't beat an old school Chevy 327 with a mild cam, headers and big 4 barrel. Missing that, since the children "inherited" it off me.
Oh right I always find that 12s are very rough sounding at idle but not in the tuneful smooth and lumpy way that a V8 is and then once it gets over 3K the smooth shriek comes in. I mean sounding their best at high RPMs - I know that torque won't be an issue.

I quite like the US V8s but I'm not too fond of how raspy they are.

mustang coupe 289 bored plus 40 stroker stainless exhaust ...what a sound !!!! miss it !!

Old-style V8 Detroit Iron at low revs, n/a straight six (petrol, not diesel) at high revs. Modern techno-farting, however loud, leaves me cold.

As they always say, they’re ain’t no replacement for displacement

Well how's this for V8?
Hispano Suiza or Wolseley Viper unit
The first V8 engine I ever built from a basket case as an 18 years old.
With bits missing I had to make some vital parts for it.
That was back in 1968 and its still running today in an Hispano Suiza car !
Concourse de elegance winner several times over at the "Fair on the Green" in Frampton U Severn.
Unforgettable, a bit like your first romp in a Gloucestershire haybarn with the 18 year old stable girl, & the 'orses for company! :eek:
Tuercas viejas

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Old-style V8 Detroit Iron at low revs, n/a straight six (petrol, not diesel) at high revs. Modern techno-farting, however loud, leaves me cold.
Better still, a big block with a huge GMC blower at idle, with it's whoomp whoomp whoomp sound. Kids with their piddly Focuses etc and their pops and crackles don't know a thing apart from how to irritate.

My old cobra had a 383 sbc Chevy running through 4" sidepipes, it was always the boy racer types that wanted me to rev the engine whist waiting at the lights, they loved it.

On a Tesla X at Loch Leven on Saturday was the reg no: V8CRP. I'm not sure what the point was...there could be a few explanations!

Ernie

I think that happens a lot - a present of a reg number, and then they change cars, and despite it being embarassing for car nerds, they just take their initials with them. A mate of mine was given X5 R*P - his initials and put it on a series of Nissans - I foudn it painful, but he didn't notice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom