Variable Speed Limit Cameras - M1 Nottingham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scott.phipps

Car
audi
Hello All,

I wondered if anyone could shed any light on the issue of the variable speed limit cameras near Nottingham on the M1?

I regularly travel along this stretch of motorway with a work collegue early in the morning, around 0500hrs. The variable speed limit signs are rarely illuminated.

This morning on one of the down hill stretches my colleagues speed got up to around 85mph and it definitely triggered the camera. We know this because it illuminated the vehicle in which we were travelling. As usual the variable speed limit signs were not lit.

I wondered if anyone could tell me if he can expect a ticket through the post or if the cameras are inactive if the variable speed limit signs are not lit.

Any help anyone could offer on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Scott

If they're anything like the ones on he M25 Western section which are commonly believed to be set to trigger at 79MPH when no reduced speed is displayed on the gantries, then it's likely it did go off.

Whether that turns into a NIP or not is in the laps of the gods (or a pen-pusher somewhere in the Notts Constabulary).

Good luck.

Welcome to the forum BTW.:thumb:

I remember reading that they were set at around 85mph so I always make sure I'm going somewhere close to the speed limit when driving through that section, that said I've been through one when having made a frustrating overtake (3rd lane hogger!) may have got to around 85ish but I've yet to have anything come through and that was over 2 weeks ago. I know some people who've been through at stupid speeds and haven't had anything come through so don't lose any sleep over it.

I understood that they were only active when the variable limit was on. Could easily have changed of course!

I think you friend is in for a ticket .. but it beggs the question why speed when you know there is a potential of getting cought by a camera.. or why speed at all?

Last edited:
I don't think the Variable Cameras light up the car, as they use IR technology. 'Lighting up' a car is potentially dangerous due to blinding the driver.

Are you sure you didn't just drive under a Motorway light that happened to be near this camera?

I seem to remember that on another thread someone posted a reply from the Highway Agency regarding the M25 saying that when no variable speed limit is displayed, the cameras do not monitor speed (or at least, no fines are issued for speeding).

I don't think the Variable Cameras light up the car, as they use IR technology. 'Lighting up' a car is potentially dangerous due to blinding the driver.

Are you sure you didn't just drive under a Motorway light that happened to be near this camera?

It is a HADECS 2 set up and if you look here, the spec shows that they do include a flash unit. I've certainly seen the ones on the M1 near Dunstable flash when I've been on the opposite carriageway.

I seem to remember that on another thread someone posted a reply from the Highway Agency regarding the M25 saying that when no variable speed limit is displayed, the cameras do not monitor speed (or at least, no fines are issued for speeding).

The consultation for this scheme and the one on the bottom of the M1 both stated that although the primary purpose of the cameras was to support the management of the controlled motorway (i.e when a variable limit or lane closure was in force) they would also be used to enforce mandatory limits including the NSL.

Last edited:
I go through these 3 times a week, in each direction, from jn28 to jn26, usually well in excess of 70, and have done since their installation. Never had a ticket. One day, I'll get caught out.

I dont speed when the variable speed limit is actually turned on, but only about a third of the gantrys actually have cameras.

I think your 'colleague' will be fine'

I think you friend is in for a ticket .. but it beggs the question why speed when you know there is a potential of getting cought by a camera.. or why speed at all?

Who post such an obviously pious and antagonistic statement? It's not as if exceeding the motorway speed limit is the same as drink driving.

I to have seen the ones around Luton/Dunstable flash in the opposite carriageway.

It's also very noticeable that most people stick to the speed limit in those areas, even when the "variables" are not on.

davidjpowell said:
Who post such an obviously pious and antagonistic statement? It's not as if exceeding the motorway speed limit is the same as drink driving.

True but if you do see a camera that is able to record speed I wouldn't contemplate speeding through it. Risk vs reward and all that.

A similar analogy is overtaking a police car. It's going 70mph. Would you try and pass it?

I wouldn't take the chance

I think you will find that - right or wrong - speeding and parking offences are generally treated as socially acceptable offences.

The test is simple: if someone late to a meeting with you says - sorry but I was stopped by police for speeding on the way here, or sorry but my car was clamped, would it stop you from doing business with them?

Because they aren't offences. They don't really form a criminal record. They are infractions or misdemeanours

Another words, they're just a waste of everyones time.

About time the whole thing was overhauled to come in line with the 21st century. You have to realise what the technology was like when these rules were set "back in the days". :mad:

True but if you do see a camera that is able to record speed I wouldn't contemplate speeding through it. Risk vs reward and all that.

A similar analogy is overtaking a police car. It's going 70mph. Would you try and pass it?

I wouldn't take the chance

I have on these camera's and have never seen them flash. I do prefer not to top 80 though, just in case.

I do have a story about ovetaking a Police Car at a tad above the speed limit. Not my greatest moment....

The yellow average speed cameras are front-facing so don't use visible flash. But the gantry-mounted variable speed limit ones (which take a picture of the rear of the vehicle) do.

As mentioned, they can allegedly be used to enforce the normal 70 limit as well as lower limits when displayed. I don't know about the M1, but I have never personally seen one flash on the M25 (which I drive on regularly) when the normal 70 limit is in force. So there is no way IMHO that those are set to 79 mph!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom