Vectra 2.5 v6 Sport.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Car
C350
Purely out of casual interest anyone happen to know bhp and top speed for one of these! As after tailgating me I accelarated and he couldnt keep up or overtake. My chipped 2 litre has 150bhp on a dyno.

Hmm, sounds like a driver issue, didn't drop a gear or didn't want to keep up to me!

whats 230kph? mines got peak torque of 183ibft what about the vectra

No direspect, but the GM 2.5V6 is a very swift motor as you would expect from 170bhp. Also not trying to be funny but if the car was tailgating you how do you know it was 2.5V6?

Agree with Graham, I went to Birmingham and Coventry last night in our 75hp TD Transit Connect, I blasted past several boy racers at traffic lights and roundabouts, purely down to luck that I was in the right gear and still moving or was able to see over them and see an overtaking opportunity that they did not. A young lad in a RSTurbo soon put me right on the straight and so did a Sprinter on the M6!!

He was driving very aggressivly so I floored it, the auto box dropped two gears and flew. I Guess I was just right on revs and maybe Grahams right mayb the Vectra didnt change down but he did come afterme!! I know he was a 2.5 coz at the next motorway junction he came tearing down the outside and cut me and everyone else up!

Well, sad to admit that my "other" car used mostly for transporting dog is a 1997 Vectra 2.5 V6 Sri Estate (and no, I have not tailgated anyone recently)

That does 0-62 in 8.5 seconds, will do 145 mph. Non estates and the newer 2.6's are quicker. The old model GSi's boast around 200bhp and are very much sought after, so that some of the older V6 SRi's end up body modded, chipped, cammed & airboxed up to GSi spec.

So fairly rapid in standard form but not that punchy below 3200rpm, above that they take off. Engine revs freely and easy to go from 80 to 115+ without much effort, so your tailgater may have backed off. If it was a GSi, certain of it.

I am getting a 4x4 soon as the dog is getting so damn big there is no room for anything else and this very fine, well maintained example of V6 SRi Vectradom will be in the classifieds at a very modest and entirely reasonable price...

R2D2 said:
He was driving very aggressivly so I floored it, the auto box dropped two gears and flew. I Guess I was just right on revs and maybe Grahams right mayb the Vectra didnt change down but he did come afterme!! I know he was a 2.5 coz at the next motorway junction he came tearing down the outside and cut me and everyone else up!

Having read that post think you are right. 2.5 drivers may not tend to drop gears because they usually do not need to. Cannot remember the last time I had to or could be bothered to drop into 4th on the motorway when at speed.

ah the joys of an MB auto box!

jimmy said:
Also not trying to be funny but if the car was tailgating you how do you know it was 2.5V6?

I had a similar experience this week.

Single carriageway A road, straight, know it very well. As I am approaching a car ahead (cruising at 70ish) I see in my mirror a w208 CLK approaching rapidly. Not just behind me, but up to my bumper.

Those of you who think a car is for getting A to B, mark this thread as read now. The rest of you will know this is time for fun.

As if a rolling start line we had to slow to about 50mph letting oncoming traffic pass until it was clear to the horizon. I was already in 3rd gear ready to go. As the last oncoming car was passing my indicator was on, a last mirror check to make sure the CLK had not beat me to it and I was passing.

The CLK took the bait and was on my tail. Frantic mirror checking eased a big grin on my face as I pulled ahead. I was flat out in 3rd and up to 110mph in 4th before I caught the next car. We slowed and then again overtook in a similar sequence.

In my opinion he was trying as hard as I, although most likely had an auto box just letting kick down do it's stuff.

Later up the road, short of the next round about I slowed tryting to get him to pass. The traffic didn't allow, but at the next roundabout I could see enough as he peeled of to know only it was either a CLK230 or a 320. As we were momenterily parrallel as he passed on my inside he gave a knowing glance. The CLK was debaged so I will never know.

Last edited:
GrahamC230K said:
I had a similar experience this week.

Single carriageway A road, straight, know it very well. As I am approaching a car ahead (cruising at 70ish) I see in my mirror a w208 CLK approaching rapidly. Not just behind me, but up to my bumper.

Those of you who think a car is for getting A to B, mark this thread as read now. The rest of you will know this is time for fun.

As if a rolling start line we had to slow to about 50mph letting oncoming traffic pass until it was clear to the horizon. I was already in 3rd gear ready to go. As the last oncoming car was passing my indicator was on, a last mirror check to make sure the CLK had not beat me to it and I was passing.

The CLK took the bait and was on my tail. Frantic mirror checking eased a big grin on my face as I pulled ahead. I was flat out in 3rd and up to 110mph in 4th before I caught the next car. We slowed and then again overtook in a similar sequence.

In my opinion he was trying as hard as I, although most likely had an auto box just letting kick down do it's stuff.

Later up the road, short of the next round about I slowed tryting to get him to pass. The traffic didn't allow, but at the next roundabout I could see enough as he peeled of to know only it was either a CLK230 or a 320. As we were momenterily parrallel as he passed on my inside he gave a knowing glance. The CLK was debaged so I will never know.
Thats cool story. I did't know the C230k will do 110mph in 3rd

mercedes lover said:
Thats cool story. I did't know the C230k will do 110mph in 3rd

It won't!!

"flat out in 3rd and up to 110mph in 4th"

I meant flat out in 3rd, then into 4th to 110mph.

3rd runs out of steam at 90mph ish and 4th pulls hard until 120mph.

GrahamC230K said:
It won't!!

Out of interest, have you done any advanced driving courses?

While on the subject ... i managed to out accelerate a Skyline GTR today for all of ....... 2 seconds :p

Flip said:

I dont know about Graham but I've done my Institute of Advanced Motoring test 3 times (just to keep my hand in), I completed the Masterdrive program, I've done skidpans at Goodwood and Millbrooke test ground, I've had race tuition at Brands Hatch, Knockhill, Goodwood and Millbrooke. I also raced karts which is really cool training for getting use to catching skids.

All this training and i now know that very few people can catch a skid above 50mph and at 90mph I am driving beyond my ability to control a violent swerve perhaps caused by a blown tyre, I also know that at 146mph (achieved on Millbrookes Bowl) I am utterly reliant on the machine not breaking and the road surface not having a fault or a bit of someones exhaust pipe on it.

Keeps you humble to remember how vunerable you are at speed. Like all education, the more you learn the less you realise you know.

did it look like this ??

first time ive tried this so hope it works

nice wheels though

A mod too far I think!

QUOTE=didgit]first time ive tried this so hope it works

nice wheels though[/QUOTE]

Flip said:

Funny, the last Policeman I spoke to asked me that.

GrahamC230K said:
It won't!!

Pah..not so good. Years ago I was in a Metro 1.3 that topped 100mph in third....seriously. The driver had claimed to have done 90 and we didn't believe him so.... :D

Mind you it finished the gearbox. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom