Valve seal rep, without removing head.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stwat

MB Enthusiast
Car
1989 W126 300 SE
Ey up, now then :) . Im sure ive read a way to replace the valve seals on a 190 M103 engine without removing the head on this site. I've done a search but cant find it. :( Only referances to the said post :confused:

Can anyone help??

Snot my car btw but a 1.8, which seem to have more probs than most :(

Thanks, Stu :)

stwat said:
Ey up, now then :) . Im sure ive read a way to replace the valve seals on a 190 M103 engine without removing the head on this site. I've done a search but cant find it. :( Only referances to the said post :confused:

Can anyone help??

Snot my car btw but a 1.8, which seem to have more probs than most :(

Thanks, Stu :)

Is this what you are looking for! ;)

Cheers,

Will

*edit* I know it is not for exactly the same engine, but the process should be similar.

This is the guide that 230K sent me in a PM a few weeks ago, should be what you're looking for.

Hi

Changed the valve stem oil seals on my 190E about 2 years ago or more although it made little or no difference to oil consumption.
Ayway here goes
Remove HT leads from rocker cover
Remove rocker cover
Remove Spark plugs
Remove oil spray bar
Remove camshaft bearing covers/rockers
The valves are all now visible and the engine can be turned over carefully with a socket on crank (not cam!!!)until the no. 1 piston is at TDC viewed through plug hole.
Now this is where it gets scary
Tap the spring of the 2 valves on no. 1 piston with a hammer and drift to break the seal on the collets.
Use a valve spring compressor to squeeze the spring (the 1 i had was borrowed it was snap on great tool) and be very careful not to drop the collrts remove collets and spring .
Valve will fall slightly onto top of piston remove oil seal and replace with new one lub it before fitting.
Refit vave spring and collets.
Repeat for second valve on no. 1 piston
Turn engine over until no. 2 is at TDC and repeat.
Repeat until all 8 valves are done.
Reassemble using clean oil on bearings etc.

Points to note:
Inlet and Exhaust seals are different.
Do not turn engine over when valve springs are removed.
Tapping the spring to release seal on collets you are using the piston to restrain the valve be sensible.
Search and get the right tool for the spring compression make one is possible.
Make sure the piston you are removing the springs on is at TDC if it is not the valve could fall into the chamber!!!!!!!!
Do not puncture rad with socket on crank bolt.

Good luck

This was over 2 yrs ago

Nice one Robby :) Thats just what i been looking for :cool:

Regards, Stu :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom