Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

timskemp

MB Enthusiast
Car
W213 E220d
OK - so the wife plants an evil thought in my head ... "You've had that car three years don't you want to change"...

Of course I don't, why would I want anything but an E class.

So today, while picking up a drip stop for the bootlid, I spot a CLK320CDI, Elegance, Tellurite, 2006, 49600 miles. It's got Xenons, changer, sunroof and it's cloth, not leather.

Dealer's asking 18900 "best I can do is knock the 900 off"

offers 4k for mine (2003/03, E270cdi classic, cloth, auto, 135k miles)...

He's taking the mick isn't he? Looking at finished Ebay auctions there's not an 03 E270 sold for under 6k, and of the cheapest ones they're all Cat D, one "needs new gearbox" etc...

Anyone got an idea of realistic numbers I should aim for if I went to do the swap???

Without wishing to insult you, I suspect that he's valuing your car in such a way as to put you off P/X-ing it as he can't sell it on, and will have to pass it on through trade contacts. At £4k he can be fairly confident that he won't lose money on it to a trade buyer or auction sale.

webuyanycar

dotcom

webuyanycar

dotcom

anyanyanyany

Gnngh :D

You can see where they get their business from though - PX of 4K, I guess WBAC.com would tend to come in slightly higher than average PX values but as ever, the only way to get a proper sum for a car is a private sale.

Honestly Tim, dont do the swap. I recal you mention you do a lot of miles. The 211 is nicer inside, better riding, more practical, safer etc and a fair bit lighter on fuel than a V6 CLK CDi. Seems you'll end up paying a disproportionate amount of cash for a not disproportionately better car.

£4k is 210 money (retail) so yours retail must be £6-8k dependent on age/condition. I'd want nearer £5-8k.

To be fair your car does book in GG at £6k mileage adjusted. But still not having leather does make a huge difference especially when it has done a lot of miles, and with the miles it does become not the most desirable car in the market.

Whilst £4k does sound low, I suspect it won't make more than £5k anywhere in the trade and I'd struggle to find a buyer for it myself most of the guys I use wouldn't want it because of the lack of leather and the miles.

On the other hand, if the sellers CLK is a nice clean car in a spec and colour you like then I think his price is pretty good, especially with the £900 off. IMHO if he has got the car you want you should phone him back and ask him for £4,700 for yours, he'll come back with £4,300-£4,500 hopefully and ask him to tax the CLK and I think you and the dealer have both got yourself a fair deal all round.

as with Steve, keep what you've got compared to the CLK you've seen

changing an 03 211 for a 06 209 purely for a lower number on the dashboard is a waste of money AFAIKS.

I bought an 02 plate W203 C270CDi from eBay for £4,000 on the nose. I've spent exactly £1000 on it. This has got me an MOT for the next 13 months (had it done a month early), a full service including gearbox oil. Lots of little bits and two new injectors and 4 new tyres... this was done by my local indi.

So For £5K I've got a car in great condition which should keep me going for a year...

I think a lot of people are put off eBay cars but if you treat it like a normal private purchase you should be fine.

To be fair your car does book in GG at £6k mileage adjusted. But still not having leather does make a huge difference especially when it has done a lot of miles, and with the miles it does become not the most desirable car in the market.

Whilst £4k does sound low, I suspect it won't make more than £5k anywhere in the trade and I'd struggle to find a buyer for it myself most of the guys I use wouldn't want it because of the lack of leather and the miles.

I got it from Tims post that the CLK does without leather too. Again come resale time this will be something used to hammer that cars value down, a luxury coupe minus leather is an even bigger killer than a saloon minus it.

I'd keep the 211 anyday.

I got it from Tims post that the CLK does without leather too. Again come resale time this will be something used to hammer that cars value down, a luxury coupe minus leather is an even bigger killer than a saloon minus it.

I'd keep the 211 anyday.

I don't totally agree, because although this CLK does not have leather, it never came with cloth seats either. The very basic spec had as standard, Artico with cloth inserts which look nice & which look like leather to most anyway. Again, even in basic spec, the CLK has many standard items which are extra on C & E classes. If you do not need 4 doors, you will not be disappointed, go for it.

Edit: I think it is the Avantgarde that came with at least Artico as standard, at least with it you also get 17" alloys etc, that's the one I would go for, not the Elegance.

Russ

Last edited:
Heh - stuff them - it stays.

Gridlock: webuyanycardotcomwebuyanycardotcomwebuyanycardotcom says 4995 putting mechanical down as good and interior as average.

***: Cloth always seems to look better than leather with high miles, and cleans up like new and is easy to repair if damaged - I'm ambivalent to whether a car has leather or not.

Bobbydazzler: I reckon they just want to make money at both ends of the deal. When I bought mine I got 2k off and a good PX, now things are quieter I think they're pushing to make every penny they can.

Heh - stuff them - it stays.

Gridlock: webuyanycardotcomwebuyanycardotcomwebuyanycardotcom says 4995 putting mechanical down as good and interior as average.

They'll use any defect to reduce that figure, they have been notorious come personal inspection time to look for inperfections to reduce the initial figure, knowing you'll probably bite as you've travelled to see them

***: Cloth always seems to look better than leather with high miles, and cleans up like new and is easy to repair if damaged - I'm ambivalent to whether a car has leather or not.

Most dont. However I agree with what you say, I have half leather (the seats that russell described standard AG ones) and they're ace and look the same as when I got the car. The benefits of cloth in the summer are also better.

Bobbydazzler: I reckon they just want to make money at both ends of the deal. When I bought mine I got 2k off and a good PX, now things are quieter I think they're pushing to make every penny they can.

Of course they do, they run a business, whats not good for your wallet is good for theirs and vice versa.

OK - so the wife plants an evil thought in my head ... "You've had that car three years don't you want to change"...

Wow - I don't think Mrs PXW has EVER said anything so nice to me:D

Also certainly up to a few weeks ago dealers were having a hard time getting good stock. Getting them to knock a lot off was not happening.

I agree with the comments. Most people would be looking for leather, or at least MBtex or whatever it is called.

The V6 320 hooked up to 7Gtronic is a peach though. It may not be as economical as the straight 6, but it's not far off.

I do wonder whether you would be disappointed by build quality though. The W203 was not as good as the W210 that I had a few years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom