VANDALISED GATSOS or MOTORIST'S SELF-DEFENSE?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Death to the speed camera, long live the new motorist (anyone who guessed what movie i nicked and changed that from gets a cookie)

Excellent! any camera's destroyed is a good thing in my book

KillerHERTZ said:
Excellent! any camera's destroyed is a good thing in my book
But who will pay for the replacement? The likes of you, me and the other innocent motorists. So actually the people who go around destroying them are in fact taking money out of your pocket. I dont like speed cameras but I am afraid that they are here to stay, nothing anyone does is going to change that fact.

When King Krankenhoffen comes to power I decree that after double-taxing silver cars I will also pledge to tax every council that has a speed camera which is not in a sensible place (outside schools, etc).

Plus, any money made from these scameras will go towards subsidising the cost of re-spraying of silver cars.

King Krankenhoffen.

I feel a regal assassination plot being hatched as we speak,
The Silver Queen from Yorkshire shall reign victorious

tee hee make the silver car drivers pay, come to think of it make anyone who has a silver car in their avatar pay as well :)

Looking at the pics of the destroyed cameras it's amazing how many of them are at junctions etc. Some but certainly not all of them were revenue gatherers but I'd say a fair few of those were justified.

As for destroying them what does it prove and as Ian says who will pay for the replacements?

Andy

GATSO's Outside towns

No great problem with GATSO's in towns to police 30 limits, but the ones outside are, as far as I can see, mostly there just to earn money. Kill 'em all!

And yes I know what you say is very true Ian, but it has been pointed out (by Captain Gatso I think), that if nearly all the Speed Cameras were destroyed in a the space of a week or two at a cost to the country of many millions of pounds, the Government would have to wake up and take the issue seriously.

I'm with Canada, they've got rid of the things and road deaths went down!

Andy

Last edited:
I'm with the death to GATSO's campaign, regardless of the price we have to pay, does anyone think we would notice the difference in our taxes if the cameras were not destroyed.
Keep it up and someone might take notice!!

Dave

vito113 said:
No great problem with GATSO's in towns to police 30 limits, but the ones outside are, as far as I can see, mostly there just to earn money. Kill 'em all!

And yes I know what you say is very true Ian, but it has been pointed out (by Captain Gatso I think), that if nearly all the Speed Cameras were destroyed in a the space of a week or two at a cost to the country of many millions of pounds, the Government would have to wake up and take the issue seriously.

I'm with Canada, they've got rid of the things and road deaths went down!

Andy

andy_k said:
tee hee make the silver car drivers pay, come to think of it make anyone who has a silver car in their avatar pay as well :)
[homer] DOH [/homer]

King Krankenhoffen ?
Is he related to General Von Klinckerhoffen ? I've seen HIM on Telly !!

I see this 'Silver' thing is going to run and run.......

lotusmark2 said:
I feel a regal assassination plot being hatched as we speak,
The Silver Queen from Yorkshire shall reign victorious
Oh yes she will indeed, and has a significant and loyal army of support beneath her:D Dissentors will be firmly dealt with:eek: and made to see the error of their ways. Aluminium foil can be very painful:D :bannana: but if needs must.....

And to keep On Topic for a change - I don't approve of vandalism as it does simply add to our tax burden, but equally, I don't like these GATSO's when they are in places that give the motorist little chance. I agree that they should be outside schools etc rather than open roads. Having said that, I know of a few in London that are always flashing, the drivers totally ignore them. Is that because they never have film in them and the drivers know this or they are just willing to pay the fine?

Last edited:
pammy said:
Having said that, I know of a few in London that are always flashing, the drivers totally ignore them. Is that because they never have film in them and the drivers know this or they are just willing to pay the fine?

They are being refitted with digital cameras and hence won't need film, they'll be a direct link and the images downloaded automatically.

What really bugs me is where a deliberate attempt is made to hide cameras behind road signs... a classic example is the speed Gatso on the Hayes by-pass in NW London close to Jn3 on the M4 where it is immediately behind a no stopping sign :rolleyes:

S.

Steve_Perry said:
They are being refitted with digital cameras and hence won't need film, they'll be a direct link and the images downloaded automatically.

What really bugs me is where a deliberate attempt is made to hide cameras behind road signs... a classic example is the speed Gatso on the Hayes by-pass in NW London close to Jn3 on the M4 where it is immediately behind a no stopping sign :rolleyes:

S.
I understand about the digicam bit, but I saw this two years ago - As for hiding them - You know my views on speeding and paying the penalty, but I don't agree with hiding GATSO's in this way - not least it's downright dangerous. People slam their brakes on when they suddenly see one, at least if you see it approaching you can slow down gradually and avoid rear end shunts which are always a nightmare to sort out on insurance - let alone possible injuries.

There are a couple I go through on my way into Leeds each morning. One they change the direction of periodically - but it's easy to tell which way it's pointing. The other is on a large dual carriageway going downhill and very visible. I've never seen it flash as it does slow traffic down which it needs to as there are traffic lights at the bottom of the hill. The other again is clearly visible and I've only seen it go once.

Otherwise, we're quite lucky, just have the usual lumps in the road and stickyout pavements to slow drivers down:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom