Vanity mirror light W211

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David404

Car
GLE350d (W166)
Hi Folks

Just fixed the vanity mirror light on my W211, seems like a common problem but didn't see any posts with pictures so thought I'd post.

First try - replace bulb, always start with the obvious. But in tjis case still no go.

Get multimmeter and chack voitage at bulb terminals, yes there is 12V there, but I've been caught with this before. You can have issues where theres 12V present but due to a high resistance somewhere in the circult not enough current to power the device.

Chack/clean contacts on the sun visor clip. Light only works when the sun visor is clipped home. Still no go.

So next suspect is the micro- switch on the flap that covers the mirror. I can hear the switch clicking but the light dosent work.

Need to price the assembly out of the sun visor housing, but where are the clips. Been here before, very simple job but if you don't know where the clips are very easy to break stuff.

Clips are at the top and bottom, see image below.

Final proof that this is indeed the problem is to short the 2 connectors togather, light comes on.

In my case I got lucky issues seems to have been a slightly dirty connection on one push on terminal.

Did have some issues refitting, the housing seems to be very fussy about being refitted in exactly the right place, had to have a couple of go's at refitting before it worked refitted into the sun visor.

Attachments

• WP_20160402_15_13_24_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160402_15_13_24_Pro.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 22
  • WP_20160402_15_15_55_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160402_15_15_55_Pro.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 21

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom