Valeo radiator strikes again

Discussion in 'Engine' started by tagnut, Dec 10, 2010.

1. tagnut

tagnut Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    '03 E320 CDI Avantgarde
    Ok so I knew that I had a Valeo radiator and was planning to replace it soon anyway but..... I took my car in for service, new thermostat and ATF change today, I asked my local Indie to send a sample of the ATF away for a glycol test although I haven't had any symptoms in the car. He rang me back this afternoon to say no need, you can see globules of coolant in the gearbox oil. :doh: Guess that means I need to change the radiator now then :(

On top of this I also need new rear springs (both cracked) and new rear discs and pads. Why is it always in threes :dk:

Anyway, hoping I've just caught this in time and that there will be no further repercussions down the line. I don't know if it was just it's time to fail or if the recent cold snap had anything to do with it but would recommend anyone out there that still has one of these on a pre-2004 to get it checked out

2. jaymanek

jaymanek Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    Just make sure the garage do a proper flush of the old ATF otherwise your torque convertor will be affected.

1 person likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    tagnut

Car:
    '03 E320 CDI Avantgarde
    Cheers Jay, yes thanks to all of the amazing information on this forum I knew all the right questions to ask. He's done a few of these before, still deals with the same cars and they haven't had any more issues so I trust him to do a good job.

4. jpspencer

jpspencer New Member

Car:
    E320 CDi Sport Estate W211
    Auto fluid change(when)+Valeo issue on 320cdi???

Can anyone tell me when the Valeo Radiators were dropped from production? Does the effect my 2006 E320cdi Spert Auto W211?
    Also, is it advisable to change the Auto transmission fluid as I have always done on my previous autos? Is it something an indi can do and what would the likely cost be?
    Thanks, Jon..............:cool:

5. jaymanek

jaymanek Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    September 2003.

Yes its advisable to do an ATF change at every 50-60K or around 3-4 years IMO.

6. OP
    OP
    tagnut

Car:
    '03 E320 CDI Avantgarde
    Yes any decent indi should be able to do this. Cost around £170. Need to make sure the old ATF is fully flushed through and the filter replaced.

7. Peter DLM

Peter DLM Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    19 reg CLS 350d, 67 reg AMG GT R Caterham Levante
    M.B.S in Southampton is working on a separate g/box oil cooler kit to remedy this. It'll work out cheaper than a new radiator. The kit will also look OEM.

1 person likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    tagnut

Car:
    '03 E320 CDI Avantgarde
    Bit late for me I'm afraid, new radiator already fitted.

1 person likes this.
  9. BlackC55

BlackC55 Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Horndean, Portsmouth, Hampshire, Southsea
    Car:
    C43 AMG with a 55 engine and supercharger, E55 AMG, S500, etc

Been done already ;)

3 people like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    tagnut

Car:
    '03 E320 CDI Avantgarde
    All sorted now. Got the car back last night and had a bit of a panic on due some vibration and occasional judder when pulling away. :eek:

Turned out to be the handbrake shoes in the new discs being set slightly too tight and binding on. Now sorted. :)

Saw the ATF they'd taken out - completely black! Don't think this has been changed at all in the past as I can't find any reference to it in the service record (now on 130K)

Also don't think I've ever seen the temperature gauge so high before so suspect it's been running cold for the last year and a half :doh:

Also saw the removed rear springs, both broken clean through near bottom and I had no idea :confused:. Having checked the service history these were done by MB just 40K miles ago so surprised they have gone again so quickly

Anyway, car is now running fantastic and a big part of that is down to all the information I've picked up since joining this forum. I certainly wouldn't have known about the radiator and ATF so would have probably run it until the torque converter or gearbox was knackered.

So I'd just like to thank all of the knowledgable people who take the time to share their wisdom and experiences on here for the benefit of all. I for one really appreciate it :thumb:

Cheers,

11. flt.eng

flt.eng Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E320 avantgared
    g G/B oil cooler mod.

Can you give me some details of this mod.

12. SchwarzesAMG

SchwarzesAMG Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK W209
    I am fitting an auto tranny soon so it would be really helpful is someone can provide a link or a way to order and get our hands on one of these!
    I want t o avoid the OEM rad even if the issue has been fixed, i just wanna keep things straight with the trannys oil rad seperate :)

13. flt.eng

flt.eng Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E320 avantgared
    MBS southampton have just Emailed me, that they are expecting a batch of there mods. Hopefully ariving this week & will be sending me pictures of it. When I get them ,I will forward them on, to this site

14. Lockking

Lockking Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W208 CLK320 Cab/Jaguar 3.0 S Type/W208 CLK 430 Cab
    Was the Valeo rad fitted to W208 facelift cars? Cheers all.

15. OzC36

OzC36 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1996 C36
    Hi tagnut,

Pleased to hear your car is happy once again.

With regards to cracked springs, I haven't heard anything about springs cracking on a newish Merc...it doesn't seem right?

Has anyone else noted that this is it a normal failure mode for this car?

16. JohnDeere8530

JohnDeere8530 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

my dad has and august 03 registered c180, I guess this means it has a valeo rad then. Any easy way of telling without removing loads of panels to see ?

17. OP
    OP
    tagnut

Car:
    '03 E320 CDI Avantgarde
    Certainly 40k does seem quick for them to go but I have no idea how the previous owners treated the suspension. I've only done 20K in it since I got it. I also had to change the front springs last year after the nearside one broke. Hopefully won't need to do any of them again for quite a while.

18. eugekav

eugekav Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    mb w211 estate
    seems like similar problem to me

yes i had broken rear springs last year the noise esp over sleeping policemen was like the suspension was bottoming out the vovo independant i thimk? he charged me £300.for the springs inc labour that sounded reasonable to me but what do i know?

19. OzC36

OzC36 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1996 C36
    Thanks tagnut and eugekav for your feedback on your experiences with the cracked springs.

20. A210AMG

A210AMG MB Club Veteran

My Car has a delivery date of 24/10/2003

Full MB service history since then, Have I / culd I have this problem?

a) How much is a new rad
    b) How much is the 'kit' to add to existing rad to stop problem?