Value of a '78 USA-spec R107 450 SL

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

drewpasmith

Car
W140 600 SEL
Hi there,

My husband's dad is clearing out his shed in Northern Idaho and has asked us if we'd like to buy his 450 SL.

It has c. 40k miles, is in superb mechanical condition and is finished in rust-free black over black leather. The hard top comes with the car, too.

Of course, it's a USA-delivered car, so has the big bumpers and 4, round headlamps in addition to being LHD.

Thing is, I'm struggling to work out what it's worth. We'd only be paying around £4k for it, which is less than UK-market cars of a similar vintage/condition. But I'm unsure how the UK market would respond to a USA-spec car should it come time to sell.

Also, what would need to be done to make the car roadworthy in the UK?

Are there any 107 fans out there with a view on this?

Cheers,

Drew

With that mileage and if condition is that good sounds a bargain. Dont forget the shipping costs/import tax though. To register here it will need a minimum of appropriate lights and possibly a speedo in mph. As to resale does it really matter? Wont be easy to sell but anything will sell at a price. If you are buying it at a good price just go ahead and enjoy it.

As has been said lights indicators speedo - probably tyres and soft top if its been sat around-- tyres will be an usual size at that age- don't know about the unleaded fuel issue on that model. Some of the USA models engines were pretty "strangled" output wise by their emissions equipment. However virtually the only thing of importance on these very collectable cars is the body / chassis condition if its in very good condition body/chassis /trim wise its worth buying- you could always sell it in the LHD European market. SOMEONE MAY EVEN WANT IT IN ITS ORIGINAL USA SPEC! Converting to RHD if you contemplating that would not be a wise option. Insurance for LHD car would be more but if the car was on a classic limited use policy should not be an issue.
WARNING----- there will be "paperwork" to negotiate.
The earlier R107s don't command the astronomical prices of the late 80's models which can reach £20k They tend to hover around half that for sound RHD UK spec models. LHD and mods required to make it road legal would be an issue but off the top of my head £7,500 for one in excellent condition.

Last edited:
Having recently imported a newer car I would get some information from both Customs and DVLA before proceeding (if you are thinking of bringing it over to the UK) Also a shipping agent can be very useful. Make sure you transport the car to your home address too as a UK resident is not allowed to drive a foreign registered car in your home country. (rules changed April 2013). If you did risk the drive home the car would be technically uninsured (even with an insurance certificate based on the VIN)and it could be crushed.
I have imported cars in the past when it was a lot simpler than it is at present. I have also exported cars to Africa. It was a lot easier a year ago.
Saying that an older car such as yours is not so heavy on paperwork as a modern import (emissions), but you still want all the American paperwork and DVLA will only want origionals or paperwork reissued by Mercedes (which will probably be in German).
Some of the people who used to import from Japan have now given up although i would say that if you do have problems both customs and Excise and DVLA are very helpfull.

Good luck

I forgot to say that you have to pay an agreed duty based on valuation +VAT before you can register the car. this is done online and has a name that I forget. Yours might be exempt or part exempt due to age? The certificate/receipt given by Customs is one of the many bits of paperwork required to register the car in the UK.
Once you have all the paperwork including two checks for first registration and road tax, and insurance based on the Vin which you have to get reissued once DVLA issue you with a reg, you send it off to Swansea. You cannot now register a foreign registered car at your local office, and you cannot appear and wait at Swansea. It has to be done by post and can take up to 10 working days. My packet of paperwork sent registered in it's A4 sized envelope cost £6.25.

The last car I imported I needed to trailer from Poole in Dorset to the North of Scotland because of the timescale of doing the paperwork:crazy:

I would still do it again for the right car

Last edited:
Wow, thanks so much for all the input. Aren't the inter tubes wonderful?

There's plenty to chew over here and some good leads to follow.

Fingers crossed we can make it work somehow.

After the early W140s, the 107s are probably my favourite Mercs.

Cheers,

Drew

In terms of desirability id say US cars arent going to be popular here... Those bumpers and lights are just ugly... even most american owners will agree.

However its still a low mileage R107 and those are worth good money.

Would the engine be a lower compression, lower power version?

I would imagine the headlights will need to be changed to pass an MOT - they will dip the wrong way on a US model. So you might as well swap them for UK rectangular ones while you're at it. With that and an EU set of bumpers (the car is of an age where enough of them are around in scrapyards to be able to pick up a set, I'm sure) and the car will look European, to the untrained eye at least. The ride height may be different and give it away.

I would also guess that bumpers and lights are common to the SLC, which isn't greatly loved and increases the chance of finding parts in the scrappies.

Even if the engine has been strangled by US regs it should still have a respectable turn of speed (at least it's not california spec!) and the R107 is more of a cruiser than a sports car in any event.

Shipping costs shouldn't be too bad going west to east as the US is a net importer and so it should be cheaper to get it from the US to the UK as opposed to vice versa, there are generally empty containers heading our way. Obviously you'd need to get the car to an east coast port but that's a good excuse for a road trip, n'est ce pas?

Anyway, it sounds like you could end up with a nice car for not too much cash, so good luck with it.

Cheers,

Gaz

Just had a look at the specs for the '78 model - 180 BHP, 1600 Kg, 3 spd auto. Progress will indeed be more leisurely than sporting..

Cheers,

Gaz

I am in USA at the moment and look regularly at cars for sale on ebay.
If you look at cars of a similar age and condition it will give some idea of the value.
They are certainly rising in price. 10yrs ago i could have bought a good example for about $5000 but not now.

So on the US vs. Euro spec issue, the bumpers and lights are an easy fix.

The bigger (faster, torquier, powerfuller?) question is:

What were the differences between the US-spec M117 4.5 and the Euro-spec?

From what I can gather so far they are:

- Cat
- Exhaust headers
- Exhaust gas recirculation

Beyond that, it's kinda hard to discern from elsewhere on the webs.

Does anyone have any further thoughts?

Would the cat be required for UK MOT on a car of this age?

I'm wondering if there was a difference in ECU, too. There has been mention of the W116 ECUs being sealed and non-adjustable in the US, otherwise over here.

It's not a California-delivered car, so it has a raging 190 Hp vs. 180. It's still somewhat shy of the 222 Hp of the Euro cars.

It'll never be a speed demon (the 600 does that job), but if it was a relatively easy fix to get it breathing again, it might be worth having a play.

Cheers,

Drew

No cat needed on this year. MB started with CATS on some models around 1990 in the uk.

I don't believe the ECU is adjustable.

I drove a 450SL for a summer and it was much much slower than my E320cdi in every way.
The SL is a great comfy cruiser but unless you have a later 500 or 560 with the 4 speed box then I would just forget about performance and enjoy what the car can offer you - timeless style and a feel good factor that few cars can match.

Bumpers are costly, most that are broken are rotten, if you can find a good pair be prepared for at least £200 per bumper.
Headlights are easy to find but pitted reflector lenses are a common problem in our climate.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom