Varying X500 engine outputs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dsolds

Car
Range Rover Vogue SE
Hi
Just done a quick trawl through various threads here but so far no joy. The question (I hope) is relatively simple.

Whilst in the stealers the other day waiting for the Nav unit to be replaced I was reading the various literatures on the MB models and saw some large differences in engine outputs depending on which model car I was looking at.

I have an E500 which claims around 300BHP yet the (apparently) same engine in say, the GL500 gives 388BHP. The ML500 was quoted at something different again.

So, are these the same basic engine with different management modules, or are they actually different engines? More to the point, could I fit a different management unit to my E500 to get the higher output?

I know it's academic really since 300BHP is plenty enough for an E but it made me curious enough to ask.

Cheers

Dom

The current versions of those vehicles all show the same specs - which is unusal, I think - 4x4 are often lower power then car equivalents.

You're probably aware that many manufacturers use the same engine in different states of tune depending on the application. E280CDi and E320CDi for example both use the same V6 3.0L engine, for examples. The difference may be in different size or geometry turbo chargers or it might just be down to a different map in the engine ECU.

In a petrol engine, there could be quite a few changes - maybe even the cams are different, perhaps different injectors and certainly the engine map.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom