vacuum layout 300sl24 r129 ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonnyboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
1991 sl300-24 project,s124 280,w115 no interior, w108 project no engine
As per my question hijacking a newbie's thread - here are some pics of what I need to clarify if anyone out there at all can help? The guy helping me with the engine swap only marked up one pipe so I am in no mans land and there is confusion with lengths of pipe from the replacement engine (from a 124), one of the existing pipes snapped too just to complicate matters.

If there is one that is definitive irrespective of model (ie the one under the throttle body/the ignition control unit one etc please please do speak up - the process of elimination could sort it out !!

IMG00663-20110215-1758.jpg

IMG00664-20110215-1759.jpg

IMG00667-20110215-1800.jpg

IMG00670-20110215-1801.jpg

That last one is an electrical valve on the nsf inner wing next to the abs unit.

Finally there is one that is attached to the auxiliary air pump assembly low down under the exhaust manifolds - where does that run to?

Many many many hopeful thanks. Could do with some good news right about now for a change after the few weeks I have had.
Appreciated.

Evening John.

I've got the same car as you (recognise that, to be frank, bloody awful throttle linkage...) and have been faffing with said throttle linkage quite a bit recently so am relatively familiar with the pipes that run around it.

Let me have a look tomorrow night and see if I can work it out for you. Unless of course other people solve it for you in which case I won't!

If all else fails you can always come have a look yourself - I'm in central London. Mine's a 94 registered 93 MY 300SL-24.

Cheers,

James

Thanks James, appreciated.

Does anyone know where the vacuum connection on an ignition control unit goes to (presume it will be common throughout the entire MB range?

Right!

I'm going to do this by words although I've taken pictures but the buggers won't upload. PM and I can send you the pics.

In the first photo - both of the pipes you highlight head sown to the back of the gearbox althuogh where I could not see as it's too far under.

In the second photo the pipe with the blue collar that has the other pipe under suspicion are also attached together as in your photo but in mine it's with a Y shaped pipe. They, along with the other pipe run up through the bulkhead towards the black box with the inspection hole to the right hand side of the windscreen when looking from the front.

In photo 3 the pipe from behind the headlights runs up under the black pastic cover, either towards the distributor under the black cover or up to the black box with the inspection hole mentioned in 2. I guess it's distributor related?

In photo 4 the green coloured pipe seems to run up towards the distributor, but as for the other two I'm afraid I can't tell. There's one that runs into the underside of the breather pipe that goes from the engine block through to the air filter - it's not one of those is it?

Sorry I can't be of more help, but without pulling my car apart completely I can't tell exactly where some one the pipes go. as i said, when you're up and about again you're more than welcome to come and have a look yourself.

Good luck!

Cheers,

J

update - it uploaded the bloody photo's!

will try a few others - should be self explanatory....

J

Attachments

• 17022011867.jpg
    17022011867.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 17022011870.jpg
    17022011870.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 17022011868.jpg
    17022011868.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Thanks for that James.
The Y arrangement is the same as mine but the route of the left hand pipe (in your pic) under the manifold is a mystery.

Hey ho.

Hi John.

No worries. If you're talking about the pipe you can see in my first photo behind the Y-shaped pipe with the blue collar, the one you think in your second photo might go towards the gearbox, it doesn't. They both go through the bulkhead towards the big black box with the inspection hatch. It does not go down to the gearbox.

Hope this helps a bit more. Any more questions let me know and I'll help if possible.

The only pipes that go to the gearbox are the two shown in your first photo, plus one more which I recall had a red stripe which leads from somewhere else unidentifiable and not seemingly linked to the other pipes you're looking at - unless it comes from one of the pipes at the front of the car :dk:

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom