Vans

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vinpetrol

Car
W906 313 manual
Hi All

I'm looking for some help on potential purchase of a sprinter. I'm looking for a used van and need some info on the best engines and what to steer clear off.
Potentially a 313 or 316 mwb high roof .
Which forum would be best to post my query in ?

Cheers

Vin

Welcome to the forum Vin, unfortunately I don't know anything about vans, but I'm sure others do!:)

In 'General' on this forum, I would say. There is a dedicated UK forum for Sprinters but no idea how good it is.

Thanks

I meant thread not forum ! I will post in general and see how I get on !

Vin

I know this is meant to be a Merc forum , but IMHO the VW Crafter clone is better made , at least they don't seem to rust so badly .

What year of van are you looking at?

Mechanically they are good vans but the bodywork is a major weak point on these especially the non-metalic ones. Main reason why I got rid of my 2009 sprinter.

IMO the first gen sprinters were much better built than the newer shape sprinter.

Last edited:
I know this is meant to be a Merc forum , but IMHO the VW Crafter clone is better made , at least they don't seem to rust so badly .

They both rust just as bad,it is made in the same factory after all. I have seen quite a lot of rusty Crafter vans.:crazy:

Don't know about them rusting but I passed a brand spanking VW Crafter today broken, down blocking the road. With a very unamused looking driver.

Sent from my knackered S4, so im Struggling to read owt, using MBClub UK

I know I started this thread a while ago but I'm now needing to buy van ASAP so any help will be much appreciated.
I'm looking at 2012 313 Sprinters. Under 80k mileage.
Any common faults to look for?
Can you remap for more power easily enough?

Cheers Vin

I know this may not be a great deal of help to you but as someone who has run vans in my business since 1975 I will never buy another secondhand van again. I never buy new cars but always buy new vans.
If you plan to keep it long term have a serious look at buying a nearly new one rather than brand new.
My reasoning has evolved from watching how most van owners who are not owner drivers actually drive.
If you have a good long term source of work it may make sense.

My sons got the transit custom I've had t4 and t5 Vw ,Citroen relay. Now a transit t350 mwb , The sprinter and v,w t5 seem to have lost the ground to the van envy of the transit custom you will notice this when you visit the trade supplier counters and greggs . They are now God second hand ones

My sons got the transit custom I've had t4 and t5 Vw ,Citroen relay. Now a transit t350 mwb , The sprinter and v,w t5 seem to have lost the ground to the van envy of the transit custom you will notice this when you visit the trade supplier counters and greggs . They are now God second hand ones

I have a transit t350 Mwb at the moment and it's been the worst van I've ever had . It is my fifth one!
Hence trying Merc
I know sometimes it's the luck of the draw but this ones pushed me over the limit.

Vince

I have a transit t350 Mwb at the moment and it's been the worst van I've ever had . It is my fifth one!
Hence trying Merc
I know sometimes it's the luck of the draw but this ones pushed me over the limit.

Vince

My two worst vans were the Ford Transit it failed it's first MOT and every one after that. A Citroen Relay which really fell to pieces.
I currently run Renault Trafic vans as my first Trafic did 180K without a hitch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom