VAT query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldguy57

MB Enthusiast
Car
Now various and sundry
Any experts on VAT here? Want to buy a couple of model kits from Netherlands second hand. These were originally exported from the UK and VAT paid by the purchaser. Will I have to pay VAT on bringing these back into the UK? The reason I ask is that the VAT element will approach £800 making the purchase only marginally economic. Trawled HMRC site but couldn't find info exactly corresponding to my circs and reply from them will take 15 days by which time the seller will have gone elsewhere. I know import duty wont apply and Vat will be added to carriage charges as well!

bringing goods from within EU is tax free, unless you are company (who sold the kit) is vat registered then vat is payable.

when buying from private person who is not vat registered it is assumed a private sale and hence does not attract VAT even if u are vat registered.

however if u are vat registered and sell on i expect if not completed u need to charge vat. however once you car is completed it could be exempt as long as it is not registered in the company.

i would suggest buying them as private entity the VAT will not come into it being sold as is or completed.

I can't answer the VAT question but I'm fascinated by what model kits they are

I can't answer the VAT question but I'm fascinated by what model kits they are

Thanks dinoy for that info- common sense would suggest you are correct but my experience with HMRC is that such sense doesn't always apply! BIRMA these kits are large scale US ww2 halftracks for rc. The company only made about 20 about 8 years ago and therefore a bit rare - just really very expensive boys toys and something else to waste my money on other than cars and mbh.

I import product from Denmark - no VAT or duty - it's "cross border trading"

The product is new & supplied by a vat registered company.

Thanks dinoy for that info- common sense would suggest you are correct but my experience with HMRC is that such sense doesn't always apply! BIRMA these kits are large scale US ww2 halftracks for rc. The company only made about 20 about 8 years ago and therefore a bit rare - just really very expensive boys toys and something else to waste my money on other than cars and mbh.

WOW they sound amazing as a fully paid up member of the big boys toys club I'd love to see some photos.

WOW they sound amazing as a fully paid up member of the big boys toys club I'd love to see some photos.

See if I can find a piccie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom