Varifocal spectacles ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LTD

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Polo GTi (and a travel pass for the train and subway)
Just got my eyes tested and it was suggested that I should look into getting varifocal lenses. My reading distance has altered between tests, long distance seems to be OK but I am astigmatic.

Do we have anybody here with some advice before I go shopping ???

Everyone I know that has been advised to have varifocals doesn't like them.

If you are only astigmatic and can cope with close reading work, why bother with varifocal lenses.

varifocals are excellent but they take a bit of getting used to harder to drive with them as you have to turn your head instead of looking through the sides of the glasses

I had no problems with varifocals ... have been wearing them for 4 or 5 years now. And yes, I got them from Specsavers.

Presumably you already wear glasses?

Everyone I know that has been advised to have varifocals doesn't like them.

If you are only astigmatic and can cope with close reading work, why bother with varifocal lenses.

I need them for close reading.

The astigmatism means I need to wear glasses all the time and I really don't want two different pairs.

Last edited:
I had no problems with varifocals ... have been wearing them for 4 or 5 years now. And yes, I got them from Specsavers.

Presumably you already wear glasses?

Yes, been wearing for 6 years now but my prescription change has suggested I consider them as near-field is altering yet distance is remaining quite strong.

I've been attending the same opticians for every test. Extremely well regarded.

If your long distance is ok just get some reading glasses. I bought a pair of varifocalx a couple of years back and hate then so just use bifocals. Is it possible to have laser treatment, I know a couple of lads that've had it done and they are really pleased

I started of wearing vari-focal contact lenses. Loved them! No problems reading, driving, VDU work, excellent devices. Unfortunately my eyes eventually rejected the foreign body and I could no longer tolerate them.
Now I wear vari-focal glasses and have to say I've never had any issues with driving or reading books etc...
But,,
Trying to read serial numbers or dial readings that are low down can be a real pain in the neck, literally! I resorted to having a pair of close work glasses made.
Oh, going down stairs can be erm, disconcerting occasionally..

I've had varifocals on my last 2 visits to specsavers and I don't really get on with them.
Generally my reading is ok without assistance although I have bought a cheap pair of prescription reading glasses (glassesdirect.co.uk) for realy close up work.
For distanc I prefer a cheap pair of prescription glasses bought from another on-line outlet.
The expensive varifocals usually dont get worn.

Do your current glasses suit the reading requirement, if so, have new distance glasses and keep the current ones for close up reading.
It depends on whether your prescription is becoming longer or shorter sighted.

Just got my eyes tested and it was suggested that I should look into getting varifocal lenses. My reading distance has altered between tests, long distance seems to be OK but I am astigmatic.

Do we have anybody here with some advice before I go shopping ???

Sounds the same as me. I started wearing varifocals about 8 years ago. Yes they do take a bit of time getting used to but once you do get used to them they are no problem in my opinion.

I would say go for it.

Fook it.

I'm off to get a labrador and a stick.

Just go and get some varifocals, I have had them for years, no problems with driving, shooting or reading. Watch Specsavers, I found them to be unreliable.

Reading glasses are fine, so long as you always have them to hand and are in a postion to swap over to them as you need them. Not usually an option when driving - I found things like the instrument panel, audio controls, etc. tricky to read (particularly in low light) as I became long-sighted.

Varifocals aren't perfect - reading anything high up (mounted on a wall for example) can certainly be tricky. But they're the best compromise for me.

Watch Specsavers, I found them to be unreliable.
As with any franchise it depends on the staff at your local branch. They have good kit and I've not had any problems with them myself (having been to independent opticians for the previous 35+ years).

I still struggle with varifocals after more than a year, I keep a set of long distance glasses in the car if I have a a journey more than 20 mins I typically swap and put them on. I find it difficult still to transition from road ahead to moving my head to check mirrors/instruments, I find I get nauseous similar to walking down stairs or turning quickly. As such I find when I have any journey with likely speed greater than 30 mph I swap to a more comfortable set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom