Vacuum cleaners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

daveenty

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S63 Coupe
Not a "which model" or anything like that, but does anyone know if it's possible to slow the motor down on one using a dimmer type switch?

I have a little Vax Mach8 which is currently being used as part of a dust extraction system in a blast cabinet, though at the moment it's much too powerful and sucking half the media out as well as the dust.

I was thinking of something like a light dimmer switch though, as I know the square root of bugger all about either electricity or motors, thought that someone may be able to point me in the right direction as in what to get to slow it down.

The only condition is that it needs to be variable as it will be a lot of trial and error, plus different air pressure for various things, so adjustment will be necessary.

How about an air-bleed on the suction, a bit like some 'hoovers' have on the handle?

^^^^+1 what he said, much less problematic..

Overwhelmed with the replies Gents, thanks and I'll try to answer in order.

A dimmer switch would be my first thoughts.

You and I both, yet it seems to easy. However, there are various designs of controllers around, ranging from a few quid to vastly expensive, so I'll do some more asking first before I commit to anything.

Just not sure if it would have the power handling characteristic
AC Motor Speed Controller Circuit

Sorry Graeme, that web page all went whoosh on me. :( I did warn you that me and electricity don't mix. :)

How about an air-bleed on the suction, a bit like some 'hoovers' have on the handle?
^^^^+1 what he said, much less problematic..

Never thought of this way. Off to cannibalise the Dyson to find out how these work now. :D

I've got a mate of mine popping round later who happens to be an electrician so I'll put these suggestions to him and see what he can come up with.

I once installed a (well, more than one) dimmer switch in our old kitchen which has 12 halogen ceiling spotlights.

I blew 2 before I realised that a standard switch couldn't cope with the power consumption, the solution was to buy a heavy duty dimmer which cost something like 4 times the normal switch.

Just a thought, your hoover will be a bit more powerful than my old ceiling lights I expect.

This is the bit which worries me. the Vax thing is 1400 watts apparently, so will need something substantial.

I vote for the physical method. Having something partially block the tube will reduce the "wind" and/or using an airbleed as above. An airbleed doesn't have to be a clever slider: you could use a y-piece to split the tube into two - one to the cabinet and one to a "tap" which lets in a variable amount of air?

You can't use a dimmer switch. They don't reduce voltage, they pulse the power on and off in quick succession which will screw the motor's pole timing right up.

Also as said it won't handle the power.

A variac is what you need, but it's an expensive bit of kit to reduce the suck on a vacuum.

Just waste some of the suction away either by making a hole, or if you're hoping to enjoy reduced noise, a considerably longer hose will put the vacuum out the way and reduce the throughput.

You can't use a dimmer switch. They don't reduce voltage, they pulse the power on and off in quick succession which will screw the motor's pole timing right up.

Also as said it won't handle the power.

A variac is what you need, but it's an expensive bit of kit to reduce the suck on a vacuum.

Had to look those up. Understand what you mean about expensive. :eek:

Just waste some of the suction away either by making a hole, or if you're hoping to enjoy reduced noise, a considerably longer hose will put the vacuum out the way and reduce the throughput.

This seems the logical way to go, and I'll be playing with it next week now hopefully, amongst other cabinet modifications.

Thanks all, appreciate your help and advice. :thumb:

What about creating a larger extractor hole with a funnel type arrangement. might be simpler than other ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom