Valve cover gasket

Discussion in 'Parts, Maintenance & Servicing' started by Braincrank, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Braincrank

Braincrank Active Member

Car:
    Mercedes 200E
    Do I need to use a torque wrench for the nuts when changing the valve cover gasket or can I just do it by 'feel' ? :confused:

2. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    Use of a torque wrench is highly recommended, because it is important that the pressure is applied to the seal equally. If the torque setting are not the same this will cause oil leaks.

Also, not sure about your engine, but typically the torque setting for the cam cover are quite low (8-10NM) and it is therefore very easy to over-tighten, again causing oil leaks.

An experienced mechanic should be able to do this by 'feel', but as said a torque wrench is highly recommended.

1 person likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Braincrank

Braincrank Active Member

Car:
    Mercedes 200E
    Thanks!
    The seal is the reason for the smell of hot oil every now and again (I think ) because there's evidence of oil at the front and back and the side above the manifold of the cam cover.