Various kitchen questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We had a German Hacker kitchen with granite fitted. After a year it still wows when I look at it. Especially my built in AEG bean to cup coffee machine. :D

Howdens also do a coloured perspex splashback. I've only used it once so far (see photo earlier in thread), but was impressed by the finish. If it holds up (and I can't see why it should not), I'll use it again.

Worked out same cost as tiles - more expensive material, cheaper labour. Certainly not expensive - as my clients would not have spent any more money than needed on an office kitchen.

Howdens also do a coloured perspex splashback. I've only used it once so far (see photo earlier in thread), but was impressed by the finish. If it holds up (and I can't see why it should not),

Heat?

Could be an issue - but not fortunately in an office kitchen with no hob/oven. I think you'd have to make a feature stainless steel splashback to hob areas or similar.

Could be an issue - but not fortunately in an office kitchen with no hob/oven. I think you'd have to make a feature stainless steel splashback to hob areas or similar.

An issue with Corian worktops is heat damage.

Stainless steel is a nice touch for worktops.

I had them too! But Howdens were using them at the time to try to boost trade. One of my bro-in-laws got a sat-nav for Christmas that year!
edit
wasn't implying that you were getting promotional goodies - just thought you said the developer had chosen Howdens

Yes developer chose it but we buy and then bill him.
No offence taken by the way

An issue with Corian worktops is heat damage.

Stainless steel is a nice touch for worktops.

Stainless steel is a maintenance nightmare. You have to rub them in baby oil??? If they are not immaculately clean look terrible

Just picked up on this thread and as a retired kitchen manufacturer and product designer I would make the following comments:-
1. Kitchens are boxes with doors on.
2 with very rare exceptions the boxes are constructed from melamine faced chipboard.. ALL of them... regardless of manufacturer. Thickness of board is not important merely density.
3. Doors are generally MDF shrink wrapped vinyl or lacquered (more expensive) goes for high gloss and timber effect also includes veneers.
4. Solid timber doors are less popular unless it is a traditional or shabby chic effect you are after.
6.Most important aspect is the ironmongery not handles but drawer systems and pullout mechanisms. These can and do vary tremendously in price and quality.
7. Worktops take the greatest hammering and have the greatest variations in material and durability. If you want durability and style you will have to pay top dollar.
Corian often costs the same as the furniture content, good quality solid timber will be similar with solid granite coming in a good third. All other variants of solid surfaces will be similarly costly. Least expensive is naturally Laminate.
Rule of thumb. As with motor cars, have the best you can afford, but do not expect the quality of even a ten year old Mercedes in a cheap kitchen.

Just my thoughts others will no doubt disagree.

Stainless steel is a maintenance nightmare. You have to rub them in baby oil??? If they are not immaculately clean look terrible

You are joking. Brushed stainless is a very durable product and used in commercial kitchens the World over.

I think brushed ss can look a bit commercial, but, if used thoughtfully, can be very practical and look good.

I think brushed ss can look a bit commercial, but, if used thoughtfully, can be very practical and look good.

IMHO, it looks good.
gilio02.jpg

Homebase quote in, a rather amusing £14k +fitting. This was reduced to £7k in the sale. Still far too much IMHO. Howdens next.

We noticed Howdens premium offering, which was the same as the Homebase offering we chose, came in a little over Homebase - so I would be expecting just over your eventual Homebase quote.

Just seen this thread, what are you're thoughts on B&Q cookie and lewis range? They are having a sale on at the moment.

I had a Homebase kitchen fitted a year ago now and after much procrastination from me it turned out much better than I thought. For the money it's better quality materials than Howden and BnQ and just far superior than IKEA could offer in that price bracket. Wikes was just cheap and nasty, end of. Only other range I liked (apart from custom local outfitters) was Magnet, but they weren't really interested in sub £30k installs and I noticed they often used exactly the same hardware but at more than 2x the price as Homebase. As usual BnQ were the worst for advice so never really pursued them much -although I bought my sink tap from them (Cooke and Lewis) which fell apart after 48h due to quite an obvious design flaw -which they wouldn't hear anything of. BnQ are as bad as Maplins and Halfords, it's just cringe worthy. At least a Homebase guy will admit to not knowing the answer. I'm not sure I trust Ikea much these days, last time I paid 4 figures for a leather sofa from them and it's been nothing but trouble and warranty claims from day one. Think I'll stick to photo frames, tea lights and cheap chipboard throwaway stuff from them as that seems to be what they do best. I would never consider them for fitted furniture. Used to think their decent furniture was good but obviously not.

...It bugs me as it's quite obvious that the majority of this stuff ultimately comes from a very few manufacturers, but it's each end retailer that specifies the end quality. You really have to shop around and keep your eyes open, the quality and economy seems to change throughout the year between the retailers for similar products.

One thing which bugged me about my local Howdens is that they really won't talk much outside the trade market. I eventually got 3 pine doors from them last year, but they would only do it on my joiners trade account. They won't entertain much conversation unless you're vat registered. I also had to return 2 out of the 3 doors to them as they were buggered and all de-laminated once we took the shrink wrap off.

Last edited:
Homebase quote in, a rather amusing £14k +fitting. This was reduced to £7k in the sale. Still far too much IMHO. Howdens next.

The Howdens quote after 60-70% discount is £8k. I had been expecting ~£3k, so I wont be going with them. My carpenter is arranging some other quotes, so we'll see.

It seems that the kitchen market is full of chancers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom