Vans

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
A new business opportunity aka an opportunity to squander more money has turned up and we need a van. Sort of Transit sized, cheap £2-3k, comfortable, economical and reliable and not riddled with rust.

I know nothing about vans and I won't be driving it.

Possibly look for one that could be used to recover an Allard??:D

Possibly look for one that could be used to recover an Allard??:D

Thank you.

I am hoping after two new engines, two re-built gearboxes, brake master cylinder and now propshaft bearing I shan't be needing recovery, other than that provided by the Priory.

£3k will buy you a decent mileage (100k) facelift Vivaro 1.9 CDTi, although the 2.5 CDTi suits the van a lot better, but is rarer.

The 1.9 does 40mpg very easily on a run whereas the 2.5 is mid thirties.

The pre-facelift six speed box wasn't the strongest but it was beefed up in late 2005, so anything after that should be fine; a good indicator is if the fuel gauge is digital, it'll be the later version. Only other thing to check is the MAF, make sure you can 'red line' it and don't fall for the old chestnut 'it's got a limiter in the van to stop people thrashing it' trick. If it has gone, I've got a few scattered about the place somewhere that you can have.

The Vivaro/Trafic/Primastar vans are our best sellers by a country mile; good on diesel and the best van in its class to drive.

If you need anymore info on any other van, don't be afraid to ask.

Well you could have purchased a Vauxhall Vivaro 2.0DTi on a 2008 plate with 70k on the clock in fair nick down at BCA Blackbushe today for £2,650+ vat

SPX;1760918 If you need anymore info on any other van said:
Hi Lee
I've got a new venture in high end hand made kitchens, and country type furniture, we can't use our current fleet as internally its mostly covered in wood stain and preservatives so I'm planning on lease purchasing some additional vans over 3 years.
Currently there are some great deals on Iveco Lutons and incredibly well equipped Citroen Relays...any thoughts
Steve

Hi Lee
I've got a new venture in high end hand made kitchens, and country type furniture, we can't use our current fleet as internally its mostly covered in wood stain and preservatives so I'm planning on lease purchasing some additional vans over 3 years.
Currently there are some great deals on Iveco Lutons and incredibly well equipped Citroen Relays...any thoughts
Steve

You won't go far wrong with the Iveco, although they aren't as nice to drive as the Citroen. But if its not you driving, that won't matter.

Good luck in your new venture pal, let me know how it goes.

You won't go far wrong with the Iveco, although they aren't as nice to drive as the Citroen. But if its not you driving, that won't matter.

Good luck in your new venture pal, let me know how it goes.

Thanks Lee
You've hit the nail on the head, because the Citroens got sat nav, Bluetooth, aircon, electric pack and those of us who are "free" are planning on doing some deliveries whilst also doing the day job, the comfort and comms pack are very attractive.
The head says Iveco whilst the heart opines Citroen.

Thanks Lee
You've hit the nail on the head, because the Citroens got sat nav, Bluetooth, aircon, electric pack and those of us who are "free" are planning on doing some deliveries whilst also doing the day job, the comfort and comms pack are very attractive.
The head says Iveco whilst the heart opines Citroen.

Buy one Citroen for yourself and let the others make do with the Ivecos, that's the joy of being your own boss!

Buy one Citroen for yourself and let the others make do with the Ivecos, that's the joy of being your own boss!
Great idea, my sons will love it!

A new business opportunity aka an opportunity to squander more money has turned up and we need a van. Sort of Transit sized, cheap £2-3k, comfortable, economical and reliable and not riddled with rust.

I know nothing about vans and I won't be driving it.

Charles, as a discerning collector of classic cars, a renowned oenophile and francophile, I am astounded you would consider anything other than a Citroen H!

Foto-RWVJGYXE.jpg

Sadly, they come in slightly more than your stated budget.

Sorry!

I'd go for a one/two owner, short/mid wheel based Sprinter.

Be fussy and patient and you'll find some nice vans around.
Even an old 310D would do. Plenty of poke and nice and smooth.
Better economy is from the CDI's and the 2.2 in my LWB sprinter was good enough to see me through almost 100k miles without much trouble at all.

At the end of the day, if you buy a MB, at least you'll have this forum to help you with anything that might go wrong.

If you spot something in my area and want me to go and have a look at it before you make a long journey, just let me know. I have a few spares knocking about the place too.

At first blush, this van makes plenty of appeal. LINK.

One previous owner, never painted (DM will have to go see it) and a really good pointer when buying used - four Michelin tyres. I always take a set of premium tyres by the present owner as a very positive sign that it has been looked after (within reason) regardless of cost.

Oh, and with that roof rack, we could use it for a MBClub Carnival/May Queen type of thing. :D

Last edited:
The little Berlingo makes lots of sense. There was a German-registered Berlingo parked near me with an orange "Remove this car within 7 days" sticker on it. I suspect the owner is away and won't be best-pleased when he comes back to find his van has been crushed by Brighton Council

Or just buy a trailer. And tow it with whatever you have available

A friend has a rusty Vito for £200 if you want a smoker

If you need someone for bespoke stainless worktops and other items let me know.

I want a bespoke stainless steel worktop...

Nick Froome

Last edited:
Much as I am a big Mercedes fan , I've driven lots of vans over the years for various employers and Merc vans do have their shortcomings .

Merc vans all rust in the end , perhaps prematurely . I've seen lots of rusty Sprinters , and a few rusty Vitos now .

One of my previous employers had a fleet of Sprinters ( the earlier version with the long gear lever coming out of the floor , they were all fairly new on lease at the time but some were showing rust when they went away at 3 years old ! ) . They drove well enough and were reliable enough . One comment I have heard from our vehicle workshops is that the handbrake mechanisms can be poor , due to seizing up , and need everything to replace to get them through an MOT .

I understand there are other 'badge engineered' versions such as the VW Crafter and at least one other .

A friend bought a new Vito , which has been trouble free , I think it is now about 5 years old - he bought it as a personal vehicle as he plays in a band and uses it to lug all the band gear around . Although a Vito is a bit smaller , I don't know if one would be big enough for your needs , Charles ? There is a LWB one .

The best van I ever drove , although impractical for all but the very wealthy , or owners of petrol companies , was a VW LT35 , which had this wonderful six cylinder PETROL engine - it just burbled along the road from one petrol station to the next , sounded wonderful , was a dream to drive , never gave a moment's trouble . I was provided with it by VW when I did roadshows around their UK dealer network , and of the many vans I drove it was by far the best engineered and screwed together . With the fuel it drank , no normal person could afford to run one though .

Charles, as a discerning collector of classic cars, a renowned oenophile and francophile, I am astounded you would consider anything other than a Citroen H!

Foto-RWVJGYXE.jpg

Sadly, they come in slightly more than your stated budget.

Sorry!

I'm gutted.

The person who would have to drive it, less so. I mean, what could be a better vehicle for 600 mile round trips hauling a load of heavy antiques?

Nick mentions a trailer which is probably the way we go - we can get a decent one really quite cheaply, so we'll probably go that route in the short term. No point in owning a van for one or two trips a month if we can own a trailer for less than the cost of hiring a van for 4 days.

Thank you.

I am hoping after two new engines, two re-built gearboxes, brake master cylinder and now propshaft bearing I shan't be needing recovery, other than that provided by the Priory.

Sorry Charles!

Did not intend to open old wounds :D I am sure when the Allard is fully fettled all the trials and tribulations you have suffered will be left behind as you drive through the lanes of Buckinghamshire and enjoy the roar of the exhausts:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom