Variation in tyre width - Vredestein - Vredestein

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55K

Car
W211 E55 AMG
Had some new Vredestein Vorti fitted recently. Replaced Vredestein Sessanta.

Both 265/35/18

Surprised at the difference in width - although these were unmounted. Didn't get a shot of them mounted side by side

I guess when they are both fitted they are of a more similar width?!

I'd be surprised if they did get much closer - and I very much doubt to that extent highlighted in the photo.

I understand that manufacturers size their tyres but when compared to others - the same size isn't actually the same across the board at all.

Bizarre two different tyres from the same manufacturer are so different given they are the same size...

My 255 Vorti's are definitely wider then my old Sessanta's. Good thing IMO.

That looks a massive difference. My last 2 sets of tyres on my E55 have been sessanta's. I have just had a new set of tyres delivered today for my new larger 19" wheels and fancied a change so have gone for Goodyear asymmetric 2's. The rears look massive, they are 275/30/19's but actually measure 290mm wide! I hope they're going to fit OK without failing the arches!? Just goes to show how different they can be.

How are people finding the Vorti's compared to the Sessanta's?

So, I messaged Vredestein about this & shared the photo above...

Here's their response (verbatim)
"This difference in width is normal. If you compare these tyre when they are mounted, the overall width is the same.
Because of a higher grip rating the tread of the Vredestein Ultrac Vorti is wider than the tread of the Vredestein Ultra Sessanta, witch better reflects its characteristics. "

I don't think I understand the response!

The difference is normal, but when mounted they are the same overall, but one is wider than the other because it reflects its characteristics.

In other words...

Yer, but no, but yer, but no but yer.

What's Meg got to do with all this anyway?

Have a look on the Vredenstein website and try to find any mounted specs, this'll give an accurate measure of the measured size when fitted on a particular rim width.
But the most I have seen is approx 10mm variation, that size different looks huge!

Technical Data

page 69

Look at the variation in fitted width depending upon rim size, your old tyres could have taken a "set" from wider rims, the new tyres may well end up the same after a few thousand miles.

How are people finding the Vorti's compared to the Sessanta's?

I've had sessanta's on a different car before so can't make a fair comparison I'm affraid.

With the Vorti's my CLK55 generally only ever fails to put down 100% of its power now only if I absolutely give it death round a bend or in the wet in 1st/2nd. Overall I'm very pleased.

So, I messaged Vredestein about this & shared the photo above...

Here's their response (verbatim)
"This difference in width is normal. If you compare these tyre when they are mounted, the overall width is the same.
Because of a higher grip rating the tread of the Vredestein Ultrac Vorti is wider than the tread of the Vredestein Ultra Sessanta, witch better reflects its characteristics. "

I don't think I understand the response!

The wider tyre has a higher grip rating due to having a wider tread section.

When mounted, the wheel rim makes the bead move out to the same point, so the overall tyre width is the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom