V8 timing belt/chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rich

Car
2001 E55 AMG Aprilia SL1000 Honda VTX1800C
Can someone tell me which it is, belt or chain? And how often do they need servicing?
Btw is there a 'big' service on the E55 AMG other than the 'B' service?

- Rich

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you

Rich, my V8 has a belt but the engine is the 4.3. As for servicing, I'll have a look in the book tomorrow.

Cheers.

Check this link out: http://www.assyst.miknik.co.uk/

you can follow the chart and the guidelines to work out what is needed / has been done. Sometimes all the 3 years / 2 years / 30,000 miles etc frequencies land on the same service and you get a BIG one, I had a £580 service once because of that.

the big one is normally four years ,B service where it should have air,oil.fuel,pollenmaybe ,gearbox filters and oil change,diff oil change,spark plugs,brake fluid and coolant if it has,nt been done at 3 years.
tell me the mileage of your car and what service it had last and what they changed and I will tell you exactly what it needs.
never seen a merc v8 with a cambelt pretty sure they are all chain driven.

Thanks guys. I take it, it's not a polyvee, it's a chain. Or is it?
Btw does anyone here do the A at his friendly local and the B at a main dealer and is it always a false economy?

- Rich

it is definatly a chain I will bet you a thousand quid.
a service is just oil and filter and check over,unless it need extras like brakefluid and coolant etc
brakefluid change is every 2 years and coolant every 3 years.
diff oil every 4 years or there abouts and same with gearbox unless you are doing high mileage every year.
spark plugs every 4 years wether you have done the mileage or not,as we find they tend to seize in the head and break.
would just have a b service done at a dealership and just keep a record of when coolant,brakefluid etc needs doing.
you can get your oil and lightd,levels checked anywhere.
thats just my opinion anyway.

Boy's, mine is a chain.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom