Van hire company recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derektrotter

Car
MB
Hi All

We need van hire on a Saturday and were looking at Sixt initially, I've heard certain companies have been known to invent damage and charge extortinate amounts.

Are there any companies known to be more reliable then others? in the above case their own excess waiver insurance (reduces to £150 rather then £1k) is only £10 more then 3rd party sites selling insurance so we'd probably go for that to avoid paying the excess and having to claim back.

Rather pay more and not worry about getting strung afterwards, we're returning the vehicle after closing time (drop keys in a box) so will be taking before and after photos but we're still a bit concerned after seeing all the horror stories of car hire companies, advice from fellow members on companies they've found decent would be appreciated :)

I've used Enterprise several times and the service has been excellent with no problems or attempts to invent damage.

Hi All

We need van hire on a Saturday and were looking at Sixt initially, I've heard certain companies have been known to invent damage and charge extortinate amounts.

Are there any companies known to be more reliable then others? in the above case their own excess waiver insurance (reduces to £150 rather then £1k) is only £10 more then 3rd party sites selling insurance so we'd probably go for that to avoid paying the excess and having to claim back.

Rather pay more and not worry about getting strung afterwards, we're returning the vehicle after closing time (drop keys in a box) so will be taking before and after photos but we're still a bit concerned after seeing all the horror stories of car hire companies, advice from fellow members on companies they've found decent would be appreciated :)
What part of the country are you in ?

Thank you both, unfortunately Enterprise do not seem to offer after hours return (we'll be returning it late on Sat and they are closed).

I'm in Dunstable

I always found Enterprise the best for customer service when I used to rent vehicles every month or two. My local branch also opens Saturday afternoons and Sundays whereas the competitors are only open Saturday morning. You could try calling your local Enterprise branch direct and ask them if there’s any way they can accommodate your request? (If you haven’t done so already.)

Enterprise always great for me as well, nice vans and never any issues

Enterprise do not do late returns (I called and checked) so may just have to stick with Sixt for now, hopefully it will all go well.

Thanks for all the info however it has been useful, I'll know now to use Enterprise whenever possible :)

Try and find a local van hire place, the vans might me 3 or 4 year old as opposed to brand new but they tend to be keener on the customer service front as well as the price - I recently needed a Luton van for a couple of days; Enterprise were £220 a day for brand new, my local place was £90 for a 2017 one and they were no bother when I handed it back.

Last time I hired, the day wasn't important, so I rang Enterprise and asked what's the cheapest day to hire a van. Wednesday, I got a Transit sized van for £49.

Surely Robin Reliant?
I’ll get me coat. :doh:

Now how did you know I owned a Reliant Supervan (Robins were a later version) for 6 months exactly like the Trotters except for colour. Bought it at 16 to learn to drive in. With a motorcycle licence you could literally get and and drive it away with no L plates or accompaniment. I passed my test 1st time without ever having a lesson, then sold the Van. It did it's job and surprisingly they held their value very well so it was cheap way to learn to drive.

Now how did you know I owned a Reliant Supervan (Robins were a later version) for 6 months exactly like the Trotters except for colour. Bought it at 16 to learn to drive in. With a motorcycle licence you could literally get and and drive it away with no L plates or accompaniment. I passed my test 1st time without ever having a lesson, then sold the Van. It did it's job and surprisingly they held their value very well so it was cheap way to learn to drive.
How did you reverse it around corners though?

My post was more in relation to the OP’s username. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom