Vauxhall VXR trackday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fyonn

Car
BMW 330d
heya folks,

well, I was one of the people who spotted the post about the VXR trackday and immediately went and bought a couple of tickets. I had my session this morning. Firstly, brands hatch is a long way away for a guy from manchester, but it was the only location left :) fortunately the guy going with me lived half-way there in northampton.

anyways, as for the day. I have to say I thought it was well worth it. next time it comes up, put aside any badge snobbery and give it a go.

each car has an instructor who tells you what you should be doing at each part of the track. you get three laps, an out lap, main lap and an in lap. there's lots of cars, I thikn we had 28 cars amongst about 60 or so of us.

I don't think I waited more than 30 seconds from getting out of one car and into another. I must have done well over 30 laps of the brands hatch indy circuit by the end of the session with about 4 drives each in the astra and corsa vxr's, 2 rides in the mighty 6 litre VXR8 and singles rides in the vectra, zafira and moriva.

The cars: the moriva was nothing too special and the vectra was pretty slow. in every other car I got up to fourth gear on the short straight, but not in the vectra which was still making it's way up third.

the zafira was like an astra but with more headroom :)

the vxr8 was very powerful but actually, not terribly well suited to the circuit I thought. the indy track is only a mile and a half long or so and even the long straight isn't that long, so you can't really put down too much of the power and it's a heavy old beast. still fun though.

for me, the two stars of the day were, perhaps surprisingly, the astra and corsa vxr's. the astra was a good strong performer, handled well and was fun, but the little corsa vxr was a storm. it was by no means the quickest car, but it was so light, you could just throw it into corners. I think the fun factor came from the fact that you could get to the edge of performance in it a bit easier.

one one of my runs, with the aid of the instructor, I pushed that little corsa much harder than I've ever pushed a car before, and it all connected really well.

one thing that was a bit of a disappointment was that I missed a passenger run in a car driven by a proper race driver. there were too many people queueing for him sadly.

after all that we were ferried over to a different part of the site where paul swift (son of russ swift) led a team getting us to do slalom races with handbrake turns on a little cone mapped out course. after that, you got to ride with paul as he took a car onto two wheels and drove around like that for a bit before dropping back onto the tarmac!

shortly after that, he did a demo of his own precision driving, where he skidded and hand-brake turned etc around some parked cars to music. what a job to have!

then lunch and home!

all in all a great day and cheap at £95. if anyone s interested in such an event, I'd giv it a hearty thumbs up :)

dave

PS. anyone else go to one? if so, what did you think?

I was also there at Brands Hatch this morning.

Great fun and certainly value for money.

There was no sales talk and the driving was definitely good fun.....I thought the driving around cones thing was a bit boring, as I was really there for the track.

Definitely better value and more fun than the AMG experience at MB world :)

I was also there at Brands Hatch this morning.

Great fun and certainly value for money.

There was no sales talk and the driving was definitely good fun.....I thought the driving around cones thing was a bit boring, as I was really there for the track.

Definitely better value and more fun than the AMG experience at MB world :)

heh, you there too eh?

the driving round cones thing I enjoyed. not to the same level, but it was still fun and let me do things I don't really get to do much on the normal roads.

also, much as I'd love to do the AMG equivalent, I suspect it's not £95 :)

what did you think of the cars?

dave

The smaller cars were definitely more suited to the track. I prefered the Corsas and the Astras, and I was never without a drive in between changing cars.

The AMG experience is far more expensive. I did it last year. Also the track at MB world is not that big and is more of a handling track. Those AMGs really need a lot more room in order to stretch their legs :)

Also at the AMG one if you are unfortunate enough to have a slower driver in front of you, (which I did) you are not allowed to overtake, so you have to hang back and it totally ruins the drive. Also there is a lot of sales pitch in the whole thing - the skid pan down there is good fun though,but again the instructors hold you back bigtime !!

Certainly no free food or drinks at the AMG one....not even a toffee !!!

I must admit, I was disappointed with the MB one, considering that I spent a fortune down there....I did the AMG plus paid for my two kids to have an hour each in the A Class cars.

Last edited:
desilva said:
Also there is a lot of sales pitch in the whole thing

yeah, good call to vauxhall on this. the only thing approximating a sales pitch was that if we buy a vauxhall, we can get the cost of the experience back. other than that, it was just good old fun.

desilva said:
Certainly no free food or drinks at the AMG one....not even a toffee !!!

heh, those two bacon sandwiches went down really well this morning after an hour spent stuck on the M1!

dave

You're attending the wrong AMG events. The turn up and drive AMG sessions at Brooklands are fun but not great.

You need to go on an AMG owners event. I've attended two, and they are superb. On the most recent I had a whole day of one-to-one tuition - half in a CLK63 cab and half in a CLS63. Best of all, they're free.

In the old days the AMG events were held at MIRA in Warwickshire, which is much, much better than Brooklands for driving, but nowhere near as much shiny glass and stainless steel!! ;)

You're attending the wrong AMG events. The turn up and drive AMG sessions at Brooklands are fun but not great.

You need to go on an AMG owners event. I've attended two, and they are superb. On the most recent I had a whole day of one-to-one tuition - half in a CLK63 cab and half in a CLS63. Best of all, they're free.

In the old days the AMG events were held at MIRA in Warwickshire, which is much, much better than Brooklands for driving, but nowhere near as much shiny glass and stainless steel!! ;)

I think I'd buy an AMG for two free owner's full day events :D

I take it you were personally invited, due to MB having your details from purchasing/servicing your car?

Will

The first was the driving event supplied with a new AMG, the second was an invitation because I enjoyed the first one so much!!

Ah, so as you also enjoyed the second one so much does that make you eligible for a third! ;):D:)

Will

Ah, so as you also enjoyed the second one so much does that make you eligible for a third! ;):D:)

I've been itching for another go. Maybe I'll try a cheeky email and see how I get on!! ;) :D

I thought I posted following the MIRA event. Mrs D managed 155mph on the one mile straight. I found a reference to the Brooklands equivalent here: http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=33118

I was comparing like for like really - I don't own a Vauxhall, nor do I own an AMG.

But in a way, the VXR trackday and the AMG experience at MB world, are similar products that are being sold to the public.

Its just that the AMG experience at MB world is poor value for money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom